Matt23

Day 3/4: No Fruits, Berries, Other Sugars: Feel Great!

8 posts in this topic

Feel fucking good. 

So much more...

• Calm, and even keel.
    • Feel more even-keel and less up and down is probably the most noticeable change I've noticed, and most rewarding.
    •  Like, maybe generally a little more low-key, but ultimately more baseline well-being and feeling even, happier, and balanced.  Even if just a smidge, it feels significant.
  • More presence and clarity.
    • I feel like I'm wayy less in my head and am able to look around and be more present.  I don't know if this is from being more strict with my mindfulness habit, but I feel more present. Also perhaps more clarity of mind in combination with perhaps less thinking. 
  • More energy / more sustained energy throughout the day with no crashes. 
    • I would normally, prior to this, feel quite sluggish throughout the day and find it very difficult to find energy.  I now feel a lot better with not huge amounts of energy, but a nice sustained sense of energy.

I'd highly recommend anyone interested in doing a week or so without any sugars whatsoever to see how it feels.  That means no fruits, berries, honeys, and the obvious processed sugars.  Just veggies, carbs, proteins, starches (I haven't been eating much starches either, just as a regular diet outcome).  

See what happens. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

47 days without sugars/added sweeteners (aside from stevia and light amounts of agave,) still eating fruit, but noticeable changes. keep it up! You will find a balance that works for you.

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

Pretty sure those berries are not responsible for any of that. Berries actually blunt that blood sugar spike a little bit. Might have been all the other sugars tho.

Maybe you'll notice that adding fruit back won't result in any detrimental outcome.

Glad you found something that works!

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Thinking of fruits and berries as sources of sugar is a bit reductionist. For example, the fiber content has a big impact on how the sugar is processed, making it more akin to a slow carbohydrate. Eating a kiwi with the skin on feels almost like a complete meal in itself.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

There's a lot of plant based types brainwashed into thinking natural sugars are more healthy...like date syrup is good but refined beet sugar is bad...they are almost identical chemically...molecules of fructose and glucose. Same with honey and maple syrup... If it makes you feel better to eat a lot of honey thinking it's good for you, psychosomatic treatments are important. :) I'm not saying eating plant based is bad but there's lots of misinformation out there.

If processed foods are so bad why are these plant based eaters eating all these highly processed fake meats, protein powders and supplements?  Eat the items in their raw form and get back to me.

I'm experimenting with a higher fat lower carb diet right now. I'm not saying I'll do it permanently but I tend to feel worse eating lots of carbs when I'm in plant based mode. I eat lower carb fruits and veggies...I love grapefruits. Berries are a good source of antioxidants. If anything I'd give up starches and stick to lower carb fruits.

Flour turns right into glucose in the stomach, as do all low fiber starches.

Edited by sholomar

Just saying that I did 'x' and I feel 'y'.  ... and 'y' feels pretty damn good.

The not eating starch part was false as well.  I forgot I eat fries and potatoes chips (only chips with oil, potatoes, and salt) as an unguilty pleasure.  I'm not saying that's healthy btw, only that I still like to eat them.

6 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Pretty sure those berries are not responsible for any of that. Berries actually blunt that blood sugar spike a little bit.

I'll try adding some berries back in a bit to see what happens.  

Edited by Matt23

4 hours ago, sholomar said:

Eat the items in their raw form and get back to me.

Raw is basically my whole diet.  

Rice.  Beans I boil myself.  Veggies.  Nuts n seeds.  Fruit.  The occasional piece of meat, trying for organic and pasture raised as much as possible.  Potatoes chips (salt, oil, potatoe), fries, and date bars (ingredients: dates, cashews, cinnamon, ... all whole food), we're probably the most processed things I ate. Besides an occasional treat as well, which would've been maybe a date bar with some thing processed in it, or a brand of coconut ice cream where the only ingredient I didn't know was guar gum, the rest being things like coconut sugar, cocoa, walnuts, etc..  

Pretty good in my opinion as far as ingredients goes.  Yet still feeling very very lethargic during the day.  Quantities are probably the thing I could most work on.  But ever since cutting the fruits n berries n honeys etc., feel effin good, even while continuing to eat the potatoe chips and fries (maybe like 1 small bag 5-6 days a week, with some fries in there - I work at a restaurant so I snag some fries every once and a while on shift). 

Will see what a systematic reintroduction of particular fruit, berries, n other sugary stuff feels like.

Edited by Matt23