Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vishnusavestheday

Mushroom Supplement Doubt?

6 posts in this topic

Just wondering what other people's experiences with mushroom supplements have been.

I take some "Genius" mushroom supplement (orange container) with every meal.

It consists of 3 different mushroom whatevers:

Lion's Mane

Reishi

Cordyceps

500 mgs per ingredient per capsule

I don't know what I feel cognitively I just use it.

Edited by vishnusavestheday
500 mgs per ingredient per capsule

we are literally God's name, continuously pronouncing.

This stuff is mostly hit & miss. 

I've been very disappointed with how overhyped these things are being, considering the real evidential basis is extremely low. The price tags some companies put on mushrooms are just outrageous,  considering one is often buying overpriced polysaccharides grown in a warehouse on haystack, not in woodlands. 

If you want to cognitively optimise, take cold showers, optimise sleep, and daylight exposure, practice regular mindfulness, avoid using social media early in the morning and clean up your diet. Supplements are less than 1% 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I would say Lions Mane is very overrated. I tried it and at first I got hyped because it definitely has a sort of stimulating feel to it/made everything feel a bit sharper. I would almost compare it to not being sober. A sober mind is much more effective and if you need an occasional productivity boost coffee is better. Perhaps lions mane has its uses for people with brain damage or something like this. I think you should try it out if you're interested though, some people report it working well for them. And I can't deny it has a sort of unique feel to it that could be beneficial to experience at some point. But I didn't really find the way it made me feel helpful and it didn't really increase my productivity, mostly it just made me feel a bit weird/off.

But eating more healthy, more greens, wholefoods, more protein, workout, yoga, fix ur sleep schedule are all going to make you feel much better and optimize your brain better than these quick fix mushrooms are.

Edited by Asayake

You can eat fresh ones! They're definitely not bad for you and they taste amazing yum 

Sailing on the ceiling 

You need to get it from a trustworthy supplier and read the label carefully. If the capsules contain mycelium it's not going to do anything. You need the actual fruitbodies. If it doesn't specify then it's probably garbage. If it says extract idk.

Closer you can get it to fresh natural mushrooms the better. You can buy whole reishi and grind it up yourself. Lion's mane you can buy grow kits that are fully colonized where you just open and spray with water and mushrooms grow within a couple weeks, and you can eat them fresh.

You're not going to grow cordyceps at home though because they have to grow inside an insect and then explode out of their head.

I wouldn't bother trying to be fancy and using mushrooms for nootropic purposes. Just buy and eat fresh oyster/shiitake mushrooms for the proven health benefits. High in antioxidants, full of lots of important vitamins and minerals, regulate blood sugar levels, help your immune system, fight cancer, lower blood pressure, regulate cholesterol

Avoid baby button/cremini/portobello mushrooms (all the same thing, agaricus bisporus, at different life stages) unless you cook them really well. Never eat them raw. They contain agaratine, a form of hydrazine, which is basically rocket fuel. Takes a fair amount of heating to break it down.

Edited by Yarco