Space

A.I. Art Is Destroying My Life Purpose

436 posts in this topic

This is an interesting video to share, it may have a mix effect on those who are pro A.I. drawing, or against it.

Let's play a little game, called spot the difference, except spot the differences and similarities of their perspectives, and where they have blind spots about the potential benefits of A.I. drawing, and dangers of when it runs rampant by big companies and drive many traditional/creative artists that work a 9-5 in those art studios out of business and art jobs in their niche. I really wonder what their opinion on this issue is when their own family or friends get the boot?

On 15/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@Space So, any updates on using A.I drawing programs? Anything new or still the same?

I've been thinking a lot about it, and my perspective has shifted quite significantly since making the original post. I'm not personally using the AI in conjunction with my own work because most of the time I find it hinders my process and detracts from my style and voice. However I am keeping up to date with everything that's going on, new developments etc. 

I actually don't see this technology having a significant impact on professional artists' jobs any time soon. Although it's not that simple because some jobs will be impacted and replaced, some sooner rather than later and some not at all. Each sub-field of art & design needs to be looked at separately because each one will be impacted in different ways. So anyone giving a quick simple answer response to this technology is just factually wrong. AI will be able to do basic graphic design work way before its able to create professional work for big-budget games or animations. But then even within 'basic graphic design' you have more sub-fields, like logo design or leaflet design. Each one will be impacted differently. It's much more realistic to imagine the AI creating a bunch of new logo designs compared to creating a finished frame for a big-budget animation or final character design for a game. 

But my general view is that Ai-images are, to put it simply, just pretty pictures. They are exceptionally good and arguably 'human-level' pretty pictures, but aesthetic and technical proficiency is not enough to replace a human artist. There is far too much implicit understanding that is required in order to create useful professional artwork that can be used in actual professional contexts. Much of being an artist is about implicitly understanding an art director's or a client's needs, vision, specifications, requirements, personal creative ideas and combining all of that into a finished piece of work. So much subtly and nuance even the most simple projects. No AI can do this, let alone the current AI image generators, and arguably never will be able to because they can only understand explicit communication and prompts. 

Anyway, there's way too much to say, I could go on forever about this. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Interesting video, by a professional artist, on the topic of A.I generated artwork:

If art could be killed so easily then it isn't worth very much.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Danioover9000 at least AI doesn’t complain hehehe jk

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 2022-10-16 at 3:23 PM, the_void_of_chaos said:

Midjourney is fun.

the_void_of_chaos_Beksinski_style_huge_cathedral_death_mass_und_be81e997-7465-4ea2-a317-a0736684bdeb.png

the_void_of_chaos_a_very_detailed_graveyard_with_fog_small_oran_0fe606e4-120d-493e-91b2-642e4a3b7551.png

the_void_of_chaos_side_angle_giant_pyramid_bright_cloudless_day_2a68b7f3-8b36-4222-9a6a-45627bb17d2c.png

So beautiful wow 

The AI is already too powerful

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

On 2022-10-15 at 6:47 PM, The Zen Viking said:

Calm down. AI will replace 50% of jobs, forcing politicians to give us universal basic income and 3 day work weeks, and moving all people into social fields to fill in the smaller work weeks. You will have more spare time for your own projects, find a group that will create indie games/movies for fun. Getting people out of the work grind is a good thing in the big picture. But society as you know it now has to die

I used to think this… but, whatever the case I don’t wanna get caught completely useless 

◭"89"

Opposite it is contributing to my life purpose.

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

https://youtu.be/Qa4K7XsRO0g

Google new AI art generator credits the original artists in every generated photo.

We can imagine in the future a artists makes art and AI is used to generated more art inspired by it expanding on and fully crediting the original artist.

We can take that a step future and have AI copy rights that allow a artist to have full owner ship and require paid royalties for art generated using there work. 

This means artists can be paid for all art generated by AI and that becomes another revenue stream for them.

AI can become a platform people use to sell there content on.

Unfortunately the middle men will take a massive cut and even screw over the artists Spotify style. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral

21 hours ago, integral said:

https://youtu.be/Qa4K7XsRO0g

Google new AI art generator credits the original artists in every generated photo.

We can imagine in the future a artists makes art and AI is used to generated more art inspired by it expanding on and fully crediting the original artist.

We can take that a step future and have AI copy rights that allow a artist to have full owner ship and require paid royalties for art generated using there work. 

This means artists can be paid for all art generated by AI and that becomes another revenue stream for them.

AI can become a platform people use to sell there content on.

Unfortunately the middle men will take a massive cut and even screw over the artists Spotify style. 

I'm afraid it's more than the middle man that'll take a massive cut, because if too many people use A.I to sell their content, it'll cheapen the values of art, and it'll negatively impact current economic systems as there'll be too many royalties getting paid to too many people. Democratization has tradeoffs which I don't think most will understand nor care enough about, and will potentially ruin lives.

@Danioover9000 Ye it seems to be where things are going, I liked the potential idea of AI being used to help people sell there content, it might be applied is some situations but overall traditional artists will be wiped out.

still I see it used for brands to sell content, lets say you want to generate a image or video with your friends having fun with mickey mouse, Disney has to be paid royalties for that content and the content must adhere to the rules Disney sets like nothing violent or inappropriate. 

@integral

On 2023-05-19 at 3:46 PM, integral said:

@Danioover9000 Ye it seems to be where things are going, I liked the potential idea of AI being used to help people sell there content, it might be applied is some situations but overall traditional artists will be wiped out.

still I see it used for brands to sell content, lets say you want to generate a image or video with your friends having fun with mickey mouse, Disney has to be paid royalties for that content and the content must adhere to the rules Disney sets like nothing violent or inappropriate. 

True, I do have a side project, a visual novel game I'm making, and I'm considering whether to use maybe Chat GPT 3 or 4 to write some of the codes and I adjust from there because I have no love for programming, I'm okay delegating this part to A.I. The image drawing for characters and background, maybe music, and voice acting which I have multiple voices for, I'll do them. Arguably I can delegate more to a few more A.I programs that do voices, music, maybe animations or images, but personally I derive pleasure and meaning from making drawings, or a close making music, so idea to obfuscate these two to something else feels wrong. I do see this tech making self made millionaire myth easier to achieve, or the entrepreneur self made slightly easier.

Even Eminem, Drake, Lil Wayne and a few artists had to sue for copyright because some artists took their voices, ran it through A.I and rapped made up lyrics about cats or dogs or pizza or whatever. They were cool with this tech to begin with though as they didn't mind making some music video in cryptocurrency style or whatever.

Work is one of the main ways to satisfy the ego by feeling important.
I think back to kazinsky, and I wonder how it's going to end.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.