Danioover9000

What the hell is this podcast trend?

39 posts in this topic

I notice an increasing trend and fad for podcasts, from the Joe Rogan shit to the Curt Jaimungal, Lex Friedman and podcasts like it. From the Tim Poll podcast to the Save America Podcast. What is your take on why we 're experiencing an increase in podcasts?

Also, YouTube Channels copying podcasts like to create shorts, bloopers, highlights, compilations to general viewers to paid members. Why?

I actually think that is a healthy sign of maturing stage orange, that can appreciate longer formats.

Also the trend of tv loosing viewers to internet. Podcast are like those tv programmes where they talk with a guest but more chill and authentic. Overall I see that trend in a positive light.

Edited by Arthogaan

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

Podcasts have been going since like 2004. I've been listening to Joe Rogan for at least 3 years.

The podcasts were always there, I think it's just becoming more mainstream now. I think podcasts really peaked with a lot of people (especially women) getting into True Crime podcasts a couple of years ago.

Probably during covid a lot of people had a ton of time on their hands to listen to 1 - 3 hour pieces of content too. Especially if you're working at home and can have headphones in or have something playing while you do mindless work, when you weren't allowed to do that in the office previously.

@Danioover9000 Where have you been?

Podcasting has become like a trillion dollar business now.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Podcasts are the thing like for the last 10 years I think. Dunno when Apple added them to their apps, but that's around when they have started gaining a lot of traction.

With these types of things, you just have to ask yourself which technological innovations made it possible. For example, only a few years ago, collective e-scooters started popping out of nowhere. Why did that happen? Well, only in the last few years, we got a mainstream market of smartphones with mobile pay and scanner technology, as well as a rapid increase in battery capacity thanks to companies like Tesla, and the natural conclusion of that is of course collective e-scooters for boosting pedestrian travel. So in this case, the answer for why podcasts became popular is because we got a mainstream market of internet-using devices and a surge in social media and multimedia technology (YouTube, spotify, etc.).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Radios do not have very complex material covered to consider while driving. That is the most simple answer, I would not even use the radio, if my car would not have one. As the music taste is incredible bad imo and people just focus on the most average like-able thing, which can be just become boring and repetitive like EDM and Trance music and HipHop. The most interesting part is for cravings of novelity.

I mean you could reverse-engineer e-scooters, yet I don't think we have a chinese Shenzen like electronic store available, where even the university could buy it's parts for construction if they are allowed to work independently. I just saw a lot of them when I lived in China. You could do it independently I bet.

I attempted to reverse-engineer some products was not really my forte. Not many are interested in practical real-world things I believe. Imo...made some progress, yet someone else found a way to sniff their protocol?????!!

Basically the micro-chip and highly processed dense information is the new world order lol. It's crazy how nice Leo is when you consider how much the guy reads and educates himself. 

I am unsure what the television does to my basal ganglia after reading some studies, yet yeah I don't like TV.

Also these 7 second videos are helpful, when I want to learn something that goes fast... and is repetitive....maybe dopaminergic, if you think about product design.

If you think these software companies are not f*cking with your life, you are a fool imo.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

Because its a good way to share ideas with a relatively low effort and to make a lot of money (especially if the the site that you use has a time on site businessmodel). - and it seems like more and more people recognize it, also the demand is growing for it.

You can have the long podcast format, and then you can make a clip chanel as well, so you can profit a lot from it.

I think podcast format is really good, because it has many spontaneous elements to it, and it feels more authentic than other formats.

@Arthogaan

On 9/29/2022 at 6:34 PM, Arthogaan said:

I actually think that is a healthy sign of maturing stage orange, that can appreciate longer formats.

Also the trend of tv loosing viewers to internet. Podcast are like those tv programmes where they talk with a guest but more chill and authentic. Overall I see that trend in a positive light.

What do you mean it's healthier sign of stage orange maturing? I see businesses online just swapping tv for internet viewing, and nothing big has changed in the majority of viewers, just more near autopilot consumption of material.

@Yarco

On 9/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, Yarco said:

Podcasts have been going since like 2004. I've been listening to Joe Rogan for at least 3 years.

The podcasts were always there, I think it's just becoming more mainstream now. I think podcasts really peaked with a lot of people (especially women) getting into True Crime podcasts a couple of years ago.

Probably during covid a lot of people had a ton of time on their hands to listen to 1 - 3 hour pieces of content too. Especially if you're working at home and can have headphones in or have something playing while you do mindless work, when you weren't allowed to do that in the office previously.

Since you do consume podcasts, what would you say is its strengths and weaknesses? For example, a podcast like Tim Pool, I mostly consider a waste of time and energy, other than the occasional studying his worldview further, but Curt Jaimungal would be considered a high quality podcast overall, but sometimes it's a waste of time.

@Leo Gura

On 9/29/2022 at 7:06 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Danioover9000 Where have you been?

Podcasting has become like a trillion dollar business now.

Jesus Christ! A trillion dollar business?! What is going on?

I'm mostly in my attic, training my drawing abilities and working on my invention, I don't have a normal life nowadays.

@Girzo

22 hours ago, Girzo said:

Podcasts are the thing like for the last 10 years I think. Dunno when Apple added them to their apps, but that's around when they have started gaining a lot of traction.

Why do you think podcasts are gaining traction? Is it because the increase in control as to which podcast you can watch? Is it the slight increase in freedom of expressing one's philosophy and articulation, like hoe the questioner asks and the interviewed answers?

@universe  @Yarco

20 hours ago, universe said:

Actualized.org is practically a podcast.

19 hours ago, Yarco said:

Really? I thought Actualized.org is mainly a website that points to thousands of high-quality resources, and hosts hundreds of videos talking about the high-end topics of humanity, in video format.

Maybe I'm confusing podcast for something it isn't? Is it a podcast when it's hours long video or audio stuff? I thought podcasts need at least two people talking for hours right?

11 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@universe  @Yarco

Really? I thought Actualized.org is mainly a website that points to thousands of high-quality resources, and hosts hundreds of videos talking about the high-end topics of humanity, in video format.

Maybe I'm confusing podcast for something it isn't? Is it a podcast when it's hours long video or audio stuff? I thought podcasts need at least two people talking for hours right?

He doesn't mean Actualized.org is literally just a podcast. He means it literally has its own podcast on Apple Podcasts.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

37 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@universe  @Yarco

So this is where things get a bit blurry.

Actualized.org is a Youtube channel. But then Leo takes the audio from those videos and makes an audio-only version that he uploads to iTunes. At that point, I consider it to meet the criteria of being a podcast.

Things go in the other direction too --- Lots of podcasts like Joe Rogan or Curt Jaimungal are really "video interviews" if you want to get specific about it.

Something like Tim Pool or even David Pakman, I'd consider more of a livestream (I think most of their stuff is recorded live with call-ins? That's another problem, lots of creators are producing several different types of content that all look very similar lol.)

I have a podcast that's available in video form on Youtube. But it also goes out in audio-only format to Apple, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Podcast Addict, PocketCasts, Deezer, Overcast, and a bunch of other traditional podcasting apps. Is it moreso a podcast or a Youtube channel? I'd say podcast, just because I've specifically developed it with the audio designed to be the front-and-center focus. But it will depend from creator to creator.

Podcasts in the past were audio and audio only. It was mostly a restriction on bandwidth at the time. People were still on 56K modems and basic DSL. They had to use RSS feeds to download podcasts onto their computer or device so they were automatically ready, because even downloading a 50 MB file might take you 30 minutes or more.

Nowadays I would define a podcast as.... basically anything that's primarily consumed in audio format. If it's a Youtube video that you are only listening to in the background and the video imagery has little or no effect on the presentation, I consider it a podcast. So that includes things like videos I watch where it's just a guy sitting in his car and talking for 30 minutes.

47 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yarco

Since you do consume podcasts, what would you say is its strengths and weaknesses? For example, a podcast like Tim Pool, I mostly consider a waste of time and energy, other than the occasional studying his worldview further, but Curt Jaimungal would be considered a high quality podcast overall, but sometimes it's a waste of time.

Biggest weaknesses is the long-form format, there are more efficient ways to get information. I listen to all my podcasts at 2x speed or faster to try and make up for this. The problem is you never know what sections of the podcast are gold, and what's a waste of time where it goes way off track.

People can also form a parasocial relationship with podcast hosts. They start using podcasts as an alternative to socializing themselves. If you just listen to podcasts all day, it kinda tricks your brain into thinking you're actually having those conversations with people yourself.

Strength is probably that lots of topics are too complex to fit into a 10 minute video. Podcasts are good for deep dives and learning everything you can about a particular topic.

Edited by Yarco

@ValiantSalvatore

5 hours ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

Radios do not have very complex material covered to consider while driving. That is the most simple answer, I would not even use the radio, if my car would not have one. As the music taste is incredible bad imo and people just focus on the most average like-able thing, which can be just become boring and repetitive like EDM and Trance music and HipHop. The most interesting part is for cravings of novelity.

I mean you could reverse-engineer e-scooters, yet I don't think we have a chinese Shenzen like electronic store available, where even the university could buy it's parts for construction if they are allowed to work independently. I just saw a lot of them when I lived in China. You could do it independently I bet.

I attempted to reverse-engineer some products was not really my forte. Not many are interested in practical real-world things I believe. Imo...made some progress, yet someone else found a way to sniff their protocol?????!!

Basically the micro-chip and highly processed dense information is the new world order lol. It's crazy how nice Leo is when you consider how much the guy reads and educates himself. 

I am unsure what the television does to my basal ganglia after reading some studies, yet yeah I don't like TV.

Also these 7 second videos are helpful, when I want to learn something that goes fast... and is repetitive....maybe dopaminergic, if you think about product design.

If you think these software companies are not f*cking with your life, you are a fool imo.

Well, depending on the stage of development, cognitive and moral development, personality typing, states of being, life experiences, and other lines of development, also your worldview and beliefs and bias, will determine the majority of what you consider good or bad activities or objects or persons.

So, something like Tim Pool I consider sheet, Joe Rogan's is slightly better but not really. Curt's is above average, but there are a few videos I just don't like. If Actualized.org is considered a podcast, then it's top 5 best of all podcasts.

Edited by Danioover9000

@Carl-Richard

21 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

With these types of things, you just have to ask yourself which technological innovations made it possible. For example, only a few years ago, collective e-scooters started popping out of nowhere. Why did that happen? Well, only in the last few years, we got a mainstream market of smartphones with mobile pay and scanner technology, as well as a rapid increase in battery capacity thanks to companies like Tesla, and the natural conclusion of that is of course collective e-scooters for boosting pedestrian travel. So in this case, the answer for why podcasts became popular is because we got a mainstream market of internet-using devices and a surge in social media and multimedia technology (YouTube, spotify, etc.).

So basically, podcasts are like the cast away leaves, which is made possible because it grew on a branch, which is made possible because the branch grew from a bigger branch, which grew from the trunk of the tree, which took 1,000s of years to grow that big, which could only be just because the sapling and the seed that germinated, under the right conditions at that time? Basically, it's possible because of this causal chain that leads to the development of podcasts?

Also, I'm referring to the trend in low quality podcasts like the H3H3 Ethan dead brain interviewing JP, or even Tim Pool. Why are there more badder podcasts?