at_anchor

Inhaling a lot of paint

7 posts in this topic

I worked at a sweatshop around two years ago. My boss was very ruthless and cruel, but did not show it directly. He was outwardly calm, polite and I don't know how to describe him. He was short. 

So there was some emotional abuse, and basically I did everythimg there. I didn't get just one specific task. So in the end I was sanding painted doors for a week or two and you basically get a mist of paint that you breathe in. I would be all white and come back home coughing i  the shower for hours, not being able to breathe, basically it all got into my lungs. I was not registered, but I could find some witnesses.

How damaging is it to breathe all that paint in? Is it my responsibility or his for not giving his workers gas masks?

Potentially very dangerous.

You definitely must wear mask when spray painting or sanding stuff. Should be part of the job. But if it isn't you must be smart enough to speak up or at least bring your own mask.

I wear a mask even when just sawing wood, because the wood particles are bad for your lungs and eyes.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Tahuti said:

I'd sue his ass. Huffing isn't the healthiest of things to be doing. Can be deadly. It is your responsibility to research workplace health care using your search engine.. 

I'm not able to. He has a lawyer, money, experience, an IT police officer and his wife were ordering from him, as well as some politician. So I'm a small country compared to him. I would be burned and crushed even more.

I knew that it is unsafe and I tried telling this to the worker who I basically wanted to be good with and the other guy as well. So I was kind of pressured and tricked into it, kind of lured. I thought who am I to complain when these people had even worse lives. I was there for the people and wanted to help them one day. But it's a mission impossible and again, it appears some are loyal to that boss and don't give a fuck about the fact that I want to help. But I could be wrong. That guy might have just been ignorant or manipulated as well.

Edited by at_anchor

Your lungs can deal with an acute short-term offence. Just make sure to wear protective clothing and high-quality respirator the next time you do something like that 

I worked with a guy from construction industry once who told me that for over 20 years he has never been told to wear respirators and that he believes that was contributing to his severe ADHD & anxiety attacks through all that inhaled toxicity. It was definitely a possibility. 

But in your case, you'll be fine. You can take some NAC for a short time to boost your glutathione production and toxin removal. Lungs can take a lot of impact before becoming diseased. Just think how long most smokers inhale before first problems occur. although we could say that through our evolutionary history we are more adapted to detoxifying combustible particles than synthetic chemicals. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I think my eyesight and overall health worsened a lot from that, but there are many other factors as well.

If it was two years ago and you have no plans to do that kind of work in the future, I don't know if there's much to do about it now. 

You could try doing a detox, as outlined in a video Leo did. You have to follow the protocol exactly or you could do even more damage, so you have to be committed.

Mostly I wouldn't obsess about it. As a kid I chewed on a glowstick and it cracked some of the liquid got in my mouth, I've swallowed some mouthwash and toothpaste before, I've handled pink insulation without a mask or gloves, all kinds of stuff like that that probably isn't good for you.

But what's done is done, no point worrying. Just wear masks, gloves, and all the proper protective equipment if you do that kind of work again in the future, is about all that you can do.

Since you used the word sweatshop, I'm guessing you're not in a 1st world country, and your legal options are very limited or non-existent.

Keep it in the back of your mind and tell your doctor if you think it relates to some disease or symptoms you develop in the future. That's about it.

Edited by Yarco