ThePoint

Thoughts on Anime? Are they a distraction? My results.

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KH2 said:

If you had a real obsession about helping society in some way - and you possesed the resources necessary to do so - you wouldn't be thinking about entertainment. Just saying. To take responsibility for the largest problems of society, is pretty much the highest stage of self improvement, right?

It's about priorities, not finding balance.

I did not really state that entertainment was necessarilly objectively wrong and bad either. It's just a waste of time.

Think about Elon Musk, or Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs - however despicable they may seem, they still helped society in some key ways. I don't think either of them has entertainment particuliary high on his list of priorities.

First of all, I (and probably you) lack the resources necessary to do anything about it. Second of all, most attempts at making the world a better place actually make it worse due to a lack of systems thinking and holism. Therefore the most important aspect of self improvement is to raise your own consciousness.

I don't think Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs have actually helped any of the issues facing humanity. The root cause of the world 'burning' is due to low consciousness and they did not make the world more conscious.

I have a question for you. What do you think someone like me should do to solve societies problems? and I'm not talking about some vague answer like  ' improve yourself'.

@ThePoint

1 hour ago, ThePoint said:

Ok. It may be considered to you a waste of time, but to me I see overwise. After all, you don't know what time has in store for you, maybe learning from that review and anime may reveal those hidden golden ores.

AI will give us far better tooling for animation, lowering the barrier to entry for people with real story telling skills.

Stories based on higher level concepts to teach a lesson in a experiential + memorable way that sticks. 

Rick and Morty has a few higher level concepts but there is so much more we can do. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Danioover9000

Why do you see otherwise?

What are golden ores?

I’ve pretty much forgotten about everything I watched. Well, not exactly forgot, but it’s out of my mind now. I’d have to think for a bit to resurface the memories I had about the anime, which goes to show how much importance my brain is putting on it now - not much. 

Now I am back to reading the book I was reading. My brain put more importance on the book I am currently reading because it knows it will make me progress in life, whereas it put less importance on the information about the anime because that information would not progress my life.

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

I have watched death note 3 times in the span of 5 years. Mainly because it was inspiring to me. It satisfied/burned a karma within me of wanting to be a genius, and of wanting to be completely absorbed in a battle of wits. 

People watch anime for various reasons. I watch them to satisfy/burn my karmas, or cravings. And of course, when I am horny. But the later has gotten much much lesser over years.

Originally it was to escape reality. And to distract myself. And when you watch anime for this reason, there's not many stories you can appreciate. Or at least the actually great ones. A story like Vagabond would not be appreciated as well if one was reading that manga as a form of escapism. 

I still watch anime on a weekly basis. No matter how 'pathetic' the anime I watch to someone may seem, I indulge in it consciously. That way it's a form of shadow work rather than escapism. 

Sometimes your shadow weighs so heavily on you that you try to work through it using entertainment unconsciously, which can be falsely labelled as escapism. 

You need to properly distinguish between the two. And indulge consciously whenever you do. I am always on the lookout for anime that inspires me. Same with other forms of entertainment. You outgrow escapist form of indulgement in entertainment after a while. 

I’m utilizing anime to help me learn a new language.

Wether anime is “good” or “bad” for your life is obviously relative.

Anime can be helpful and contribute to increasing your quality of life or it can be crippling and holding back your development. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@ThePoint

14 hours ago, ThePoint said:

@Danioover9000

Why do you see otherwise?

What are golden ores?

I’ve pretty much forgotten about everything I watched. Well, not exactly forgot, but it’s out of my mind now. I’d have to think for a bit to resurface the memories I had about the anime, which goes to show how much importance my brain is putting on it now - not much. 

Now I am back to reading the book I was reading. My brain put more importance on the book I am currently reading because it knows it will make me progress in life, whereas it put less importance on the information about the anime because that information would not progress my life.

I used to think video gaming was a waste of time, until my mind can see more in 3d because of my accumulated experiences with camera angles, fixed and adjustable, in video games, which I now use for other areas of my life.

The golden ores are a metaphor, or what's most important to you, that your intuition is pulling you to, that feels like the right direction, despite years of built-up toxicity in your body and ideologies and beliefs you hold in your mind preventing smoother communication with your intuition, what fear barriers and resistances your mind voices towards going there, despite that critically toned voice tells you.

Well, while it is now mostly forgotten to your conscious self, it's now a part of your subconscious mind, so if and when a situation happens in the future that needs that piece of information, it'll resurface to be of help to you.

No, your mind places importance on the book it thinks is of use, not the brain. The brain is a simple organ that is subservient to the mind, only collects sensory information and processes it through its many neurons. But don't worry, brains don't exist anyway, it's only the mind that thinks it does, to obfuscate being more responsible for its survival than it already is.

People who breaks the rules are scums. People who betray their friends are worse than scums. -Kakashi

1 hour ago, hyruga said:

People who breaks the rules are scums. People who betray their friends are worse than scums. -Kakashi

@hyruga I don't understand what this has to do with the post.

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

My thoughts: 

The state of anime has always been bad, It's an industry with massive potential, Japanese writers/studios are obsessed with woman and sexual content, they're creatively bankrupt as well. But every now and then a gem arises, something like Demon Slayer, Attack On Titan, Death Note, Made In Abyss, Berserk, Chainsaw Man etc.. (generally speaking).

Anime needs a Steve Jobs, someone who shows everyone else how its supposed to be done. And that will shift the industry in the right direction. Because most of these writers are largely idiots, complete retards. But I believe someone will pave the path in the future. So throw your lifetime hatred away, I argue that Person will be someone who's barely seen any Anime in his life or has watched very little of it. If you ever tried writing a story or even completed one, then you might know what I'm talking about, because you've seen so much of it your brain can't help but copy the same shit they wrote, or at least partially mimic it.

OP, You don't have to treat everything as a Self-Improvement process, If you're gonna take a shit on Anime, then you might as do that to every Musician, Actor, Film Maker/Director, Sculptor, Video game designer, Writer and every artistic pursuit, uninvent typography, videography and photography. go to every kid drawing sketches and tell them their drawing skills will never amount to anything. It's just Art man, you just don't see it in this particular field, that's my point

Picasso and Davinci, recontextualized are animators, only in still pictures. But who doesn't love them right?

On 9/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Yarco said:

but I've never met someone who was super into anime that was a healthy and well-balanced person.

You haven't met someone who was super into anything, that was also a healthy, well-balanced person. the words ''Super into'' literally mean unbalanced 

Don't watch 95% of Anime, Only watch those who seem to be pushing the boundaries, Judge that by instinct.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:49 AM, ThePoint said:

But today I went down a mini-rabbit hole for a couple of hours watching some videos about an anime I watched many years ago. 

What is its name?
@ThePoint

What I find positive about anime (and manga) especially if it's a high quality one with a good plot and well written characters is that it helps to integrate aspects of your self and bcoming more aware to your shadows- when you watch/read it 'consciously' enough. It can be used as a good self-inquiry and self development tool. These advantages can be applied to any story, novel, myth, show, movie etc.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

25 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

What I find positive about anime (and manga) especially if it's a high quality one with a good plot and well written characters is that it helps to integrate aspects of your self and bcoming more aware to your shadows- when you watch/read it 'consciously' enough. It can be used as a good self-inquiry and self development tool. These advantages can be applied to any story, novel, myth, show, movie etc.

Another positive aspect is the appreciation of beauty and art. Not everything we do must be productive and goal oriented. Paradoxically over productivness sabotages self development and causes mental erosion. At the end it all depends on the quality of what you're consuming, it's personal value for you and the time you're spending on consumption. In one word: balance.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

@MarkKol

2 hours ago, MarkKol said:

My thoughts: 

The state of anime has always been bad, It's an industry with massive potential, Japanese writers/studios are obsessed with woman and sexual content, they're creatively bankrupt as well. But every now and then a gem arises, something like Demon Slayer, Attack On Titan, Death Note, Made In Abyss, Berserk, Chainsaw Man etc.. (generally speaking).

Anime needs a Steve Jobs, someone who shows everyone else how its supposed to be done. And that will shift the industry in the right direction. Because most of these writers are largely idiots, complete retards. But I believe someone will pave the path in the future. So throw your lifetime hatred away, I argue that Person will be someone who's barely seen any Anime in his life or has watched very little of it. If you ever tried writing a story or even completed one, then you might know what I'm talking about, because you've seen so much of it your brain can't help but copy the same shit they wrote, or at least partially mimic it.

OP, You don't have to treat everything as a Self-Improvement process, If you're gonna take a shit on Anime, then you might as do that to every Musician, Actor, Film Maker/Director, Sculptor, Video game designer, Writer and every artistic pursuit, uninvent typography, videography and photography. go to every kid drawing sketches and tell them their drawing skills will never amount to anything. It's just Art man, you just don't see it in this particular field, that's my point

Picasso and Davinci, recontextualized are animators, only in still pictures. But who doesn't love them right?

You haven't met someone who was super into anything, that was also a healthy, well-balanced person. the words ''Super into'' literally mean unbalanced 

Don't watch 95% of Anime, Only watch those who seem to be pushing the boundaries, Judge that by instinct.

Nice post, I agree with most of your points, on the mainstream standards of SD orange and blue standards of business and marketing and selling mangas and anime in general, is just a standard, and then some to a few works, because of those similar standards of repeating themes and production and quality, some of those works like BERSERK, VEGABOND, VINLAND SAGA, Death Note, do stand out. Although with Demon Sayer, I don't think it's good, story is abysmal and it's animation quality is mediocre, but it's a product of mostly the right time in the market and right geopolitical climate, as most countries have to be isolated due to corona virus, so because of that one event, anime watchers and manga readers went shopping online for the series, breaking sales records. However, it's overall a bad series and has bad premises.

However, I'm not sure if the Japanese writing/studios, manga and animation industries, are creatively bankrupt. If you brought up western comics and animation studios and story making, especially DC/Marvels/Image works, then the comparison clearly shows that the Japanese equivalents are far more ahead in terms of diversity and creativity, especially with organizing and cataloging each manga and anime they do, compared to their western counterparts. 

BTW, Steve Jobs is mainly the marketing man with a vision, but the majority of apple's technical engineer and design came from Steve Wozniak. The majority of the work is done by Steve Wozniak, while the marketing and sales pitch by Steve Jobs. While I do partly agree that with little knowledge, it forces you to think deeper and come up with more original ideas, I think the knowledge, learning and research into the technical details is just as important, and in some parts of the creative process, more important to do. So, this hypothetical genius in the future, that would revolutionize the anime/manga industry, has to be both a visionary and marketing genius, while being very knowledgeable and intimately know the processes that make anime and manga, or it's a small team the revolutionizes the industry.

It's obviously not about the thing but your relationship to it. If you limit yourself to one 24 episode anime per week you're doing pretty well.