GroovyGuru

Tips or resources for how to become funnier?

24 posts in this topic

@Phil King Popular comedians can seem more funny than they are because of social proof.

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

22 minutes ago, Eyowey said:

Popular comedians can seem more funny than they are because of social proof.

Social proof that is hardly earned through being funny, yeah.

46 minutes ago, petar8p said:

Social proof that is hardly earned through being funny, yeah.

If you can be funny all the time it shows a lot of healthy traits (like confidence, mental health, social intelligence…) about yourself and therefore is a legit way to gain social proof. 

I started taking an interest in comedy as an art form about 5 years ago. While I've read a good handful of books on the subject (comedy writing, theory of comedy) since it does interest me, I've probably learned the most from watching LOTS of standup. All sorts. Famous, obscure, new comics, seasoned and respected, US, international, etc. People from all sorts of different backgrounds, with different personalities, and different styles of humour and perspectives of the world.

But then, I didn't just watch it to be entertained and to laugh, but to study it because I found it interesting. Like if it works for you or doesn't, why?  Who laughs at what, in what way, how much... and why?  What doesn't work is just as important as what does... This then informs your own comedic/ perspective-generating process. Then, it's like a feedback loop: rinse and repeat, over and over again. You get different ideas, throw them out, test them out in conversation. Other times: you let ideas incubate or "marinate" for a while; it's more of a solo process.

Another aspect of it (and maybe this is a personal thing too), is just continuing to observe reality better, like both people, other situations, and myself emotionally, and also in different ways. In non-obvious and unexpected ways. It required learning to find humour everywhere, and in the mundane and ordinary. In a way, you have to learn how to get outside your own seriousness// sense of self-absorption better.

As an art form, I believe that it's something that should exist for its own sake first and to satisfy, grow, and even heal yourself... and everything else comes afterwards. Making other people laugh, getting attention, being seen as a better version of yourself... all of that should come strictly second.

IMO, in order to be really good at it (like, having "wit" as opposed to just being "funny"), you have to be more than just confident, spontaneous, etc. You need to know yourself, and to have something to say and to share with others, perspective-wise. You have to "know" the subject of whatever it is that is your comedic focus well enough, whether that target is yourself, or it's about others, your environment, culture and society, etc. That requires a lot of being present and paying attention, just to start off.

Edited by eos_nyxia