Space

A.I. Art Is Destroying My Life Purpose

436 posts in this topic

@Danioover9000 Yes, the arguments Vaush makes here are brutal refutations of our friend @AtheisticNonduality's denunciations of my argument that this destroys the art market for orthodox artists. 

Vaush went in hard here and made even more refined arguments than what I presented, which is amusingly gratifying. I wonder if @AtheisticNonduality would still hit me up with 48 facepalm emojis after seeing that video.

Where can I find an uncensored version of this bot? for science...

Edit: Upon reflection, maybe it's not worth it - all the twisted shit that can be created without censorship :S

Edited by Vercingetorix

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

I used Dall-E to make some art for a single I released a couple months ago. It came out pretty decently. Though I didn't just plug in any old suggestion until i found something I liked, I used the app to generate components of the art that I had in mind and assembled them together in an arrangement i liked.

6 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Space  Also interested in what you thought of his take on this as well:

I haven't watched the video so can't comment on it. Although I'm making my own videos on the topic and part of me wants to stay true to Leo's most recent video and come up with my own thoughts and insights - of which I have many already.

I'll probably watch the video though. 

My thoughts have been changing a lot in the past week or so. Particularly as I've been using the technology more and more and absorbing more AI images. 

I should say I don't consider prompt writing to be artistic. Is writing artistic? I guess you could call it that if you want. But I generally consider prompt writing as a whole separate field to artwork. It's like a completely different thing altogether, which certainly has merit and value in itself.

But I see people online saying they're creating art for the first time in their life. I very much disagree with this. They just entered a bunch of random prompts and picked the one that looked the best. Not even remotely close to or related to the process of creating artwork. 

But the technology can and will be very useful in certain contexts. I think its primary and most impactful role will be in the initial idea generation stage, creating mood boards, developing an overall aesthetic for a project, and helping artists think outside the box. I can see it being really powerful for these uses.

I'm still concerned about my own field, editorial illustration, because its so unique and different to other artistic domains. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

7 hours ago, DrugsBunny said:

Vaush went in hard here and made even more refined arguments than what I presented, which is amusingly gratifying. I wonder if @AtheisticNonduality would still hit me up with 48 facepalm emojis after seeing that video.

Stage Green flattening of hierarchies.

I must admit that I do have a bias on this topic, which is making art as accessible as possible so that not just the exceptionally skilled can experience the joy of creating beautiful things.

Art is the joy of creating beautiful things for one's own amusement.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I must admit that I do have a bias on this topic, which is making art as accessible as possible so that not just the exceptionally skilled can experience the joy of creating beautiful things.

Art was always accessible and enjoyable for people Leo.

You just couldn't create amazing work by offloading 99% of the work to an AI.  Your skill level reflected in the work of art.

Yes you're heavily bias, i been saying it all along, thanks for admitting it. I hope you're also aware acutely that there is delusion of thinking you are creating artwork but if you were sincerely honest you would admit you're offloading nearly everything to the AI.

The hours you're wasting on AI prompts is you're inability to communicate to the AI what you want, or experimenting with different results until you get lucky.

A very sad f-ing day for digital artist, they will need to adapt by changing over to traditional means or becoming retouch/editting artist as it will not pay off to spend long hours hand painting things skillfully and masterfully anymore especially when people cannot tell if someone is lying about whether using AI art at all, they could easily claim all credit for it.

I hope AI starts to replace everyone. So we no longer watch human's competing in anything but AI robots competing instead, to show how Farce all this **** is.

Edited by illusory

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, there are a multitude of different definitions of art. And then in each definition there are a multitude of different definitions of high quality vs. low quality art. And what is "beautiful" in this context, and what is "amusement" supposed to mean?

As in, listen to these three and see which one is the most like art or music and which one is better or such.

@illusory

2 minutes ago, illusory said:

Art was always accessible and enjoyable for people Leo.

You just couldn't create amazing work by offloading 99% of the work to an AI.  Your skill level reflected in the work of art.

Yes you're heavily bias, i been saying it all along, thanks for admitting it. I hope you're also aware acutely that there is delusion of thinking you are creating artwork but if you were sincerely honest you would admit you're offloading nearly everything to the AI.

The hours you're wasting on AI prompts is you're inability to communicate to the AI what you want, or experimenting with different results until you get lucky.

A very sad f-ing day for digital artist, they will need to adapt by changing over to traditional means or becoming retouch/editting artist as it will not pay off to spend long hours hand painting things skillfully and masterfully anymore especially when people cannot tell if someone is lying about whether using AI art at all, they could easily claim all credit for it.

I hope AI starts to replace everyone. So we no longer watch human's competing in anything but AI robots competing instead, to show how Farce all this **** is.

I'm also curious of the legal repercussions of when an A.I. program searches for 100s to 1,00,00s of images online, and some of them owned by artists and trademarked. There's the copywrite issue and such.

Also, art competitions would probably feel this impact a bit more, as you really don't know who's genuinely drawing, vs a person just prompting the A.I programs for nice images. It reminds me of cheaters who use A.I programs in chess and chinese go, it ultimately ruins the fun of the game, like what's the ppint of playing chess and other games when you can just let the A.I do all the work for you?

I am afraid most drawers would be asking this question, whether there was a point to their 10, 15, 30 or so years of art, if a machine can do it better.I can see how it would increase laziness and lack of care for an image collectively, even though art is subjective, like Vaush said, it's the communication and intent of the art making in the first place, and the increasing uncertainty of whether it's a human or a machine that did the work.

I don't know, feels like stealing to me, very subtly form of it, like React YouTubers that steal content. 

@Tahuti

7 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

????????! Love the reductionist standpoint, and the strawman. 

While the hours spent of prompting is a weaker issue of this, I think the bigger issue is the A.I program using many works os art on online spaces, with some of the artists not knowing their work is getting used.

We're not talking about what quantifies as "Art"

You can take a photo of a turd and label it as art, and it would be debatable.

We're talking about AI generated art directly replaces and competes with digital art, to the point that it's becoming indifferentiable.

I could literally make an instagram account with AI generated art and do some paint overs get rid of some of the obvious AI evidence and then lie and claim that I masterfully painted all these myself and grow and milk my follower base.

Seriously the DOUBLE STANDARDS IS SO F-ING UNREAL, if someone uses an AI bot to own in a mutli-player COD WARZONE instead of being hailed as gaming god or artist he'd be out casted and crucified. But when it comes to art its fine because 99% of the population doesn’t have artistic skill or draughtsmanship.

Edited by illusory

@Tahuti

1 minute ago, Tahuti said:

If A.I ever replaced a genius like bassnectar then life ain't worth living hahaha. Everyone listen to this amazing psychedelic art. He makes music on psychedelics:

Yes, nobody would bat an eye if an A.I. program took his music and mix it with thousands of other music it takes.

5 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

1. That nick cave song is the worst song in the history of man Kind.

Well, that's why I picked it. But if that's the worst song you've ever heard you haven't listened to a lot of music . . .

6 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

2. Chopin is okay would be better if you at least mentioned bach, brahm, or beethoven's hidden works.

I like Chopin the best, and the blue-starriness of the Van Gogh matched the color scheme better.

7 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

3. You need to speak to God so he can give you perfect pitch like me. Your music made my ears bleed. 

I picked that one because it's on Leo's playlist, it's like 2013, and because of the genre.

So it was around this order:

1. Anti-orthodox "noisiness" done by obsessive / insane Australian.

2. Classical and "proper" piano piece with beauty.

3. Dance song with modern atmosphere and pop sensibility / rhythm.

It's a variation to see how people define things, not necessarily endorsements of the greatest pieces of music to ever exist; though they are probably better than what you listen to.

Something like THIS is art, not something some AI with no human context may create.

25 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@illusory

I'm also curious of the legal repercussions of when an A.I. program searches for 100s to 1,00,00s of images online, and some of them owned by artists and trademarked. There's the copywrite issue and such.

Also, art competitions would probably feel this impact a bit more, as you really don't know who's genuinely drawing, vs a person just prompting the A.I programs for nice images. It reminds me of cheaters who use A.I programs in chess and chinese go, it ultimately ruins the fun of the game, like what's the ppint of playing chess and other games when you can just let the A.I do all the work for you?

I am afraid most drawers would be asking this question, whether there was a point to their 10, 15, 30 or so years of art, if a machine can do it better.I can see how it would increase laziness and lack of care for an image collectively, even though art is subjective, like Vaush said, it's the communication and intent of the art making in the first place, and the increasing uncertainty of whether it's a human or a machine that did the work.

I don't know, feels like stealing to me, very subtly form of it, like React YouTubers that steal content. 

I think legally it will be fine, as the AI is generating something new by mixing and mashing, worse case scenario i think fair use will prevail here.

I think it will be very hard to opt out of AI searches, in the same way it will be difficult to avoid all search engines.

Personally I think AI is here to stay and digital artist got the biggest shaft in their life time than ever before. The "Push Button to make art" meme has turned into a reality.

The Experienced aritst still has a advantage dont get me wrong, but the skill gap has been narrowed a lot more, you could have some like Leo who has no real experience in art and draughtsmanship go head to head with an experience artist and even win some competitions or gain more followers on social media etc.

Pretty sure the norm is going to be NOT admitting to using AI art.

If AI was more obvious, or people didnt lie about using AI art, then digital art would in a better safer position but that's not going to happen.

52 minutes ago, Tahuti said:

@AtheisticNonduality Yes, Leo has the worst taste in music I've ever come across on planet earth. I've heard much worse. I give nick cage 2 points for causing intrigue. I at least finished the song. That is very rare for me. I love how he built up the ominous like emotion with the instruments. I like the Marilyn manson vocal style/tone but thought the lyricism itself was God awful. Let me show you some hidden beethoven gems:

LISTEN TO THE MASTERY! TOOK HIM OVER A DECADE TO PLAY THIS... A.I can never replace such art...

1. https://open.spotify.com/album/0YeC5cmca8EfE3YGfX8L1X?si=BlXdPJtpQ8qzM1tPGcljIQ&utm_source=copy-link
  2. https://open.spotify.com/album/715RuqanWLzrXKDBzsEo38?si=Gh2kn_-RQb2lYpPRhN0RSg&utm_source=copy-link
  3. kotaro fukuma & wilhelm backhaus beethoven piano sonata

This one is pure bliss.

I will have to disagree that AI could never create this. I think it easily could and it probably can already.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Just now, Nilsi said:

I will have to disagree that AI could never create this. I think it easily could and it probably can already.

Delusions.

1 minute ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Delusions.

What you are seeing is not the cutting-edge of AI, I hope you realise this.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus