Illusory Self

How often do you take time off personal dev?

8 posts in this topic

Curious as to how often people schedule out 'me' time with a worry of personally developing themselves. 

I think this is crucial to avoid burn out and want to set it up in my calendar but I am not sure how often to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

Curious as to how often people schedule out 'me' time with a worry of personally developing themselves. 

I think this is crucial to avoid burn out and want to set it up in my calendar but I am not sure how often to do it. 

Shouldn't the basic concept of finding the right balance between downtime and work be integrated into your personal development routine? Not sure these two things are that separate. Downtime shouldn't be viewed as "cheat days" or similar, it should be viewed as regularly scheduled daily / weekly activities that you enjoy and allow you to maintain your desired level of productivity.

Edited by thepixelmonk

@thepixelmonk I think what's worse is I don't even know what I enjoy. 

For way to long I would grind by only doing personal development all the time and it would always lead to burn out because I had nothing to look forward to 

How do you find enjoyments? 

1 hour ago, Illusory Self said:

@thepixelmonk I think what's worse is I don't even know what I enjoy. For way too long I would grind by only doing personal development all the time and it would always lead to burn out because I had nothing to look forward to.

Honestly I think finding things that you truly enjoy is not as simple or easy a task as its kind of initially seems like it should be, and that the process of finding these things requires development and should be viewed as just as important as all the other aspects of your work. After all how you enjoy life is quite an important aspect of who you are. Work on having as much clarity as possible around what you value, spend time on reflecting on what's important to you, go through leo's life purpose course, etc. Schedule in regular time to experiment with different activities. Focus on things that are healthy and creative and that help you enjoy the processes and systems you are setting up for yourself.

wtf..

Most introspection occurs during "me time".  It's not something you need to count reps and sets for.

You cannot quantify this.

How can you even think about

Yeah, I'd echo the sentiments that personal development basically is my "me" time.

Maybe part of the problem is that "personal development" is quite a broad term. It could describe everything from reading a book for enjoyment in your spare time (very little effort / discipline required) ... all the way to struggling to learn programming along with an online course (lots of effort / discipline required.) Or stuff in between like meditation where sometimes it's relaxation and sometimes it's torture.

Most people have so much free time that it's not really a concern though. Schedule out every hour of every day for a week, and see how much time you aren't doing anything, or it's totally flexible to switch it with something else.

I'd say I'm always working on improving myself. Even if I'm doing something pedestrian like spectating a ballgame from the stands.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.