Rayko

So what's your excuse?

19 posts in this topic

What is a behavior/habit you wish to change? what is your go to excuse for why you don't do it? What step are you taking to overcome it?

I personally spent way too much time playing video games as a means of sticking my head in the sand.  Sad part is I didn't even realize how much this was holding back my personal growth, but you tend to get more of what you focus on.  I have recently relapsed a bit after being injured, off work and on pain meds.  I am currently weening myself back off again using meditation and written daily goals on a whiteboard near my desk. 

Edited by Rayko

Actualized.org << my biggest excuse from doing enlightenment work EVAR! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Rayko said:

What is a behavior/habit you wish to change? what is your go to excuse for why you don't do it? What step are you taking to overcome it?

I personally spent way too much time playing video games as a means of sticking my head in the sand.  Sad part is I didn't even realize how much this was holding back my personal growth, but you tend to get more of what you focus on.  I have recently relapsed a bit after being injured, off work and on pain meds.  I am currently weening myself back off again using meditation and written daily goals on a whiteboard near my desk. 

Here are the behaviors about me that i like to change:

- Wake up at 5 on weekdays and 6 on weekends. I go on and off on this. The max I have done is for 7 days and then I somehow find reasons to go back to waking up late. 

- I am sure everyone wants to do this one. Workout everyday. Again I do this at a stretch for 7 to 10 days and then fall off the wagon.

- Meditate - I would like to meditate for one hour in the morning. Again inconsistent. 

- Eat healthy. I want to follow a ketogenic diet. Eat low carbs, more fat and protein. Avoid sugar. We eat vegetarian at home so it becomes very difficult. 

- Lose tummy fat. My waist is 34, I would like to go to 28 to 30 which I was before. 

How can I be more disciplined? 

Pick one and work on that. Set reasonable goals and track your results. Then when you feel you have that at the level you desire move onto something else. 

2 hours ago, Rayko said:

Pick one and work on that. Set reasonable goals and track your results. Then when you feel you have that at the level you desire move onto something else. 

great suggestion! Thanks!

reading sends me away from what i need to do. very clever ruse. 

3 hours ago, VT said:

Here are the behaviors about me that i like to change:

- Wake up at 5 on weekdays and 6 on weekends. I go on and off on this. The max I have done is for 7 days and then I somehow find reasons to go back to waking up late. 

- I am sure everyone wants to do this one. Workout everyday. Again I do this at a stretch for 7 to 10 days and then fall off the wagon.

- Meditate - I would like to meditate for one hour in the morning. Again inconsistent. 

- Eat healthy. I want to follow a ketogenic diet. Eat low carbs, more fat and protein. Avoid sugar. We eat vegetarian at home so it becomes very difficult. 

- Lose tummy fat. My waist is 34, I would like to go to 28 to 30 which I was before. 

How can I be more disciplined? 

I can't site specific studies to provide hard evidence but generally, you are more likely to retain a habit that is incorporated slowly and gradually into your daily routine vs sudden drastic changes.  If you want to improve your diet, start by only drinking water, or having one day a week that is dedicated to eating healthy.  Over time, as you successfully implement these habits, you can increase them.  If you want to workout and meditate for an hour every day, first prove to yourself that you can do, well, anything every day.  Meditate for 5 or 10 minutes every day.  Go for a 20 minute walk every day.  Start small and gradually integrate these positive habits instead of setting too ambitious of a goal and not being able to maintain it.

The real power of this comes from building the discipline to make a commitment and follow through.  Start very very small.  Pick one thing to focus on.  You've got plenty of time, no need to rush!

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you can be aware of your self, what ever it is that you are doing and your bodily actions and be present while you are doing it, you are doing enlightenment work whilst working on Actualized.org :)

17 hours ago, Phocus said:

I can't site specific studies to provide hard evidence but generally, you are more likely to retain a habit that is incorporated slowly and gradually into your daily routine vs sudden drastic changes.  If you want to improve your diet, start by only drinking water, or having one day a week that is dedicated to eating healthy.  Over time, as you successfully implement these habits, you can increase them.  If you want to workout and meditate for an hour every day, first prove to yourself that you can do, well, anything every day.  Meditate for 5 or 10 minutes every day.  Go for a 20 minute walk every day.  Start small and gradually integrate these positive habits instead of setting too ambitious of a goal and not being able to maintain it.

The real power of this comes from building the discipline to make a commitment and follow through.  Start very very small.  Pick one thing to focus on.  You've got plenty of time, no need to rush!

Phocus superb! Thank you!

Hey guys, 

So, I've been journaling for the last 2 months, every day, and what I've been doing is that I am writing a little list of what I am going to do (or at least try to do) on the next day, and when I wake up the next morning, I don't lose my time into thinking of what I must do today or with what I have to begin my day, I have everything pre-planned. This helps me breaking my bad habits (actually I have broken 2 of them already) and developing new habits. And If I think of myself 2 months ago (wasn't journaling, and hadn't heard of your website Leo :D ) I think there has been a little bit of an improvement in my personal discipline. So, that pre-planning thing is working for me quite well, even though I can't accomplish everything every day,  that are on my list, but just trying my best to do that is already a nice thing for me (everything is ahead). Tell me, are you doing this kind of thing yourself on daily basis to? If you have something better to suggest, please let me know :)

for me, i got a lot to work on and the method i have been using is, since its too much to do all at one and by focusing on one particular aspect, i let other issues get more serious. also focusing on one thing for prolonged time is very difficult for me. so, instead i jump around from one small area to another and that jumping is feel/mood based. if i feel like writting i do that, if i feel like excersising i do that, this plan is inconsistent and so very random, but it is only plan that overtime has given me any results at all.

by watching actualized.org + reading some other good content online i have though of improving this way/planof mine sothat it works better for me infuture,like implementing certain things or joining small areas [excersise followed by meditationinstead of just one] ina way that whenone field triggers naturally i asign a followup for it, and in that way i think i won't have this feeling of forced action, because one can't really force his entire nature, can only adjust small steps.

i would ask of a view on this method and other useful opinions/advices on what i have written here, please!

I've been wanting to switch to a vegetarian/pescetarian diet when I have a steady income so I can buy all the food I need. This thread's made me realized just what a pathetic excuse it is.

I'm gonna replace one of my meals each day with fruit.  

5 minutes ago, bazera said:

If you have something better to suggest, please let me know :)

Heya. i just read your post and if in two months you can get a satisfactory result with this method, then in my opinion it is what works for you.

for me,i have lists and goal notes, but doing them as you do seems forced and i can't really do it,so it would be not my way, but if it works for you, improve that method even further. seeing actualresults in two months is very good starting point, develop it as a habbit and u'll be golden.

i'm not an expert,so u take this all as just side opinion, not as some teaching or anything =]

8 minutes ago, denselayman said:

seeing actualresults in two months is very good starting point, develop it as a habbit and u'll be golden.

Thanks for your opinion mate, and yes, I am forcing myself from time to time to accomplish some things that I want to accomplish. That is what I have to do in order to change my working discipline from the shitty level to a good level. If I won't do that, my mind will come with a lot of excuses (It does that every day though :D ,I can't help it yet, and often times I fall in it's traps..) that will prevent me from doing the work that needs to be done. I have to just force myself to develop to the point where forcing won't be necessary. And when I don't do something from the daily list, I feel kind of guilty, and I add the item that I haven't accomplished into the next day's list, that way I see clearly, after like 1 week or so, If my list is 1 kilometre in length (:D), that means that I have to work on something in order to do my daily goals more efficiently. And yeah, if 2 months gave me this kind of improvement (not that huge, but it's something, I hadn't even thought that journaling would be helpful, I didn't even know that journaling was the thing and people were doing it on a daily basis, 2 months ago) another 2 months will be greater, and in couple of months or in couple of years, when I look back, I hope to feel a bit proud of myself, and will be proud of having my everyday life written in a notebook, and seeing my mistakes very vividly. 

On 5.2.2016 at 0:46 AM, Leo Gura said:

Watching vids from this guy all the time and being on this forum are my biggest excuses from doing enlightenment work! :D 

Im too damn lazy. Im a chimp that goes from one emotional comfort to the other, instead of doing things that really matter, enlightenment.

Dr. Wayne Dyer has a great book, "excuses be gone". I feel it's not a one time read, but something to keep on hand, highlighted, lol xD 

This thread is old. Locked for necroposting.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️