Afonso

Is Eliminating Negative Core Beliefs Possible?

19 posts in this topic

I've been brainwashed by self-help books and videos that it is possible to eliminate limiting beliefs and negative patterns of thinking. In fact, it sure feels like I've overcome some limiting beliefs I had about approaching girls and socializing.

While reading the book The Confidence Gap, there's a paragraph which states that this idea is all non-sense.

Anything you've read in self-help books about 'erasing old mental tapes' or 'deleting old programs' or 'eliminating negative core beliefs' is stuff and nonsense. The latest discoveries in the world of neuroscience make it very clear that the brain does not eliminate or eradicate old neural pathways; rather it lays down new ones on top of the old ones. The more you use these new neural pathways, the more habitual your new patterns of thinking will become. But those old neural pathways will not disappear; those old patterns of thinking will not vanish.

I'm left a bit skeptical and confused. I consider myself to have improved my patterns of thinking throughout my journey, but now I'm faced with some questions. If my old patterns of thinking didn't vanish, can they resurface at any time? What can I do to prevent this? Is it even preventable? If my negative core beliefs didn't change, what did?

Edited by Afonso

Maybe it helps to think of it like this; a person who has not smoked for 4 years will be off smoking, yes, but he will still very subtlely have a temptation to smoke. That temptation never turns to zero, but over time it becomes less and less. 

The same thing applies to beliefs meaning: If you have some limiting beliefs about yourself, if you replace them, they will not totally go away, but you will still move away from them in a sense. The limiting beliefs can also resurface, but that does not matter if you are conscious of it as it happens and you know how to shift your focus :) 

They are maybe getting suppressed or changed into another set of beliefs that you might not see immediately. Only way to get rid of them completely is to destroy all of your emotional attachments. 

Memento Mori 

Flow With Life
https://trondsworld.com

@Afonso I guess its more about "use it or lose"
If the subconscious has accepted something thats not in benefit to the being than i guess the proper way to overcome this negative suggestion is through a strong counter suggestion, frequently repeated, which the mind must accept, eventually forming new and healthy habits of thought and life, for the subconscious mind is the seat of habit. Right? 

Edited by Bugs

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

As long as you are making positive changes and can recognize destructive behavior/thought patterns (and recognize results), does it matter what that book says about how it happens neurologically?

It might matter if you want a PhD in psychology, but probably no other case.

Edited by poimandres
Autocorrect

You can eliminate the belief that you're a human being.

So just imagine the possibilities! What you're asking about is peanuts.

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Afonso your subconscious mind = your body

your beliefs - hard-wired within your nervous system

transcending core beliefs = emotional labour, biological process.

From this stand-point most self-help including stuff like "positive affirmation" seem seriously retarded.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

14 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

From this stand-point most self-help including stuff like "positive affirmation" seem seriously retarded.

Not at all.

What is that but a belief?

Mantra meditation can be utterly life-transforming.

You seriously under-estimate the power of the mind.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

28 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

your subconscious mind = your body

Solar Plexus* that controls the body. 

@Nahm i'm starting to think u just be posting to post lol

36 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

@Afonso your subconscious mind = your body

your beliefs - hard-wired within your nervous system

transcending core beliefs = emotional labour, biological process.

Are you not experiencing what you are saying, though?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm ah I see. Yeah I just realized Im filtering affirmations through my own lense of negative experience with them from the past.

I still cant help but dislike the general idea, however Im coming to realize that proper use can accelerate one's development.

There just needs to be caution to what resonates.

35 minutes ago, Bugs said:

Solar Plexus* that controls the body. 

Why?

deleted

Edited by Bugs

@Bugs Well I'm starting to think your're thinking just to think.

@Martin123 Try this: Turn your tv on. Turn it up too loud. Watch only channels you don't like. For me that might be Lifetime and the Home Shopping Network. Commit to this until you have what it is you're looking for. 

@Bugs I'm trippin on your comment that you believe all beliefs are wrong. Thank you, it's been a long day and I needed that. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE