Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myioko

Does anyone know of any online art websites or forums to share artwork?

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is a specific question but are there any artists out there who know of online spaces to share and see others art? A place to share sketchbook work, fantasy art or illustration, storytelling art, even creative writing of some sort? Somewhere to share art that isn't speaking into a larger internet void like instagram and deviantart is.

A forum format would be nice (like here; I like how it feels and is setup and how it's a smaller space of people and there's a journal section where posts can be collected under one topic) , the only art forum that I know of is SVS learn, but it's geared towards children book artists and an often cartoonier style which isn't what I'm as interested in

I'm sure there are many discord and reddit art spaces as well, and I'm not too interested on going there, but maybe I should at least check those out.

Edited by Myioko

It sounds like Deviantart is the place you are looking for. It's both professional and hobby artists there. And it got more of a forum feel to it, rather than just showcase of portfolios that proffesionals tends to stick with.

www.deviantart.com

Edit: Sorry I didn't read your post accurate enough.

Edited by ZzzleepingBear

Behance

ArtStation

Those are for serious artists.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

@Leo Gura @Hello from Russia

Thanks, I checked those places out. Out of those three Behance looks like my favorite. I'll keep that in mind for the future

Thinking on it this morning, what I'm really looking for right now isn't to showcase anything professionally, I'm not there yet, what I want is to find an art community of some kind that feels more personable. I like seeing the messier background thoughts and drawings of artists even if they aren't professional/hobby artists and feel that I've missed out on making art friends. 

I'm thinking...

1. Work on my own things in a focused/direct and prolific manner, with individual style/vision, and have a portfolio, join an online art community or two and meet other artists, post on instagram, sell art online, try and make one or two art friends, go to art workshops, find an art mentor or teacher of some kind (besides books and online tutorials), enter online art competitions 

2. Sell my art at conventions and meet others there, put my art on a website, learn the printing process and book making process

3. More promotional, practical/business-like things once I have a body of work: like looking for social media places to share art (I still feel meh about this but...having a few different places to share things wouldn't hurt and I can get over that) youtube, learn about publishers and publication, that kind of stuff

And each step should take a couple of years

(And I've never wanted or been enthusiastic about working for companies, I don't think I'm well cut out for that and like doing my own thing, but I'd do that if I had to and I probably have some limiting beliefs and resistance there about the realities of work. On the other hand, I might feel happier if I had a job outside of art where I had room to work on my own things a couple hours a day.)

Edited by Myioko

@Leo Gura

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Behance

ArtStation

Those are for serious artists.

I agree that that sits is for serious artists, Artists with serious capital to spare. The TOS and policy pop-up window can't ever be closed, despite me reading such extensive lists, and almost very feature is priced and limited to the website only. I'm not sure whether to share images I have made there to others publicly. 

@Danioover9000 Stop being paranoid about people stealing your art and just make more art.

Abundance vs scarcity mindset.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Danioover9000 Stop being paranoid about people stealing your art and just make more art.

Abundance vs scarcity mindset.

What do you mean? If you meant with the A.I image generating stuff from the other thread, I'm not too worried about theft personally in that context, as they're stealing the A.I's work and not mine. As it is still a budding new field in art, it'll have loose copywrite issues that the market and other businesses will have to sort out, on the collective level.

In this context, about Art Station, I'm more worried if I'm gonna earn more, or just slightly more than the subscription fees plus other costs and interests in that website. And I agree with you, just checking out this website and I can tell, from their images serious artists do congregate there...

10 hours ago, Myioko said:

@Leo Gura @Hello from Russia

Thanks, I checked those places out. Out of those three Behance looks like my favorite. I'll keep that in mind for the future

Thinking on it this morning, what I'm really looking for right now isn't to showcase anything professionally, I'm not there yet, what I want is to find an art community of some kind that feels more personable. I like seeing the messier background thoughts and drawings of artists even if they aren't professional/hobby artists and feel that I've missed out on making art friends. 

I'm thinking...

1. Work on my own things in a focused/direct and prolific manner, with individual style/vision, and have a portfolio, join an online art community or two and meet other artists, post on instagram, sell art online, try and make one or two art friends, go to art workshops, find an art mentor or teacher of some kind (besides books and online tutorials), enter online art competitions 

2. Sell my art at conventions and meet others there, put my art on a website, learn the printing process and book making process

3. More promotional, practical/business-like things once I have a body of work: like looking for social media places to share art (I still feel meh about this but...having a few different places to share things wouldn't hurt and I can get over that) youtube, learn about publishers and publication, that kind of stuff

And each step should take a couple of years

(And I've never wanted or been enthusiastic about working for companies, I don't think I'm well cut out for that and like doing my own thing, but I'd do that if I had to and I probably have some limiting beliefs and resistance there about the realities of work. On the other hand, I might feel happier if I had a job outside of art where I had room to work on my own things a couple hours a day.)

Sounds like you need to find yourself some good discord channels and/or Facebook groups and things of that nature. There are plenty

4 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

In this context, about Art Station, I'm more worried if I'm gonna earn more, or just slightly more than the subscription fees plus other costs and interests in that website. And I agree with you, just checking out this website and I can tell, from their images serious artists do congregate there...

You can use the publicity to get big clients.

If I want to hire a serious artist I go look through Behance and ArtStation. Those guys can make $100-$200/hr.

Edited by Leo Gura