Danioover9000

What the hell is this podcast trend?

39 posts in this topic

@StarStruck

5 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Rather listen to stage yellow audiobooks. 

Which stage yellow audio books do you listen too?

@zurew

2 hours ago, zurew said:

Because its a good way to share ideas with a relatively low effort and to make a lot of money (especially if the the site that you use has a time on site businessmodel). - and it seems like more and more people recognize it, also the demand is growing for it.

You can have the long podcast format, and then you can make a clip chanel as well, so you can profit a lot from it.

I think podcast format is really good, because it has many spontaneous elements to it, and it feels more authentic than other formats.

Okey, so it's like the predatory YouTube reactors do then? They first react to the entire original video, make several shorts and highlights of that video, and move on without crediting the original video maker? The reason I'm asking is because there's something not right with this practice, at least for me, it is kind of a scam at work.

@Carl-Richard

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

He doesn't mean Actualized.org is literally just a podcast. He means it literally has its own podcast on Apple Podcasts.

Ok.

@Yarco

1 hour ago, Yarco said:

So this is where things get a bit blurry.

Actualized.org is a Youtube channel. But then Leo takes the audio from those videos and makes an audio-only version that he uploads to iTunes. At that point, I consider it to meet the criteria of being a podcast.

Things go in the other direction too --- Lots of podcasts like Joe Rogan or Curt Jaimungal are really "video interviews" if you want to get specific about it.

Something like Tim Pool or even David Pakman, I'd consider more of a livestream (I think most of their stuff is recorded live with call-ins? That's another problem, lots of creators are producing several different types of content that all look very similar lol.)

I have a podcast that's available in video form on Youtube. But it also goes out in audio-only format to Apple, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Podcast Addict, PocketCasts, Deezer, Overcast, and a bunch of other traditional podcasting apps. Is it moreso a podcast or a Youtube channel? I'd say podcast, just because I've specifically developed it with the audio designed to be the front-and-center focus. But it will depend from creator to creator.

Podcasts in the past were audio and audio only. It was mostly a restriction on bandwidth at the time. People were still on 56K modems and basic DSL. They had to use RSS feeds to download podcasts onto their computer or device so they were automatically ready, because even downloading a 50 MB file might take you 30 minutes or more.

Nowadays I would define a podcast as.... basically anything that's primarily consumed in audio format. If it's a Youtube video that you are only listening to in the background and the video imagery has little or no effect on the presentation, I consider it a podcast. So that includes things like videos I watch where it's just a guy sitting in his car and talking for 30 minutes.

Biggest weaknesses is the long-form format, there are more efficient ways to get information. I listen to all my podcasts at 2x speed or faster to try and make up for this. The problem is you never know what sections of the podcast are gold, and what's a waste of time where it goes way off track.

People can also form a parasocial relationship with podcast hosts. They start using podcasts as an alternative to socializing themselves. If you just listen to podcasts all day, it kinda tricks your brain into thinking you're actually having those conversations with people yourself.

Strength is probably that lots of topics are too complex to fit into a 10 minute video. Podcasts are good for deep dives and learning everything you can about a particular topic.

Jesus, there's that many types of podcasts? I'm definitely missing out on most of it.

The other problem I've noticed lately, on my YouTube homepage, is that highlights of podcasts unrelated to what I like to view are appearing and taking space from the videos I like to watch. Does anyone else experience this too? I think I've overestimated clipping videos could be bad.

@Danioover9000 Could be because podcasts help meet people's need for companionship and belonging, in a way that doesn't threaten their need for acceptance. I think particularly today there are a lot of lonely folks out there

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Podcasts are popular because you can just listen, you don't have to watch anything. That means you can consume them on a walk, while cooking dinner or driving a car. Simple as that. 

Same reason as why audiobooks are getting more popular than reading paperbacks. You can listen to them even at work and no-one bats an eye.

13 hours ago, Yarco said:

Biggest weaknesses is the long-form format, there are more efficient ways to get information. I listen to all my podcasts at 2x speed or faster to try and make up for this. The problem is you never know what sections of the podcast are gold, and what's a waste of time where it goes way off track.

Did you ever use blinklist as a tool that would interest me in terms of gathering information? I also listen to all audiobooks/videos on 2x and did a course from Barbara Oakely on how to study with video based information/zoom/during corona on science. So I know a trick or two, yet I prefer it when people do the course and take the notes themselves. I did also some edx programms for which I paid, so it was interesting to use the principles. Although I did find myself in the same area of how to learn in the end. I did take notes from the video course, although I did not learn as much as I read a bunch of strategies and approachs beforehand. It was just interesting on how working with video/ a camera is best used IIRC. I can look up the name if you want 2.

The biggest insight for me was from the course that taking notes and stopping the video as well as watching the video fully is better. It is better to take for example notes from a video when you pause and they also explain how the basal ganglia is responsible for one modality of learning as well as the hippocampus? So there are different ways on how to approach the subject itself based on current science. 

The course is free on coursera/edx.org IIRC. I don't remember the exact name.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

Podcasts are awesome, they can be listened while doing something else and they're usually pretty entertaining. It is just easy and relaxed way to consume information.

Love is the truth, love, love, love.❤️

@Tefikos

2 hours ago, Tefikos said:

Podcasts are awesome, they can be listened while doing something else and they're usually pretty entertaining. It is just easy and relaxed way to consume information.

Oh! So, it's easier to multitask then? But is that really the main reason why podcasts are popular?

@Ulax

15 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Danioover9000 Could be because podcasts help meet people's need for companionship and belonging, in a way that doesn't threaten their need for acceptance. I think particularly today there are a lot of lonely folks out there

So, it's mainly para-social? 

3 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

The biggest insight for me was from the course that taking notes and stopping the video as well as watching the video fully is better. It is better to take for example notes from a video when you pause and they also explain how the basal ganglia is responsible for one modality of learning as well as the hippocampus? So there are different ways on how to approach the subject itself based on current science. 

If I'm doing a course that I paid money for, I give it my full attention and actually watch it and take notes.

When I'm talking about listening to stuff at 2x - 3x speed, or listening while I cook or clean, I mean I'm listening to a podcast with Luis Elizondo talking about aliens for 3 hours or something. Not educational material. 

If I was watching Coursera/EdX, courses on Udemy, or anything like that, I have to actually watch and pay attention to absorb everything.

But with podcasts it's more just for entertainment value, all I care about is the overall big picture, so it doesn't need my undivided attention.

3 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

Did you ever use blinklist as a tool that would interest me in terms of gathering information?

Never used it. But sometimes when I want to know the key takeaways of a book, but not read the entire thing or listen to it as an audiobook... I'll look up a summary on Youtube. Every popular book I've looked up always has multiple summary videos about it on Youtube, so I don't see the point of paying for a service like Blinklist I guess.

@Girzo

7 hours ago, Girzo said:

Podcasts are popular because you can just listen, you don't have to watch anything. That means you can consume them on a walk, while cooking dinner or driving a car. Simple as that. 

Same reason as why audiobooks are getting more popular than reading paperbacks. You can listen to them even at work and no-one bats an eye.

So, the main reason is just because it's more convenient, compared to watching a tv, or note taking a video, or reading?

13 minutes ago, Yarco said:

Never used it. But sometimes when I want to know the key takeaways of a book, but not read the entire thing or listen to it as an audiobook... I'll look up a summary on Youtube. Every popular book I've looked up always has multiple summary videos about it on Youtube, so I don't see the point of paying for a service like Blinklist I guess.

That is interesting. I wanted to use it as a service when I am actively working and audible might be to long for some reason. I considered this option. 

13 minutes ago, Yarco said:

If I'm doing a course that I paid money for, I give it my full attention and actually watch it and take notes.

When I'm talking about listening to stuff at 2x - 3x speed, or listening while I cook or clean, I mean I'm listening to a podcast with Luis Elizondo talking about aliens for 3 hours or something. Not educational material. 

If I was watching Coursera/EdX, courses on Udemy, or anything like that, I have to actually watch and pay attention to absorb everything.

But with podcasts it's more just for entertainment value, all I care about is the overall big picture, so it doesn't need my undivided attention.

I did both courses in 2x of a 5 part series of certificates for a full IBM programm. The videos and did the assignments, I have some certificates for beginner levels on my linkedin, yet I don't know how useful that is so to speak, as I barely network via this plattform. 

I finished both courses relatively quickly it was interesting to test this, and see for myself how far I can leverage learning techniques from my own good. I passed all of them, yet it was beginner level. 

I wondered how far you can take it, especially if you have the pre-requistes for the courses, when you put these into linkedin.

I usually also join study rooms with other people at home, so I am not so lonely lol, I can even turn on the camera.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

18 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Okey, so it's like the predatory YouTube reactors do then? The reason I'm asking is because there's something not right with this practice, at least for me, it is kind of a scam at work.

No, its not the same, because you are not reacting in this case, but creating something new on your own. 

@zurew

1 hour ago, zurew said:

No, its not the same, because you are not reacting in this case, but creating something new on your own. 

Maybe not the same, but rather similar? For example, H3H3 made a react podcast to Andrew Tate's apology video and made some inflammatory remarks and criminal slanders against him, which Andrew will be Sueing him for. That's H3H3 being stupid, and frankly, how is this not considered a bad podcast?

I dont know where you want to go with this line of questioning. Of course you can still do bad content using the podcast format, but thats not exclusive to podcasts.

Reactionism is just one way to go about it, but there are many other ways to go.(also , i dont think all react content is necessarily bad)

Edited by zurew

On 30-9-2022 at 11:50 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@StarStruck

Which stage yellow audio books do you listen too?

Not all of them are stage yellow but to name some: Ken Wilber, David Hawkins, Allan Wats, and so on

In Tate we trust

To top it off, if the podcast is too long, I tend to feel sleepy. Either how the podcast is conducted is bring, or the topic isn't engaging to begin with, I don't know why this happens. Do some of you get sleepy with really long video?