Leo Gura

Elon Musk Twitter Trainwreck Mega-Thread

548 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

You must be unaware of the China issues on YouTube.

All the Hong Kong videos got demonetized and/or hidden by the algorithm.

All videos critical of China get the same treatment by YouTube.

Yet YouTube has no problem with staged videos of "happy dancing Uighurs" by CCP-sponsored shills.

Look, no platform will ever be perfect.

It's so silly when people cherrypick a few examples of moderation mistakes and then howl about it like wolves.

Dealing with China is extremely complicated. The US government doesn't even know how to do it well.

3 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

As of now Musk has not meddled with the existing content moderation policies. The hate speech simply increased just by the people reacting to Musk buying the platform. Now it's coming down to it's normal levels as was the case before the deal. 

Yes he has, by firing half the staff. There's no one left to moderate anything.

Plus he's allowing all the violators back.

He simply doesn't believe in moderation. That's the fundamental problem. Moderating a platform the size of Twitter requires entire buildings full of dedicated staff. It's not something that just takes care of itself. Musk fundamentally doesn't understand the depth of this problem and what harm/chaos it will cause.

People will be using Twitter to do everything from staging terrorist attacks, government coups, and Nazi rallies, to molesting children, to running scams, to selling drugs and high explosives, to sharing animal mutilation videos, to harassing every minority group there is, to doxxing people, to spreading every possible form of misinformation and conspiracy theory. And foreign spies will be using it to undermine democracy around the world.

And Musk is just acting like he can wing this based on his personal whims. This is not 2004 internet days. These social media platforms are way too mature for that now and they have enormous responsibilities to minimize social harm and predatory behavior.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think the most annoying and pervasive problem these tech companies need to address is bots. Perhaps it's in their interest to have inflated numbers so they turn a blind eye, or maybe they don't know how to distinguish real users from bots, or even that they don't mind certain institutions or movements using bots if it aligns with their political or financial goals.

It's just frustrating seeing a lot of clear disinformation and influence being spread around using bots. You go to any Youtube video and can spot them immediately, and I'm convinced 80% of the women on dating apps are bots lol. Which is kind of disgusting and unethical because they are using a collection of a real persons pictures without their consent.

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy

1 hour ago, Roy said:

I think the most annoying and pervasive problem these tech companies need to address is bots. Perhaps it's in their interest to have inflated numbers so they turn a blind eye, or maybe they don't know how to distinguish real users from bots, or even that they don't mind certain institutions or movements using bots if it aligns with their political or financial goals.

It's just frustrating seeing a lot of clear disinformation and influence being spread around using bots. You go to any Youtube video and can spot them immediately, and I'm convinced 80% of the women on dating apps are bots lol. Which is kind of disgusting and unethical because they are using a collection of a real persons pictures without their consent.

I highly agree, hate when most tech companies or other companies misuse A.I programs and algorithms for their gain. I especially hate the A.I. drawing programs nowadays, and now some artists that use those are getting copyright strikes, it's ridiculous.

Also ridiculous of how Elon Musk is degrading Twitter as time goes on. How many more days can the internet take of Elon Musk trolling and breaking Twitter before the internet's eyes?

6 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Big if true.

What's big? Hunter Biden doing drugs and having sex? We kind of like that on the left, good for him. We are not grannies like you.

Was he using his last name for his own benefit and business? So what. I'm not against that either.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Look, no platform will ever be perfect.

It's so silly when people cherrypick a few examples of moderation mistakes and then howl about it like wolves.

Dealing with China is extremely complicated. The US government doesn't even know how to do it well.

That ain't no mistake.

Google and YouTube are corrupt.  The issue is their management.

You say Elon is the problem, and that YouTube is an example of how Twitter should be.  Yet it's the opposite.  YouTube's style of management is the problem, and Elon's style of management is the solution.  You don't see YouTube's CEO actively engaging with its users, or making polls, or making jokes, or caring AT ALL about its user's needs, or doing anything at all useful!  Instead, what we get is YouTube taking bribes and shutting down anything ever remotely anti-CCP.  Yes, they're taking bribes.  It couldn't be any more obvious at this point.  That's not what you call a mistake, or an example that Twitter should follow.

Edited by thisintegrated

2 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

That ain't no mistake.

Google and YouTube are corrupt.  The issue is their management.

You say Elon is the problem, and that YouTube is an example of how Twitter should be.  Yet it's the opposite.  YouTube's style of management is the problem, and Elon's style of management is the solution.  You don't see YouTube's CEO actively engaging with its users, or making polls, or making jokes, or caring AT ALL about its user's needs, or doing anything at all useful!  Instead, what we get is YouTube taking bribes and shutting down anything ever remotely anti-CCP.  Yes, they're taking bribes.  It couldn't be any more obvious at this point.  That's not what you call a mistake, or an example that Twitter should follow.

Wait till you realize that Musk has Tesla factories in China and that he will certainly be hearing from the CCP about how to manage Twitter if he wants to keep his factories operational.

In India their laws literally require keeping offices and employees on their soil, so that if you fail to moderate content the gov doesn't like, they will arrest your employees.

Musk's show of populism is so paper thin it's gross. When the business gets seriously, he's not gonna care about polling you for what to do. He's doing that now because he's like a child playing with a baby crocodile he just bought. That crocodile will not stay a baby for long.

The Chinese are thrilled right now that Twitter is now run a single guy half of who's factories are in China.

YouTube's management has been working tirelessly to serve the user's needs for 15 years. The users don't even comprehend what their needs are when it comes to social media. Nor does Musk.

Musk is like an edgey teen who takes over a 1st grade classroom and polls the kids what they want for lunch: A) one bucket of ice cream, or B) two buckets of ice cream. Meanwhile a pedophile is luring kids into the bathroom.

Musk shows no understanding for how devil actors will exploit and manipulate his platform. The situation with the Blue paid check marks clearly shows this. Anyone with half a brain about how such things work could have predicted that Musk's changes would be badly abused, as they immediately were. You're gonna let ANY hacker and spammer earn a blue badge by paying $8/mo to prey on your gullible userbase? What a plan!

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura What do you think will happen going forward?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

36 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Leo Gura What do you think will happen going forward?

It's very unclear.

Seems like Musk will be forced into a corner to completely overhaul Twitter in order to make it into a WeChat clone. Which might kill the whole platform. But there's also a small chance it might succeed.

Musk is def not going to make any money off Twitter in its current form. His tinkering around the edges will not change anything other than invite more trolls.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Wait till you realize that Musk has Tesla factories in China and that he will certainly be hearing from the CCP about how to manage Twitter if he wants to keep his factories operational.

That's just him being naiive.  I completely understand his mindset, but of course I still think he's an idiot for it.

In India their laws literally require keeping offices and employees on their soil, so that if you fail to moderate content the gov doesn't like, they will arrest your employees.

idk much about India tbh.  It's so underdeveloped that nothing would surprise me.  If they literally shit in the streets, who cares about the law?  Reds should deal Red matters.

Musk's show of populism is so paper thin it's gross. When the business gets seriously, he's not gonna care about polling you for what to do. He's doing that now because he's like a child playing with a baby crocodile he just bought. That crocodile will not stay a baby for long.

I think the "populism" comes from his need to be seen as "cool".  But I don't think he's a populist.

1. He crashed BTC last year
  2. The boring company was never popular.  Elon just, rightly, recognized the need to take the cost of tunnelling down.  And he did it cause literally noone else in the world would.  That's what he thought, and he was right.  Without him starting unpopular things, nothing would happen.  Everyone ridiculed electric cars before Tesla, and they still ridicule the idea of self-driving cars.  These things were NOT popular!
  3. How much support ya think Elon got when he wanted to start a rocket company for going to Mars?  How much support do his Mars ambitions get today?  The whole of reddit and almost everyone over 30 thinks he's fucking retarded.  Not popular.

The Chinese are thrilled right now that Twitter is now run a single guy half of who's factories are in China.

Y'know.. e-car factories in China were always 100% inevitable.  100%.  Either an American company gains market share with the help of China, or China steals Tesla-tech anyway and eats up 90% of Tesla's market share within a couple decades.

YouTube's management has been working tirelessly to serve the user's needs for 15 years. The users don't even comprehend what their needs are when it comes to social media. Nor does Musk.

I could come up with 100 decisions YouTube fucked its users with.  Google's almost as bad as Microsoft.  You see the new Google app icons which all look the same and everyone hates with a passion?  Google's run by idiots with paychecks too huge to care.

Here's a few:

1. Shadowbanning even non-controversial channels with the broken algorithm
  2. Making thumbnails massive so only a few videos can be seen without scrolling
  3. Filling user feed with 90% watched videos
  4. Making it impossible to manage subscriptions in any way (I have to use an extension to group subscriptions into categories)
  5. Hiding dislike button
  6. Completely failing at spam-prevention
  7. Completely giving up on developing for the mobile version
  8. Never showing uploads from favorite youtubers again if you miss just one upload
  9. Algorithm preferring to show old watched videos over actual new content.
Edited by thisintegrated

30 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I could come up with 100 decisions YouTube fucked its users with.

You have disagreements with a governing authority? What else is new?

This might be a shocking notion, but no online platform or company is run to pamper to your every personal demand.

idk much about India tbh.  It's so underdeveloped that nothing would surprise me.  If they literally shit in the streets, who cares about the law?  Reds should deal Red matters.

Musk will soon realize that most countries around the world do not care about the 1st Amendment and have very strict demands about what kind of speech must be swiftly taken down. And if Musk doesn't follow their laws Twitter will be kicked out of places like: India, Russia, Germany, EU, etc.

Not to mention that the US government will be investigating and suing him for all sorts of privacy non-compliance, which Twitter will surely be guilty of under his careless leadership. Twitter is already under all sorts of federal injunctions for past violations. Twitter had entire departments dedicated to ensuring compliance with government regulators like the FCC and the EU -- which Musk axed. He's gonna face so many lawsuits he'll wish he never opened a Twitter account. When some mass shooter posts his racist manifesto on Twitter, or some kid dies from eating a Tied-Pod, Musk will be personally sued for that.

Edited by Leo Gura

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This might be a shocking notion, but no online platform or company is run to pamper to your every personal demand.

Why so jumpy with conclusions?  Aren't you meant to be roleplaying Turquoise?

They should care about their product.  If they don't they're unfit to be in charge.  It's that simple.

My suggestions are less for my own benefit than for what's right.  I don't even care about YouTube or Twitter, nor do I care what Elon does as it in no way touches me.  Idk why this stuff interests me, I just like complicated topics.  There's no benefit to me, personally, in anything I say.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You have disagreements with a governing authority? What else is new?

I don't.  Why would it seem that way?

Edited by thisintegrated

12 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

They should care about their product.  If they don't they're unfit to be in charge.  It's that simple.

You confuse your personal needs and demands for what YT ought to do.

Edited by Leo Gura

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Your confuse your personal needs and demands for what YT ought to do.

Maybe I'm not communicating clearly.

There's a reason the profession of "UX designer" exists.  UX people aren't just arrogant entitled assholes.  Their job is to know what people will enjoys using.  It's their one and only job.  People all have different opinions, but all opinions are not equal.  If a random guy told a structural engineer how to build a bridge, you'd think the guy is an arrogant fool, yet this is what you do to designers.

https://bootcamp.uxdesign.cc/why-googles-new-app-icons-are-pretty-bad-10f1ec40ab04

Elnz7LYX0AIk-Gh.jpg

Everyone hates this.  It's objectively bad.  This was likely a myopic attempt at "uniformity" by the managers at Google.

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated

You don't like the icon of Google Maps? Talk about 1st world problems.

Look, dude, you're nitpicking the work of a company.

So what? You can nitpick any company's product endlessly. There's a ton of stuff that's sub-optimal in the design of all consumer products.

Overall, Google products are very well designed, despite your nitpicking. Which is why the whole world uses them.

Edited by Leo Gura

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@thisintegrated Look, dude, you're nitpicking the work for a company.

So what? You can nitpick any company's product endlessly. There's a ton of stuff that's sub-optimal in the design of all consume products.

Fair enough?

Was just clearing up you what you seemed confused on.

4 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

YouTube's style of management is the problem, and Elon's style of management is the solution

You are going fucking bullocks my friend,  a social media can either lean towards banning more people and having some false positives, which is reversible. Or lean towards ban pacifism, having lots of idiots on their platform(s). the first approach is obviously superior

Youtube pretty much always reverses false positives because they get shit for it on other social media platforms, People can scream very loudly when their livelihood is at risk, which solves the problem, Youtube is counting on that.

4 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

You don't see YouTube's CEO actively engaging with its users, or making polls, or making jokes, or caring AT ALL about its user's needs,

We're talking about Twitter and yet you fail to see a single tweet Youtube has tweeted out in the last few years, p.s it's literally just jokes, polls & engaging with their users. But I fail to see what jokes have to do with Leadership and Management. 

YouTube's Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouTube

Elon is planning on unbanning everyone on Twitter, because he's so sure that twitter's prior management under Jack has done a horrible job at judging who deserves a ban. Everyone who wasn't verified could literally just create a second account, so if he wanted to do this the right way he could just review all verified accounts and decide whether or not they deserve to be back

The rule 10,000 hours works with companies as well yk, so far youtube has 148,920 hours, Twitters management team is basically abolished so let's count Elon's... ah its 4 months. Elon has basically paused twitter's development

I am convinced that most companies grow smarter and better as time passes, because they learn, especially from their darker times. People don't just stay at these workhorse companies and care less and less, dumber and dumber as years pass by, its the opposite.

Google is kinda like the Scandanavia of business, I watched them become more and more open with their customers, they don't even take profit on their Phones, their storage price jumps are a reasonable $100 extra.

They're not so money thirsty and secretive as Apple is

They have hundreds of branches that extend far from what they're known for

That being said I don't want to suck their d and not say that they're not a complete and utter cancer for privacy, security kinda comes with the territory.. the bigger you are the more unrealistic it becomes. Which is why linux is the king of security and also the least popular OS.

Edited by MarkKol
Trying to be more accurate

3 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

I am convinced that most companies grow smarter and better as time passes, because they learn, especially from their darker times. People don't just stay at these workhorse companies and care less and less, dumber and dumber as years pass by, its the opposite.

They grow complacent too.  If you make billions regardless of good or bad decisions, there's no incentive to save every penny.

3 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

Google is kinda like the Scandanavia of business, I watched them become more and more open with their customers, they don't even take profit on their Phones, their storage price jumps are a reasonable $100 extra.

Google managers can just request 100m for a project, do what they want with it, and then give up claiming it's a money sink.  Google is faaaar from efficient.  

39 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

They grow complacent too.  If you make billions regardless of good or bad decisions, there's no incentive to save every penny.

Google managers can just request 100m for a project, do what they want with it, and then give up claiming it's a money sink.  Google is faaaar from efficient.  

Hey man no hard feelings towards you even tho I called you bullocks, I don't want to disprove or turn down anything you're saying here because you might be right.

In fact you are right, Google is far from efficient. As claimed by the ceo himself, literally.

Screenshot_20221126-051626_Chrome.jpg