Rasheed

Did Ken Wilber Actually Read 400 Books on His Bibliography

47 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

Reading books is not an accomplishment.

Being as well read as someone like Ken Wilber, John Vervaeke, Daniel Schmachtenberger etc. is an insane accomplishment and probably one of the more rewarding things one can do in life.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

I have read 85 books in a year and it's not hard. This was while having a full-time physical job and most of reading hours were audiobook listening. Up to 200 books a year is possible, I have tried to sustain that tempo, you need to read while eating a breakfast and dinner, you have to listen to audiobooks when driving and doing tasks with idle time, etc. But it's doable, and the books I have been reading were all scientific.

Around 40-50 this year and I work as a tutor half-time.

I've read 300 books within 2-3 years time frame, lol

Now taking a break from reading cause it's interfereing with my own contemplation. It becomes way too much other people's thoughts in the brain

I believe in his journals published in the book "One Taste" he describes oscillating through periods of "research" and periods of "writing." During his research days... he would usually read 2-5 books per day. If he found a book that was particularly important he might spend the whole day on it... or even multiple days... re-rereading it and highlighting.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

20 hours ago, kieranperez said:

I know a lot of people who know Wilber personally and he's a machine. It's kind of crazy his ability to synthesize massive amounts of work. His 20's and 30s he simply dedicated his life to writing, Zen, reading, and his job as a dishwasher. Not everybody can do what he does.

@kieranperez How do you know this? Where can I learn more about his life?

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

19 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

I've read 300 books within 2-3 years time frame, lol

Now taking a break from reading cause it's interfereing with my own contemplation. It becomes way too much other people's thoughts in the brain

@Hello from Russia Do you have any tips on reading more? 

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

He certainly read much, much more. 

Check out his library

Edited by Godhead

Ken Wilber is awesome.

But he isn't Awake, and all those books won't help him, nor you, to Awaken ;)

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Godhead Vishen’s book is really good too

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

There's no need to even read as fast as some of these numbers you guys are posting. Wilber is in his 70's. Assuming he started in his 20s that's 50+ years of reading. He's probably read thousands of books at this point. Honestly most people can do this, you just have to stop thinking short term (2-3 years) and think long term 20, 40, 60+ years.

Wliber's greatest mistake was that he didn't get into psychedelics.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ken Wilber is awesome.

What is your criteria? Maybe Wilber realized at some point he is God .. but never cared to share it like you have (thanks for doing so though).

Have you ever entertained this possibility for Wilber, along with any other teacher / person you deem not Woke?

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Wliber's greatest mistake was that he didn't ger into psychedelics.

Are you explicitly saying that psychedelics are the only path to obtain Awakening? Some may have achieved God-Realization without, you can't validate their direct experience .. as you have not access to it.

Edited by Terell Kirby

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ken Wilber is awesome.

The Buddha didn’t read books.  He followed a path of direct experience.  My impression of Wilbur is that he likes to synthesize and create grand systems.  So he can read 400 books and synthesize the knowledge.  He can take 400 mind castles and create 1 mind castle.  But his system doesn't go beyond the opinions of 400 authors.  He has no direct experience.   I am not awake either.  But I know that I have to be 100% honest with myself and live with the unknown to get out of the trap of my own mind and other people’s arbitrary opinions.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Focusing on the numbers/speed/accomplishment of the task is a stage orange way of framing it. I highly doubt he kept track or cares. His goal was to create a comprehensive theory of consciousness (Integral Theory) which naturally requires massive amounts of research and integration of a broad and diverse field.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:35 AM, Rasheed said:

In Ken Wilber's books, he has basically 400+ book in his bibliography. You can find example of it in books such as 'Up from Eden', 'Spectrum of Consciousness' etc...My question is: 

- Did he actually read all those books? 

On 9/21/2022 at 6:25 AM, Nilsi said:

Some former president of the USA (I unfortunately don't remember who) used to read a book everyday before breakfast. There are levels to this game

23 hours ago, kieranperez said:

I know a lot of people who know Wilber personally and he's a machine. It's kind of crazy his ability to synthesize massive amounts of work. His 20's and 30s he simply dedicated his life to writing, Zen, reading, and his job as a dishwasher. Not everybody can do what he does.

This fetishizing of accomplishment is just more Ego. Drop the Ego games and work on Awakening and Embodiment.

31 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Are you explicitly saying that psychedelics are the only path to obtain Awakening? Some may have achieved God-Realization without, you can't validate their direct experience .. as you have not access to it.

I would say any valid spiritual Awakening practice can get you there, although Leo might argue that psychedelics are best or offer something unique that is of kind and not degree of experience to other practices. 

Edited by mfgryan

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Wliber's greatest mistake was that he didn't get into psychedelics.

I'm pretty sure he's done psychedelics, probably Ayahuasca (he kind of implied it when he was asked about psychedelics as a tool for spiritual growth). I don't want to argue about this shit all the time, but I'm pretty sure he knows he's God (yeah, yeah, this is not the point, but I want to talk about Wilber right now ffs lol).

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

6 hours ago, ThePoint said:

@kieranperez How do you know this? Where can I learn more about his life?

I just said in my answer I know people who know Ken Wilber very well personally. 

3 hours ago, Nilsi said:

I'm pretty sure he's done psychedelics, probably Ayahuasca (he kind of implied it when he was asked about psychedelics as a tool for spiritual growth)

He never seriously go into psychedelics. He's said so.

Taking one ayahuasca trip is like reading one book.

Edited by Leo Gura