J

Are Roles Created By Other Roles? And How To Drop Roles?

13 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm curious if roles can derive from other roles products. For instance, I adopted the role of a materialist through school and societal conditioning,  the product of this role is chasing material items (For me I would say money and leisure goods [I'm extremely orange stage ]). From here  the product guides me to adopt another belief such as "If I want money then I NEED exemplary grades to go to a good college and get a great job." This belief gets built upon forming another role (in this case the perfectionist). This can cycle on and on forming several roles which in a way intertwine.

On the other hand, I'd also like to understand how some people just "drop" their roles. Do they have some process or do they just drop it one day? I mean something so deeply one identifies as for years can't be just dropped, right??? If they could be just dropped I bet I would be a whole new person today (which would be damn cool) but, in reality, it is seemingly in the horizon as a dream.

Thanks for reading 

@J Doing that worksheet, I would say they definitely could, especially since all the roles I have come from a fundamental desire to protect the ego and retain a false sense of self. I feel like it takes effort to remove these roles, especially if they become tied into your life purpose or spiritual development. I don't know too much about how one could go about dropping these but for me, simply becoming aware of these roles that I act out somehow gave them less power and when I question the reasons for why I'm doing them, I begin to see how unnecessary and inhibiting they are. 

@J Materialism isn't a role so much as a stage of development of consciousness.

Unless you actively think of yourself as a proud materialist.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yeah, not much of a proud materialist here ^_^

I must be misinterpreting roles.

Thanks. 

17 hours ago, J said:

Hello.

I'm curious if roles can derive from other roles products. For instance, I adopted the role of a materialist through school and societal conditioning,  the product of this role is chasing material items (For me I would say money and leisure goods [I'm extremely orange stage ]). From here  the product guides me to adopt another belief such as "If I want money then I NEED exemplary grades to go to a good college and get a great job." This belief gets built upon forming another role (in this case the perfectionist). This can cycle on and on forming several roles which in a way intertwine.

On the other hand, I'd also like to understand how some people just "drop" their roles. Do they have some process or do they just drop it one day? I mean something so deeply one identifies as for years can't be just dropped, right??? If they could be just dropped I bet I would be a whole new person today (which would be damn cool) but, in reality, it is seemingly in the horizon as a dream.

Thanks for reading 

May I ask you please, what material goods come to mind, that you desire? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Cars,, houses, musical instruments, , and computers are some i've thought of.

Have you thought about where you would go in your cars?

What would you do with your instruments?

What would you do with your computers?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Yeah. I always thought that If I got a nice car I could travel as much as I wanted  and have a fast ride.

I thought if I had the best guitar I'd make the best music.

And For computers....Rendering and video games were things i'd do with a nice computer.

But in reality like most things, I end up losing interest in everything and the pleasure they bring dies off in maybe an hour... :( 

Awesome.

Consider a perspective change. 

Inspiration to develop yourself will outlast desire for material things. You're losing interest in an hour because you're focusing on role cycles related to 'getting things'. From what you've said, you seek experiences that material things play a role in. (Role reversal?) 

The best guitar is the one you're playing.

@J To answer your question, I don't know for certain, but it likely has to do with untangling your identity in stages. For example, the goth kid Leo mentioned, could simply stop dressing that way, wearing the make-up etc...BUT, then finding ways to make new friends, or adjust to relating with old friends as "new-no-longer-goth-kid" = would be more difficult...how many goth ideals did they believe in? ..like incredible darkness of souls and the world, etc...(P.S. Leo, if you see this: "hopefully not" (goth), from my perspective, at least they are stepping out of the jeans n' t's mindless mainstream robot box...but I wasn't goth...lol...)

Part way through the roles video, I thought I had the exact day I began playing roles (12 years old, Jr. High, seriously just because of an incredible shirt from San Fran that changed my friends, my social life, etc)...Then shortly after that, Leo mentioned the part about those of us with fucked up childhoods....and I could instantly see, the roles started way before that! ...and yes, I can't find the beginning...i'm in the "harder -time" crew for sure...The most fucked up thing for me is; that I am aware of playing (maybe/ guess) 20-30% of those roles...just when I thought I was starting to become slightly less neurotic, thanks Leo...lol....Anyway, would I write the long list down, then try to find the "top" ones?...or, is it really unusual to have so many and best to work from that knowledge?

153dccfd481a9f1de33faf1bdfe6b7d8.jpg

we drop roles when we drop beliefs.   

all the role is, is a belief u added some where in your past about 'what you are'