at_anchor

Why is there something rather than nothing?

24 posts in this topic

I am not a spiritual person and didn't really ask these questions in the past. Now that I am on the brink of suicide, these existential questions became more relevant to me. How do I find answers to the following questions...

Who am I? Where did I come from? Where did existence come from as well as all these other people in my life that i don't get along with? Where are the Gods if there are any? Why isn't reality just nothingness the way it is every night I go to sleep? Why care about life when  we are gonna die anyways and there is no life after this one? What is the difference between me and you? If nothing, why am I still here and why does it feel like we are different and separate? 

You're dreaming space and time, you're God 

You couldn't not be because any alternative you come up with is just more imagination, imagination is without opposite or absolute 

Take psychedelics but do your research first 

No space, no time, nothing but you/this/here/now

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

2 hours ago, at_anchor said:

I am not a spiritual person and didn't really ask these questions in the past. Now that I am on the brink of suicide, these existential questions became more relevant to me. How do I find answers to the following questions...

Who am I? Where did I come from? Where did existence come from as well as all these other people in my life that i don't get along with? Where are the Gods if there are any? Why isn't reality just nothingness the way it is every night I go to sleep? Why care about life when  we are gonna die anyways and there is no life after this one? What is the difference between me and you? If nothing, why am I still here and why does it feel like we are different and separate? 

Well the individual that thinks it's currently alive and will eventually die and thinks that finding answers to these questions will somehow be advantageous to it..... is an illusion of self meaning it's not real. 

So in that sense nothing matters in any way at all and that's the freedom Enlightenment reveals.

It can also seem stupid ridiculous a waste or whatever...

♥ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

4 hours ago, at_anchor said:

All those answers require Awakening.

If you are suicidal, please take care of yourself and handle the basics before you go about chasing down God.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You’re asking all the right questions. Stick around and maybe you’ll find the answers to some of them 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

If you are suicidal, please take care of yourself and handle the basics before you go about chasing down God.

I became suicidal after experiencing a minor shift in consciousness — a phase called The Dark Night of The Soul.

The so-called "meaning of life" crumbled after only a year of meditation, leaving me severely depressed and in a frightening state of despair.

All you must do to overcome such difficulty is realize that it's a normal phase — it will pass in a month or so if you sink deeper into the feeling of depression.

Process your depression by feeling it completely, and allow it to subside at its own pace.

Don't give in to the notion that your depression will be permanent — that's only a trick of the mind.

Face your depression courageously by remaining comfortably aware in the middle of the feelings it creates.

This forum needs better resources for dealing with suicide.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@at_anchor As to your question, who said that ‘something’ wasn’t nothing? What’s the difference between the two?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

This forum needs better resources for dealing with suicide.

I'm sure any and all suggestions are welcome. idk if there are any simple solutions.

@thepixelmonk Some emotional health resources should be pinned to the top of the mental health section. 

@at_anchor The first step is noticing the subtle mixing up of you as the thing that actually exists with you as the thoughts that you think. Once you make that distinction, you will then be able to accept your existing-self that will bring you joy and happiness, and also you will be able to let go of the thought-self that is causing you suffering.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Arthogaan could be interesting if leo made a fun, purposeless video about investigating why is there even something or nothing, at all. isn't consciousness the weirdest thing ever out of all theoretical things that could be or not be? im not talking about the spiritual definition of nothing as friction-less relativity, which equates something/form/formless. but "why is?". how is it possible for any experience to conceivably have a sense of being in any way? let alone a selective one capable of deep understandings (love).

ding dong

not possible

@at_anchor Great questions. You can find answers to those questions using meditative self-inquiry:

Also read this excerpt.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. I got the idea to a very small degree that something is nothing.

Like an empty glass exists in a glass with water, I guess this is all just empty space. I cant have this realization without psychedelics, but honestly, if I took them they would get blamed for my misfortune in life so I won't.

But sleep has very clear sense of nothingness. That is the one I am talking about. It is neither black nor white. From that nothingness sometimes dreams arise and they actually don't require more energy than just that pure state of nothingness. Nothing stops that nothingness from creating a dream, and a really good one indeed.

This is "thinking cap" stuff. Here's an idea:

What if there's no difference between nothing and something? Like what if nothing isn't in a separate category?

See you gotta be careful as a human because we have preconceived ideas about how things should be. If we don't apply thise preconceptions, who's to say nothingness is somehow less of an apparition than blue? Even though the nature of it would be it couldn't be seen.

Fun to consider.

It turns out that there is this thing called "reality".

And that reality is too immense for death to exist (in the sense of eternal unconsciousness from your own point of view.)

Basically, the belief in eternal death is underestimating reality. And kind of overestimating your little ego. You think you can escape reality simply by making your own little decision to kill yourself? Forget it. There's bigger stuff out there than that.

At least this is what I currently believe.

@at_anchor being suicidal is a good start. As long as you don't kill yourself, of course. it means that you have hit rock bottom, you know that nothing in this world is going to satisfy you, you have realized the trap with no way out that is the ego. a real scam. now you must go through a process of mental openness, of deconstruction of each one of your ideas that form the wall that isolates you, that creates the duality between you and what is not you. In this forum you will find the way. if you apply yourself seriously, in one or two years you will be another being. you will be free. determination, courage and vision.

Leo has a video about that, maybe it can help you. But yes, if you are suicidal, you may want to work at that level first, because you probably don't want to think of it in its metaphysical sense in a suicidal mode, you probably are asking it as "why do I fuckin exist at all, I hate existing, why am I not nothing". 

You need to work on those beliefs of yours that make you feel like you wanna die first. And I know it from myself. I, many many times, wanted to die and delete myself totally from being, and just desiring to be nothing. And I promise you that you can experiencing dying before dying. 

You, at the ultimate level, actually, already are dead, because what you eternally, actually, are is pure nonphysical "spirit", and you're creating yourself in a human mode in a physical world, and you do it so amazingly that you're also becoming me who is writing this to you. 

However, what I'm saying here may sound like bullshiting to you, so you may want to forget about all of these spiritual ramblings for a while, and try to make peace with where you are as the "something" that you are experiencing yourself to be. 

Check this. Just a theory...

Human belief system:

image_2022-10-14_232817745.png

See it's like, thinking "nothing" and "something" are two distinct categories, rather than like this:

image_2022-10-14_233006265.png

And maybe it's a mistake to do the top... Maybe that's just our own false proconception.