Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flim

"White people have been at the forefront of the liberation of blacks in America"

1 post in this topic

So I stumbled upon this interview of rapper KRS-One talking about racism in America, the civil rights movement and hip-hop's role in that fight. But what I didn't expect was such a deep and nuanced take on it without "picking sides." 

At around 2min 17secs he states:

"The real freedom movement [in America] has no color on it and if it did it would be revolutionary white people that would be at the front of it"

And

"Of course there's people like me in the United States. Black men that are fighting for freedom everyday. Every day we never let up, ever. It's in my blood. I will always stand for the cause of black liberation, no doubt. But I stand for Truth also. I stand for humanity first. The deepest part to being black is being African. The deepest part to being African is being human. The deepest part to being human is being God. The deepest part to being God is being Love. Being intelligence and all of the above, understanding, mercy. All that is God-like. What would you rather be, black or God? Who are you really, African-American or human? I tend to lean toward human myself."

Thoughts?