cle103

Fear of giving talks and leading meetings

8 posts in this topic

About a year ago I had to give a talk to about 20 customers via Zoom.

I didn't think much of it as I was never really afraid of giving talks or the like. However, in this case I just froze. I tried to suppress the panic that arose but I couldn't get a full sentence out. One of my coworkers saved the intro and after about 5 minutes I was fine and able to continue. 

Ever since then I get anxious about giving a talk or leading meetings. I struggle to get words out for the first couple of minutes and then I'm fine again.

This is unpleasant, annoying and I can sense that I'm avoiding these situations. 

I know that I can only really get over the fear by facing it but it's really difficult to just "feel the fear" when you have to perform. If anyone has insights or experiences regarding this, please let me know!

- Cheers 

Putting yourself in more of these situations is what will really help to overcome this. I would highly recommend trying out some toastmasters. You could do it online, but in person would grow you faster. 

14 minutes ago, Average Investor said:

Putting yourself in more of these situations is what will really help to overcome this.

Yep. You're nervous because you don't have experience. So then you have to imagine how the experience will be. Your imagination is not as accurate as the real experience. So, it will make it seem much scarier than it is and make you flustered.

Aside from that, people are much nicer and open-minded than you think. People have their own problems and demons that they hide. They're not perfect, so why expect yourself to be perfect? The meeting will be over after a while anyways. You probably won't even remember it 5 years from now. Might as well just go for it and not be nervous while doing it. Being nervous is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're nervous cause you don't wanna mess up, and then the nervousness makes you flustered.

Edited by Osaid

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

Imagine yourself in those situations and then deconstruct whatever comes up.

See what thoughts and deficiency stories come up and what sensations in your body they're connected to and hold them in your awareness until they dissolve.

Simply putting yourself in those situations isn't going to remove the fear.

Toastmasters

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback