Rasheed

How long should MANUAL spiritual practice such as Meditation be?

9 posts in this topic

How long should MANUAL spiritual practice such as Meditation (like do nothing or self-inquiry) be? 

I am talking about a serious committed practitioner who is ready to practice for 10+ years?

Is 1 hour per day is enough? or it should be at least 2 hours or more? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I think usually it is recommended to do at least 2-4 hours a day and additionally at least ones a year: a week 2 weeks long meditation retreat.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

What I have heard is that Zen meditators who have trained 20+ years in meditation can consistently establish left right brain synchronization at will. What this means is you can do shit like astral projection or whatever psychic stuff at will ig. 

This is written in the Gateway Process CIA Document so take that for what you will. 

My point for bringing this up is that if you are at a point where you can do literal astral travel, Clairevoyancy, precognition, channeling and telepathy at will, you're also probably enlightened, lol. 

What I have also heard in yogic circles is that even a man who wants to live the ordinary life should meditate a minimum of 2.5 hours a day. Which is 10% of the day. This was also accompanied by them saying one should donate 10℅ of their monthly/yearly earnings. (Maybe wooing people to donate to them?) So take that for what you will as well. 

These are the things I have heard. 

My advice, meditate for as long as you can everyday. But do it consistently. And never go shorter than what you have done the previous day. 

i rise at 3 and sit til 7 starting since beginning of year ... certainly gotten a lot quieter but i am not 1% into the journey yet, am in for the long haul

i do one thing, let the breath pass through undisturbed

Enough time to get the desired result is the answer I’d say. This might be 10 hours for one person and 15 minutes for another. I’d say 1-2 hours for 10 years straight would get most talented people pretty remarkable results. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

If you ask this queastion you are not ready for this i was doing 8hours a day self inquary..

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

@Rasheed Meditation can strongly reinforce the self. All seeking is a veiling of the truth. This is a gateless gate.

Apparently.

4 hours ago, axiom said:

@Rasheed Meditation can strongly reinforce the self. All seeking is a veiling of the truth. This is a gateless gate.

If you don’t have the appropriate teachings and teachers, sure. Otherwise, meditation one of the most powerful tools available, particularly the deconstructive kind like self inquiry or vipassana. 

You can make life a practice, where you meditate as often is possible no matter what you are doing, until the practice becomes life and not the other way around.

If you are new to this, begin with minutes then proceed for longer and longer, investigate your senses, what is a thought? OBSERVE, there might come a thought instantly after you ask this question with an explanation, but that is not what we are after here, recognize the thoughts arising without getting stuck in it, but that is OK too, just put your attention on this thoughtless "space" again, be curious

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius