johnlocke18

Leo wronglysaying socializing makes you dumber and less intellectual jobs are easier?

62 posts in this topic

First I have to address Leo responding to someone saying socializing makes you dumber, further discouraging the already isolated people on this forum from doing so. He’s dead wrong because it literally makes you sharper and able to think more fluid baseline because you’re literally training yourself to think clearer under pressure and get your ideas out. I think the reason he says this is because he avoids social pressure and so does a lot of his followers so it makes him feel better about it. When in reality he makes less and less sense being in an echo chamber and has no debate skills immediately deleting people and dodging any counter points. It even causes him to make less sense in general let alone under pressure because he’s getting no exercise for his mind and just says the same things over and over influencing his followers to do the same. Also, the only job he’s ever worked is making video games and his parents paid for his college so he has no clue what he’s talking about saying mindless jobs are less stressful. It was way harder for me working in a mindless factory than it was going to college and having an intellectual career afterwards. Leo preaches about things he has no experience in, especially adversity, so he’s not trustworthy to take advice from when his life has been a breeze. Being a video game designer and having his parents pay for his college is all he did before this, and he goes around giving harsh advice like he’s been through worse, that’s why he hates people like joe rogan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

Leo preaches about things he has no experience in, especially adversity, so he’s not trustworthy to take advice from when his life has been a breeze.

This is a tad presumptuous. You don't know Leo personally.

Socializing with the right people can make you smarter.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience correlates with what Leo is saying.

The less I socialize:
- the more time I have for spiritual practices,
- less I compare my Life Purpose with other's ways of living which makes it clearer and I do not doubt it,
- the less I have victim mentality that everyone around has, and other toxic structures that you sink in if you spend too much time socializing.

Note that his advice was to someone that asked about living as consciously as possible. It was not a question about living a good life. These are two different things.

 

54 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

It was way harder for me working in a mindless factory than it was going to college and having an intellectual career afterwards.

I was able to meditate A LOT when I was earning by driving a car. But now after college working as an analyst I am not able to hold high consciousness that much and it is much more stressful. So in my experience Leo is on point. But you have your own experience. Good. 

But instead of trying to understand his point of view, that for many people is correct, you decide to just be toxic:

56 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

When in reality he makes less and less sense being in an echo chamber and has no debate skills immediately deleting people and dodging any counter points. It even causes him to make less sense in general let alone under pressure because he’s getting no exercise for his mind and just says the same things over and over influencing his followers to do the same. Also, the only job he’s ever worked is making video games and his parents paid for his college so he has no clue what he’s talking about

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carl-Richard It is not presumptuous because he said that’s what his life was and that was his only job. My point still stands he talks about things he hasn’t been through. He talks about taking responsibility and adversity when his parents got him to where he’s at, and he even says so. They took care of him through school to get his only job which was video game designing, and he said he lived with them while getting actualized together. And he talks about how jobs he’s never had to work is less stressful. And he gives spiritual advice like a monk when he only meditated an hour a day. His life has been easy and he even said it was, and then he turns around giving advice on things he hasn’t been through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arthogaan If you don’t socialize then how would you know it makes you dumber? I socialize a lot and it only hones my intelligence. Intelligent people tend to be less social but that doesn’t mean socializing makes you less intelligence. You guys let Leo say all of these things without thinking for yourself because you’re afraid to question him because you know he’ll block you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

It is not presumptuous because he said that’s what his life was and that was his only job. My point still stands he talks about things he hasn’t been through.

Adversity is a broad concept, is all I'm saying.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnlocke18 said:

@Arthogaan If you don’t socialize then how would you know it makes you dumber? I socialize a lot and it only hones my intelligence. Intelligent people tend to be less social but that doesn’t mean socializing makes you less intelligence. You guys let Leo say all of these things without thinking for yourself because you’re afraid to question him because you know he’ll block you. 

Lol. We disagree with Leo all the time.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@johnlocke18 Are you open to the possibility that you can have insights and wisdom about topics that you did not go through yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Carl-Richard Okay, then send me an example where you disagree directly with him and he considers it. Otherwise my point still stands that you’re overly controlled and you’re afraid to disagree directly with him, and not behind his back. Because if you can’t directly disagree with him, then that shows you have to tip toe around him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arthogaan No, because then it wouldn’t be insights or wisdom. They’re gained through experience. Leo is giving advice on things that require experience to give sufficient advice on, that’s different than giving out knowledge like math or history. And if you’re claiming the opposite then you’re likely in denial. Also, the way he gives out advice commands respect, why should he command respect when he hasn’t been through what he preaches? 

Edited by johnlocke18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@johnlocke18 So, Leo is socializing a lot, as he describes in his videos for example "How to get laid" and have posted videos of him socializing.

So he has experience. So why don't you consider his opinion valid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnlocke18 said:

@Carl-Richard Okay, then my point still stands he speaks on things he hasn’t been through. 

He can still have an opinion. If you want my personal experiences, I study psychology, and I noticed the time I went for a short practice visit where minorities meet each other to practice speaking Norwegian, after speaking with a person who wasn't dumb by any means but just new to the language (he had a PhD in math didactics), and afterwards while speaking to my classmate, it felt like my mind was severely slowed down from having simplified my language for 2 hours straight. I think social interactions in general work the same way. Regardless of what you're talking about, you have to simplify your thinking so that people can understand you, and it might make you less smart if that is how you spend most of your time.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think there are times Leo doesn’t actually truly know what it’s like to experience certain kinds of adversity and it is plain in how he treats the sufferer. The real world reality and consequences, the stubbornness of it.

But when you then go and call them an ‘incel’, that shows a lack of empathy and an egoic will to one up to the extent of putting others down.

Edited by Proserpina

🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

@Carl-Richard Okay, then send me an example where you disagree directly with him and he considers it. Otherwise my point still stands that you’re overly controlled and you’re afraid to disagree directly with him, and not behind his back. Because if you can’t directly disagree with him, then that shows you have to tip toe around him. 

Lol just scroll through my latest posts on the death penalty.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you starting multiple same threads which one is main one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Arthogaan said:

@johnlocke18 So, Leo is socializing a lot, as he describes in his videos for example "How to get laid" and have posted videos of him socializing.

So he has experience. So why don't you consider his opinion valid?

 

I wouldn't listen to Leo when it comes to anything "social." He's obviously not concerned with being social, which is totally cool, but that gives his takes on socializing not a lot of credibility.


"We all must be, and can only be, a light unto ourselves."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, johnlocke18 said:

@Arthogaan No, because then it wouldn’t be insights or wisdom. They’re gained through experience. Leo is giving advice on things that require experience to give sufficient advice on, that’s different than giving out knowledge like math or history. And if you’re claiming the opposite then you’re likely in denial. Also, the way he gives out advice commands respect, why should he command respect when he hasn’t been through what he preaches? 

You do not know what you are talking about. Leo was wrong about really big things but in this one he is right. Most people for example are not interested in philosophy and psychology. So these topics will not work for them. Most people do not meditate and have problems to notice their bias etc.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I wouldn't listen to Leo when it comes to anything "social." He's obviously not concerned with being social, which is totally cool, but that gives his takes on socializing not a lot of credibility.

He was for awhile, he even recently said he was looking for a girlfriend...unless he changed his mind.


The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now