Federico del pueblo

Where do LSD horror stories come from?

27 posts in this topic

Like you've all heard of some crazy story in which someone tripped on LSD and then believed he could fly and so he jumped from his balcony and died...or similar stuff.

This is kind of what the mainstream media point to when they talk about how insanely dangerous a substance like LSD can be.

Anyway I'd assume that if these stories are true at all, it probably is a case of abuse, like mixing LSD with another substance, taking crazy high doses without prior experience and being at a party etc., am I right?

Also sometimes they say that someone "got stuck" on LSD, like he had a horror trip and now he's just basically insane or mad.

I basically just want reasonable explanations for why things like these might happen, so I don't have to fear them, knowing that I'm not gonna commit the same silly mistakes as these people.

This knowledge could maybe also help me to not freak out if a trip ever goes into a scary direction, like I'm gonna be less likely to be afraid of becoming mad or whatever.

Thanks y'all!

@Federico del pueblo it's all Anti drug propaganda. In Germany it is the first thing you hear about lsd. You jup out of the balcony. 

I think being drunk on balcony is more dangerous 

The daughter of a famous TV host, Art Linkletter, died in the 1960s.  She actually committed suicide but Linkletter blamed it on LSD.  She jumped off a balcony.   Linkletter was very influencial in vilifying and spreading false information about LSD.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Linkletter#:~:text=Diane Linkletter (October 31%2C 1948,at the age of 20.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/09/richard-nixon-war-on-drugs-timothy-leary-216264/

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Like almost all things worth doing in the world, there are some risks involved. Not everyone should take psychedelics. But because even say 5% if people will have an awful response to psychedelics doesn’t mean the remaining 95% can’t get great benefits.

Those 5% is where the horror stories come from. They also get exaggerated because of the negative stigma surrounding psychedelics.

A lot of people are allergic to nuts and will die if they eat one but we don’t ban nuts because of that. We just use caution and education.

Ironically these substances being illegal and the lack of education around them as a result makes them more dangerous than they need be

Edited by something_else

@OBEler  ok ?

@Jodistrict That's interesting stuff, thanks!

3 hours ago, Judy2 said:

and yes i know someone who jumped out of his window, at "only" 400ugxD

3 hours ago, Judy2 said:

people do get crazy ideas on lsd, they do enter crazy intense emotional states...which is something we want, but we should maintain enough sanity to know not to act on certain impulses while high. impulse control is crucial here and i have the feeling that most people are not mature and responsible enough to reflect on the necessity of it.

Sure. But doesn't the substance itself reduce your impulse control? So that you need very strong impulse control when sober to still maintain reasonable impulse control when tripping? 

Anyway I start with low doses and only increase the dose slowly from trip to trip I think I should be ok, shouldn't I? 

I don't have any problems with impulse control in normal life and I take precautions, do my research etc.

@something_else makes sense. Yeah it seems idiotic that all these substances are forbidden so that people are either forced to do illegal things or have to use research chemicals that aren't illegal yet...

I took 2 tabs of LSD and blacked out and ended up leaving my house in an ego death state and got hit by a car. I passed out on the streed and ended up in hospital where i freaked tf out. luckily I had no physical injuries but was a pretty traumatizing experience.

16 minutes ago, spiritual memes said:

I took 2 tabs of LSD and blacked out and ended up leaving my house in an ego death state and got hit by a car. I passed out on the streed and ended up in hospital where i freaked tf out. luckily I had no physical injuries but was a pretty traumatizing experience.

Really? ?

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Nick Cave's son died by falling or jumping off a cliff on LSD.

"Nick Cave's 15-year-old son Arthur died after an accidental cliff fall at the Ovingdean Gap in Brighton, England in July 2015."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_More_Time_with_Feeling

According to the above article, it was an accident.  What if he had drunk alcohol and then slipped off a cliff, would anyone blame the alcohol?   Or how about blaming the cliff?  Or what if you slip off the cliff because you were paying too much attention to your smartphone.  If something like LSD is preconceived as being dangerous, then the facts are used to justify the conclusion.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

2 hours ago, Federico del pueblo said:

Really? ?

yeah this legit happened. I still kinda have ptsd from it. Although it hasn't stopped me from trying psychedelics again.

1 hour ago, JuliusCaesar said:

@spiritual memes Interesting, you weren't on Lithium at the time by chance?

No, but I did vape a bit of cbd beforehand to reduce comeup anxiety. I remember becoming so overwhelmed with ego death that I forgot my name, what time was, or that i had even taken drugs.

Mainstream media is obviously biased and cherry picks the worst kind of incidents to represent psychedelics as a whole, BUT these things happen nonetheless, so beware. As far as safety measures go, I don't want to beat this dead horse any further, but even with all precautions taken, there are still no guarantees you won't lose your mind and jump from your balcony. 

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

3 hours ago, spiritual memes said:

yeah this legit happened. I still kinda have ptsd from it. Although it hasn't stopped me from trying psychedelics again.

Sorry to hear that! 

1 hour ago, Federico del pueblo said:

Sorry to hear that! 

It's all good. While it was a horrific experience, I learned some extremely valuable lessons from it.

@spiritual memes how often had  you taken psychedelics before that? 

This is really heavy what you experienced. Glad it went well (besides ptsd). I read I think over 200 Trip reports With lsd. Only a Hand full of people experienced this deep ego death you experienced where you forget that you took the drug. And that were very high dosage around 600 to 1000 micro

Edited by OBEler

7 hours ago, spiritual memes said:

No, but I did vape a bit of cbd beforehand to reduce comeup anxiety. I remember becoming so overwhelmed with ego death that I forgot my name, what time was, or that i had even taken drugs.

Are you certain it was actual LSD and not contaminated with something else?

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

14 hours ago, OBEler said:

@spiritual memes how often had  you taken psychedelics before that? 

This is really heavy what you experienced. Glad it went well (besides ptsd). I read I think over 200 Trip reports With lsd. Only a Hand full of people experienced this deep ego death you experienced where you forget that you took the drug. And that were very high dosage around 600 to 1000 micro

about 20 lsd trips with 10 being high dose and 2 heroic doses. And about 20-30 dmt trips with 2 breakthroughs.

The trip was around 200ug which is a dose I had done many times before with no difficulty. It should be noted that I took a 6 month break from psychedelics where I meditated every day.

11 hours ago, JuliusCaesar said:

Are you certain it was actual LSD and not contaminated with something else?

100% sure. It was from the same strip that I had used before with no problems. I had also tested the strip with ehrlich reagent.