Carl-Richard

Have you taken a DNA test?

19 posts in this topic

I ordered one from MyHeritage (the best one for those with European ancestry if you mainly care about finding out your ancestry), and I got 97.3% Scandinavian, 1.8% Finnish, and 0.9% Greek/South-Italian. I'm Norwegian by the way ?

DNA resultater.png

What is really funny is that I predicted basically all of those three (I predicted Finnish from my father's side and South-European from my mother's side). My mom comes from West in the country and my father is from the East. The West of Norway has been a highly trafficked place for sea trade since the Viking Age, and there are many stories of Portuguese ships capsizing and the survivors washing up at the coast and settling among the native population.

My father has always said that my great-grandfather looked like Nikola Tesla (a Greek inventor), and if my estimations are correct, he could've been up to 7.2% Greek (if we assume that he had an ancestor who was 100% greek and that this person and their descendants only had children with 100% Scandinavian people). Given these assumptions, this person could've lived as close as 7-8 generations ago in the 1700s-1800s. However, my mom told me that her grandmother on her dad's side (not the same side as Nikola Tesla lookalike) had brown eyes and a darker complexion than average, so for all I know, the Greek genes might be all from her ?

The reason I predicted my dad's side to have Finnish genes is because my grandmother on that side had particularly distinct hooded eyes, which is more prevalent in the Finnish population due to more East-Asian influence (e.g. the Sámi people). The East of Norway is also next to Sweden, which is next to Finland, and we know that Finnish people have settled in those parts of Norway. Besides, my cousin from my dad's side also took the same DNA test, and he got 2.5% Finnish ancestry (and no South-European ancestry), which makes sense.

I ordered the DNA test mostly because people in school always thought I was Spanish (lol), and my skin tans really easily (and Norway is very white). Anyways, curious to hear if any of you guys have taken a DNA test and why you chose to take it. Did you have any unexpected results, or did you predict everything like I did? ?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Sound fun. I'm gonna order one. Im also the brown eyed way too tanned for being German kinda guy, so I'm hoping for some exotic results.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

5 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Sound fun. I'm gonna order one. Im also the brown eyed way too tanned for being German kinda guy, so I'm hoping for some exotic results.

I actually have blue eyes. Fuck it, I'll just post a picture. I cba posing for pictures so I'll post one of my gym thoughts ?

Snapchat-616891555.jpg

This was just before summer at my most whitest :D

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I actually have blue eyes. Fuck it, I'll just post a picture. I cba posing for pictures so I'll post one of my gym thoughts ?

Snapchat-616891555.jpg

What a hunk of a man. I'm a little jealous of those viking genes, I can't even grow a moustache xD

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Just now, Nilsi said:

What a hunk of a man. I'm a little jealous of those viking genes, I can't even grow a moustache xD

? Well, it's compensation for my receding hairline :D 

I'm always told I look Russian lol.

IMG-20220819-WA0000__01.jpg

Edited by Nilsi

1 minute ago, Nilsi said:

Screenshot_20220925-155939.jpg

Oh hello there ? Hmmm... maybe. I found this thing which is very interesting (and using it makes me feel like an ethnonationalist for some reason lol) http://humanphenotypes.net/map/map.html 

If you look at Strandid vs. Hallstatt, it looks like my theory holds up (Norwegians are generally darker on the West coast). 

http://humanphenotypes.net/Strandid.html

http://humanphenotypes.net/Hallstatt.html

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Oh hello there ? Hmmm... maybe. I found this thing which is very interesting (and using it makes me feel like an ethnonationalist for some reason lol) http://humanphenotypes.net/map/map.html 

If you look at Strandid vs. Hallstatt, it looks like my theory holds up (Norwegians are generally darker on the West coast). 

http://humanphenotypes.net/Strandid.html

http://humanphenotypes.net/Hallstatt.html

http://humanphenotypes.net/basic/Dinarid.html

I think I'm a Dinarid :D

Just ordered one. Will report the results. Should be mostly French or Western-European.

7 hours ago, Nilsi said:

You look like someone hired to intimidate and pressure foreign customers on the street if they don't buy Adidas track pants from a vendor xD

hrhrhtewgfegege

I've done 23andme, and then put my data through some secondary services like Promethease to get even more medical information out of it.

I thought I would be 25% Irish, 25% German, 50% Slovenian based on family history I was told and surnames.

My actual breakdown is:

• 60% French & German (Most likely all German, but supposedly French and German people are genetically too close to tell apart.)
  • 22.8% Eastern European
  • 14.2% Ashkenazi Jewish (oy vey)
  • 1.7% Southern European (Greek & Balkan -- likely all Balkan).
  • <1% "Broadly European"

Note that the results and percentages do change a bit over time. It's briefly told me I had a little bit of Belarusian and Polish in the past before recalibrating again.

It was useful because it turns out my parents never told me that my dad's father isn't actually genetically my grandfather. My grandma had him with some other guy (based on the breakdown, Jewish) before they got together. So it turns out my cousins are actually only half-cousins genetically also. 

They insist they told me at some point but I don't remember ever hearing anything about it until I brought up my DNA results :S lol

I did connect with a "1st cousin, once removed" (6.27% DNA shared) in Europe through the site, probably connected via that missing Jewish grandfather, but I messaged the guy and he doesn't know about that side of his family either.

Edited by Yarco

I took a DNA test with ancestry.ca years ago. I've never met my dad before and I didn't know exactly where he was from so I wanted to take a DNA test. Turns out I am 43% Indian, 7% South/Central Asia (Dad's side) and 29% Welsh plus a mix of English, Scottish, Swedish and Norwegian. I knew my Mum was Welsh but I didn't know about the other countries.

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji

I did 23andme when I was like 11 or 12 years old

49% English European (Dad)

49% Filipino (Mom)

1% Spanish (Mom's side)

we are literally God's name, continuously pronouncing.

13 hours ago, Roy said:

You look like someone hired to intimidate and pressure foreign customers on the street if they don't buy Adidas track pants from a vendor xD

Lol haven't heard that one before xD

On 25/09/2022 at 2:45 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Snapchat-616891555.jpg

wow, really reminds me of a ginger youtuber I used to watch as a kid.

..and another youtuber I'm watching now.  Do you wear big old-fashioned glasses too?

Was expecting the INTPs in here to look something like this, everyone else on the forum I picture as really fat.

On 25/09/2022 at 3:00 PM, Nilsi said:

IMG-20220819-WA0000__01.jpg

wtf I know this guy

..jk, but a guy I know looks 100% identical to this and is half Spanish half British.  But those features are pretty Russian for sure.

Edited by thisintegrated

10 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

wow, really reminds me of a ginger youtuber I used to watch as a kid.

..and another youtuber I'm watching now.  Do you wear big old-fashioned glasses too?

Was expecting the INTPs in here to look something like this, everyone else on the forum I picture as really fat.

Nowadays I look more like mr. Nilsi (or like in that short guitar video in the journal). I like to grow my beard out and then shave it all off after a month or two and trim my hair very short. One day I'll look like that bald guy at my gym with a 1-foot long beard who does 330lbs on the shoulderpress machine ?

@Carl-Richard Damn dude always thought you were an american

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback