Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zedi

The Most Silent Room In The World - The Anechoic Chamber

3 posts in this topic

I remember reading about the anechoic chamber a while back and I thought it must be interesting to go inside. It's called the most silent room in the world because it drowns out 99% of external noise leaving you with only the sound of your organs moving around to listen to. Thought it was interesting given our relationship to sound and silence. 

"Absolute silence is filled by the sound of your own body. You can hear your breathing, your heart beating, you can hear the blood in your veins. You can hear your pulse, you can hear your bones rub against each other, you can hear your skin sliding over your muscles. You can hear tendons creak, organs churning . . . and that’s usually about the point where people start hearing things that aren’t really there."

http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/06/02/true-silence-will-drive-you-mad/

They say it ends up driving you mad  but what I'm wondering is if the madness is created by our tendency to fear silence and fight against it. Also the whole tendon cracking bone rubbing noises we're unfamiliar with so one's bound to get disoriented at first :D. Sounds trippy Lol. I'm curious about whether the madness is limited to people who aren't ready for what their minds are about to throw on them or are even the best of meditators screwed here? And what would happen if you just go with the silence and let it be or better yet go into meditation :|  My guess is that if  you've been meditating for years it would give you new insights much like a psychedelic would. So would you try it?   

These rooms are mostly privatized but if you're lucky enough to live in the city where they're available around the world you're allowed to rent them out. 

This is the one Minneapolis. 

17io20be9nfszjpg.jpg