Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Julian gabriel

Why is Entertainment So Addictive?

5 posts in this topic

Why do you think that entrainment is prized above all else by so many? And why do I find it so addictive?

what does it do to the mind?

Most seem to prefer pain over boredom, why is this so?

it is the new opium of the masses, it is what keeps you fast asleep, never having to think, worst possible thing for body and soul

on your death bed entertainment will be the last thing on your mind yet it is what kept you most enslaved while your breathed sweet air

unconscious entertainment is outsourcing your relaxation energy to the most nefarious sources

take back control

If a person experiences hyperarousal while playing video games, the brain associates the activity with dopamine. The person develops a strong drive to seek out that same pleasure again and again. Dopamine is a powerful neurotransmitter in the brain.

Most people, upon being accused of entertainment addiction, become defensive. They insist they need to be online for work, that they are socializing with loved ones, or that spending time reading online is the same as curling up with a good book.

This is no defense against the reality that entertainment addiction is very real, since addicts of all varieties routinely deny that they have a problem. Because it isn't a mind-altering substance, though, many people still have difficulty accepting the notion that it can affect the brain in ways similar to some drugs.A complex set of interlocking factors contribute to making the entertainment  a powerful draw, especially for people who are already vulnerable to addiction.

Dopamine is the brain's pleasure and motivation neurotransmitter. This powerful neurotransmitter is what motivates your to engage in pleasurable experiences, like spending time with loved ones or going on a shopping spree. It also plays a role in drug addiction, since many drugs stimulate dopamine production. For most addicts, it's the dopamine rush that keeps them going back to drugs even when the consequences are high. Entertainment feels rewarding. These rewards increase dopamine production, creating a vicious cycle that encourages users to keep accessing it to keep getting a "hit" of dopamine.

There's close association between dopamine and  addiction.

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

@Julian gabriel I think its because people are dissociating themselves from ordinary experience

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Bread and circuses... People's limbic brains are attracted to fun, excitement, and novelty. A species that stagnates dies...it's wired into our DNA to want novelty because with novelty comes expansion...heck all animal species down to insects...look how fast killer bees expanded all over South America....

Entertainment tricks our brain into providing novelty. Video games trick our brain into thinking we are problem solving. Most dopamine is generated in anticipation of the reward, meaning people get journey pleasure as a result of evolution.  It's simply chemicals in the brain and drive all human behavior. It's why RPG games and games with stats where you slowly grow such as Clash of Clans are so popular and addictive.

I see this species as an impulsive drug addicted mess, addicted to hedonism and thrill seeking, at least in America. We chase tingles, emotional highs and lows, and sabotage our own long term happiness. However I don't believe in authoritarianism or strict control over our behavior either.... Nor do I believe in a massive support system that allows people to exist their whole lives without working. Better we let people learn by exploring their nature and assume the consequences of their bad choices.

I've channeled this away from video games and into musical theory, piano, and guitar. I'm finally getting a consistent habit in place and it's building momentum. 

Edited by sholomar