Javfly33

Side hustles for developers/programmers?

8 posts in this topic

So not long ago I started my first dev job, I like it but the salary is quite low. The job is quite easy too, I work from home and I find myself at the end of the workday still with plenty of energy and motivation to do more work. I would like to take advantage of this and try to make some money to support my finances since I soon plan to move and rent an apartment for myself.

How should I do this? Ive looked in the famous freelancer websites but it seems they are way too many people there and also people from india and so on that will ask for 7$/hour or some things like that Lol so there is no point in competing with that.

You can't get a quality programmer for $7/hr.

Quality programmers on those freelance sites will charge $40/hr and more.

You don't compete with those cheap fools. You compete with serious professionals. You can easily earn $40-$100/hr if you are a great programmer. So improve your skills and set up a great portfolio.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Look for other more quality freelance platforms like Toptal or Turing. Minimum rate is 25-30$ there as I remember and you can easily get that up to 40$+ in some time.

But it's not easy to get into those platforms as it's on Upwork or Freelancer. You need to pass a serious coding interview and make a project to be accepted.

4 hours ago, bazera said:

Look for other more quality freelance platforms like Toptal or Turing. Minimum rate is 25-30$ there as I remember and you can easily get that up to 40$+ in some time.

But it's not easy to get into those platforms as it's on Upwork or Freelancer. You need to pass a serious coding interview and make a project to be accepted.

Oh Those two look interesting. Even if I can not get to them right now with my current experience I will save them for the future! Thanks

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't get a quality programmer for $7/hr.

Quality programmers on those freelance sites will charge $40/hr and more.

You don't compete with those cheap fools. You compete with serious professionals. You can easily earn $40-$100/hr if you are a great programmer. So improve your skills and set up a great portfolio.

Right... tbh I find the good paying ads too difficult/complex for me ?...so I guess I'll have to improve more my skills/knowledge as u say

You skill is the bottleneck when it comes to making $$$ coding. So yeah, up those skillz.

@Leo Gura What are your opinions on a software development career? I think it's just a medium but can be very profitable money-wise. And that money can be used to buy free time and bootstrap something more meaningful than just creating software for companies that might not align with one's values.

It's a very practical option for bootstrapping yourself.

Although ultimately you want to position yourself in a way where you are not getting paid per hour. It's hard to win at that game.

Edited by Leo Gura

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's a very practical option for bootstrapping yourself.

Although ultimately you want to position yourself in a way where you are not getting paid per hour. It's hard to win at that game.

@Leo Gura I agree, but not getting paid hourly is harder said then done. I'm still picking apart your life purose course for this.