Thought Art

Escaping Wage Slavery

31 posts in this topic

On 20/09/2022 at 11:37 PM, Thought Art said:

Who here is interested in escaping wage slavery? 

I think this is the most important thing I can do right now in my life. I’ve got debt, and I don’t make very much at my accounting job.

Ive got to escape being a slave. I just… I really don’t know how I’m going to do this

I feel ya. I'm in the same boat at the moment. Working in corporate finance on useless projects that seem as relevant as collecting cigarette butts from the streets and decorating my house with them. 

It is hard, especially when you try to build a conscious business that does not get corrupted or seduced by get-rich-quick schemes, marketing or poor salesmanship. 

Sometimes the first step is not necessarily leaving your 9-5 tho. 

It is about finding a more chilled 9-5 where you can focus on the work that matters even if it means taking a pay cut. I could have been paid twice the amount I have right now and could have had a managerial role years ago but I reject all offers because my current job still offers a degree of freedom and some time to work on my business. That's worth more than working 11 hours for more money and having no freedom. 

I don't think there is an easy way to make this transition other than grind year after year and just aim to get a little bit better each month. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

IT is mega lucrative 

A lot of freelancing careers can potentially be very lucrative 

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

I feel ya. I'm in the same boat at the moment. Working in corporate finance on useless projects that seem as relevant as collecting cigarette butts from the streets and decorating my house with them. 

It is hard, especially when you try to build a conscious business that does not get corrupted or seduced by get-rich-quick schemes, marketing or poor salesmanship. 

Sometimes the first step is not necessarily leaving your 9-5 tho. 

It is about finding a more chilled 9-5 where you can focus on the work that matters even if it means taking a pay cut. I could have been paid twice the amount I have right now and could have had a managerial role years ago but I reject all offers because my current job still offers a degree of freedom and some time to work on my business. That's worth more than working 11 hours for more money and having no freedom. 

I don't think there is an easy way to make this transition other than grind year after year and just aim to get a little bit better each month. 

Wouldn't it have been / be better if you just took the high level position & worked tons of hours in your company, lived extremely frugally, worked non stop & suffered for several months - 1/2 year or however long necessary - then quit with everything saved, live in like a caravan in a cheap country & then focus 100% of your efforts on your business (and let say the saving give you couple years of free time to go all in) ? 

Part of this answer comes from my intuitive sense of the "Going full circle" concept because I know about people who have worked like 100 hours killing themselves for months & then quit & invested all the money going all in. 

9-5 just seems too prolonged & half assed unless your only doing it to put food on the table, but for actually building savings & investments, I'd personally rather kill myself working more with more responsibility, find a higher salary too & then go 100 hours & quit & invest everything I can from that living on a friends couch & not paying rent. 

I suppose I'm thinking about it quite simply though, if your main investment is personal skills & mental abilities & building an audiance over time that require consistent patient approach than I suppose 9-5 works better because you can do both simultaneously & allowing natural exponential growth to occur over time without missing sharp market or cultural trends, but then again then again I am overthinking bye. 

Edited by Optimized Life

I’m going to find a way out that is not just “find better wage slavery” ?

Im going deep into contemplation with my current resources and my marketing program I paid for. I think the way out is with this program. I just need to stop resisting and moaning about it’s probably price tag. Freedom isn’t cheap.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I am unsure as what the situation is as I care less and less about my survival as my degree forced me to learn about all of these skills coding/business creation and marketing. Outside sources and creating on your own is way more important. Imagine I had professors with their own company hiring students etc. because of talent helping them find their own independence either through skill/business creation that is mainly his goal as a professor.

Freedom is not cheap yes I would personally never learn accounting as I was forced to do it and I am okay at it, I just hate order. The amount of carreer jumper stories I heard especially in the U.S for tech it's incredible, the courses online are also very streamlined in comparrision to a lecture, the issue is time and energy. As well as perspective, I am unsure sometimes how far people think. 

It would personally for me be interesting what you'd learn from this so called marketing course as american PD industry is hypocritical as fuck, and creating a business is a skill of it's own imo when I see observe business owners and marketers. 

I am in the same boat of getting out of wage slavery I have ideas for multiple assets. Going 100% into business with accounting skills is legit the best thing you could possibly do, as you have power and know-how over data. This is what drives business imo. I am no expert just here with an opinion... 

The value and product/service provided should speak for itself imo at best, so there would also not be all to many stings of remorse if this makes sense. This is what I like about working business in China, people got what they wanted, nobody controls desire.. really...

Freelancing can pay of also I had coding classes in high school and a friend of mine stopped his entire school trajectory and started coding and earning money moving out of his family house when he was 18 or so moving to Berlin. 

I am unsure how hard it is to move into freelance, as I have no idea how good my skills area from just coding Uni stuff and projects and not more real-world projects. 

Living a life of adventure is definitely possible, I struggle with this too as I have a lot of interesets. This is why I like engineering it actually is more interesting than I thought and I never wanted to be an engineer. Anyway.. hope I don't install some false shit possible lol. 

What about ideas of starting ones own accounting firm as a service etc? You can even offer your employees qigong/meditation etc. for free for example from you or some person you know etc. I am unsure how much freedom you have by law when creating a business, stuff is more strict here in the E.U lol. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

10 hours ago, Hardkill said:

How much harder do you think the growing economic inequality of America has made it for most people living in the US to escape wage slavery compared to the good old days of egalitarian growth that practically every American experienced during the mid 1900s or even perhaps during the 90s?

It's hard to say. In some ways it's harder but in some ways it's easier. There are so many opportunities online these days that make business much easier than it used to be.

Breaking out used to be quite challenging because media was much less democratic.

The 90s were amazing opportunity-wise, but don't look backwards with envy, so much opportunity lies ahead. Pick a new emerging field and get to work. Tech, software, art, AI, games, VR worlds, psychedelics, spirituality, etc. have so much potential.

Income inequality really only affects people with standard salary or hourly wage jobs. It does not apply to creatives and entrepreneurs. If you generate massive value and innovation you will make lots of money.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's hard to say. In some ways it's harder but in some ways it's easier. There are so many opportunities online these days that make business much easier than it used to be.

Breaking out used to be quite challenging because media was much less democratic.

The 90s were amazing opportunity-wise, but don't look backwards with envy, so much opportunity lies ahead. Pick a new emerging field and get to work. Tech, software, art, AI, games, VR worlds, psychedelics, spirituality, etc. have so much potential.

Income inequality really only affects people with standard salary or hourly wage jobs. It does not apply to creatives and entrepreneurs. If you generate massive value and innovation you will make lots of money.

I feel it, my salary was not increased past 9years, I guess it was too high :) ... hmm, wanted to "retire" 3years ago and then corona hit (it was great time) and then inflation hit so I decided wait until I see we are out of the woods. 

According to Mr. Moustache I saved 25x yearly spending so I can "retire", I just try to stick to a plan rather than hurry.

22 hours ago, Optimized Life said:

Wouldn't it have been / be better if you just took the high level position & worked tons of hours in your company, lived extremely frugally, worked non stop & suffered for several months - 1/2 year or however long necessary - then quit with everything saved, live in like a caravan in a cheap country & then focus 100% of your efforts on your business (and let say the saving give you couple years of free time to go all in) ? 

Part of this answer comes from my intuitive sense of the "Going full circle" concept because I know about people who have worked like 100 hours killing themselves for months & then quit & invested all the money going all in. 

9-5 just seems too prolonged & half assed unless your only doing it to put food on the table, but for actually building savings & investments, I'd personally rather kill myself working more with more responsibility, find a higher salary too & then go 100 hours & quit & invest everything I can from that living on a friends couch & not paying rent. 

I suppose I'm thinking about it quite simply though, if your main investment is personal skills & mental abilities & building an audiance over time that require consistent patient approach than I suppose 9-5 works better because you can do both simultaneously & allowing natural exponential growth to occur over time without missing sharp market or cultural trends, but then again then again I am overthinking bye. 

You know these are all great points and it makes a lot of sense to, for some people, do it that way. If you have a very high-stress tolerance and can cope with a massive amount of pressure without burning up, then this is probably a good strategy. 

I wouldn't be able to handle that sort of lifestyle not even for a year because my stress threshold is generally lower so a lower stress environment with a good work-life balance is preferable and I'm willing to take a pay cut any day to protect my mental health. But then I know people who thrive in that sort of environment for years without any consequences so it is very much individual. 

If that works for you then go for it :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 9/23/2022 at 11:05 AM, Michal__ said:

Read Advanced magick for beginners by Alan Chapman if you want to use your meditation skills to eg. Escape wage slavery or whatever you want. Just don't abuse it so you aren't just stealing value.

Are you serious?

I am also in accounting, I make what I would consider a good pay and my job is chill. I have worked both ends of the accounting world, chilled accounting and very non-chilled lol. Its important to choose a good work life balance and get the largest salary you can. That way you will have more headspace and energy for side projects that can take off. I also invest in real estate. I own airbnb cabins and a long term rental. I plan on buying a property each year and thus far it has been great, learning a lot and its profitable without a ton of my time.

My plan is fulltime job for the next 3 years, real estate, and a side project/business of some kind... havent yet figured that piece out yet!