Clabber Girl

Can anyone share their experiences with intermittent fasting?

24 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Clabber Girl said:

I have been avoiding drinking and planning on doing IF 4-5 days a week for the rest of this year. It has been easy not drinking but I think IF for that many days a week will be challenging for me.

I am 154 lbs and 5'6 so not fat but not very thin either, I guess my motivation for losing a few lbs would be more confident in my body and be able to run more, climb better... What would the health benefits be of losing 10 lbs if you're not already fat/overweight?

If you lose weight without gaining or at least preserving muscle mass, you will gain it all back. At the very least, it will be a struggle to keep it off. Might as well not do that, when the solution is so simple.

Focus on barbell training; you will struggle to keep weight on once you’ve built 5 lb of muscle (on an effective program this takes about 20 weeks for women and 10 weeks for men).

Muscle is incredibly calorically wasteful. And not for the reason many dieticians and nutritionists seem to think — rather, it’s kind of like how a high-performance car engine with huge cylinders and high power output has horrible gas mileage… it’s not because more muscle increases your BMR (even though it will do that as well)… +10 lb of muscle will only increase your BMR to such an extent that you’ll burn an extra mere 60 kcals a day due to the BMR increase alone… a rounding error. And yet… it will nonetheless increase your daily caloric needs by 500-1200 kcals… or even FAR more, depending on your activity level… Particularly if the muscle mass was added uniformly throughout your entire body, particularly the lower body. And it’s not even because of the extra weight — The car engine analogy is the best explanation for the actual reason behind this phenomenon that all experienced lifters eventually notice.

High-performance muscle mass is extremely costly to maintain, calorically speaking.

Dieting for fat loss, without paying at least as much attention to building muscle, is simply a huge misunderstanding, and certainly a waste of time.

Consuming less than 80-120g protein a day is also a huge impediment to fat loss.

Even if you just maintained your muscle mass on a diet (requires barbell training or at least some fitness knowledge to do this with any regularity), you’d be many times more likely to keep the fat off than if you just dieted, and relatively speaking, you wouldn’t even have to try.

Don’t waste your effort and time. Life is short.

Edited by The0Self

Thanks! I do orange theory 2x a week, yoga here and there and running...

So not much in the way of strength training. I have dumbbells in my garage and a bench with a barbell so I already have a good set up. On my days I work from home I will add another strength session for 30 minutes. Youtube has plenty of free strength exerceises. 

On 20/09/2022 at 1:52 AM, Clabber Girl said:

I am interested in starting a weekly fasting schedule 8 hours eating window/16 hours fasting for 3 times a week. Mon / Wed / Friday would be my preferred days. Sometimes I feel bloated and tired, has fasting helped anyone with this?

I would love to hear your experiences or tips!

intermittent fasting! lets see....

According to Dr Sten Ekberg, intermittent fasting is eating once a day. He states that when you eat you spike insulin and lower growth hormone (growth hormone means you live longer too!). He states that fasting also kills cancer cells and other crap you body needs to detox

He also mentions that he dose intermittent fasting though out the week but can not manage to do it day in day out

Lets see....

I do intermittent fasting every day for about the last 2 years now. Wish I had done it when mother stopped breast feeding me other wise I would be 9" taller and 4" wider. But I guess I was pressured into it by my parents as they where force feed too! (if I could go back in time I would and a lot of scores to settle and a lot of peoples lights to punch out and even kill for that matter)

OOPS tell I lie, other day was weighting over an hour for the train and it was cold and wet so decided to treat myself to a mid day snack, wish I did not bother now, sure it tasted great but not long after it went down I felt blowted and dehydrated and tiered!

One thing to mention though; is its like weight lifting or exersise, at first you will struggle but after a while you will be able to do it every day then you can move on to every other day and soon, until eating once a week and have no hunger or tiedness and weakness inbetween

Best of luck with it

On 23/10/2022 at 5:45 PM, Asayake said:

Apple cider vinegar seems to help me a lot with my heart burn. But it makes me feel like I'm on some sort of stimulant and makes it very hard to sleep. Any idea what could be causing that?

I used to intermittent fast a lot because I didn't eat breakfast and I've never been fat but I've never been that muscular either. I think I've been eating low calories for a big part of my life. But in recent years I've developed an annoying heart burn that seems to be worse when I do it because then I end up being hungrier at the later part of the day, resulting in big meals close to bed time, which seems to be a recipe for heartburn for me.

Again according to dr sten ekberg. apple cider vinegar is acid and the body produces amino acids to digest the food so the extra acid helps in digestion (as opposed to alcaline that works in the other way)

Im sorry I dont know why you fell stimulated; all I would surgest is swap it for a more healthy acid like lemons and lime