AndylizedAAY

Troubleshooting the Ultimate Commonplace book problem

14 posts in this topic

Leo made a video about having a commonplace book online but I keep experiencing this problem (shown in screenshot):

The commplace book never loads for Windows 10. Because of the sanctions from the Russian-Ukranian war, I am unable to have access to the paid version, what do I do?

Screenshot (176).png

You can buy old versions on eBay.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The OneNote you're using is going to be deprecated in 2025, it has already been hidden from the Microsoft Store.

Use an older version or switch to another app.

Check out Obsidian. It's a bit more technical but worth learning after all. Your commonplace book is stored as local markdown files, so you don't have to depend on any company even if the app stops being offered. And it is future-proofed and free.

It ultimately depends on what your preferences are.

Joplin is similar to Obsidian but simpler (it's markdown as well).

If you just need text, I'd rather go for Notepad++ ;)

For anything "Mind Mapping" I use Windows Explorer, folders, pictures and .txt files with naming convention (date...)

Have a good snapshot tool, for capturing things from the internet or documents (I use Lightscreen).

And a dark theme for everything to reduce eyes strain.

11 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

The OneNote you're using is going to be deprecated in 2025, it has already been hidden from the Microsoft Store.

So what exactly is wrong with onenote? Are you saying Microsoft willl stop maintaing it in 2025? 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, King Merk said:

So what exactly is wrong with onenote? Are you saying Microsoft willl stop maintaing it in 2025? 

Nothing really, if you like it.

There are currently two OneNote apps on Windows:

1. OneNote for Windows 10
  2. Microsoft OneNote

The former is the one we're talking about. It's like a tablet-oriented app. Its naming is confusing as it is also available on Windows 11.

Microsoft recently decided to consolidate its efforts on the latter, which is the desktop version, the one that works and looks as the one in the commonplace video. More info:

Making it easier to get the OneNote app on Windows

Edited by UnbornTao

@UnbornTao thank you for clarifying

yea I use Microsoft onenote every day and love it 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@Leo Gura

On 11/7/2022 at 11:23 PM, Leo Gura said:

You can buy old versions on eBay.

Would it work even with sanctions?

@AndylizedAAY maybe it's location-locked. Try using a VPN.

If that doesn't work, perhaps use a combination of VPN and installing through the command line:

On 11/15/2022 at 11:42 PM, UnbornTao said:

@AndylizedAAY maybe it's location-locked. Try using a VPN.

If that doesn't work, perhaps use a combination of VPN and installing through the command line:

@UnbornTao I thought that a VPN doesn't work for sanctions. I tried installing one from the web store but it doesn't work on my computer and neither does Google Play. Also, I don't understand why Leo says need a physical keyboard for my ultimate commonplace book. Couldn't I just speak what I wanted to type to my phone?

Edited by AndylizedAAY
Minor errors.

@AndylizedAAY then I don't know of any other solutions -- apart from buying an older version on eBay as Leo suggested above.

Having a good-quality keyboard for me is a must. Basically it's the most efficient way to manipulate and organize a lot of text and content.

You could also learn to use Obsidian, another modern app.

Test things out to see what works best for you.

Edited by UnbornTao

23 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

@AndylizedAAY then I don't know of any other solutions.

Having a good-quality keyboard for me is a must. Basically it's the most efficient way to manipulate and organize a lot of text and content. Test things out to see what works best for you. You could also learn to use Obsidian.

@UnbornTao The video you posted might have a solution, I will watch it during my free time. Also, I am use with taking notes of what Leo says on my phone but having a physical keyboard would be a bonus I guess.