35 posts in this topic

@Tyler Robinson You're welcome.

I hope it helps you.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

On 8/31/2022 at 5:52 AM, Tyler Robinson said:

I think actual action needs tons of motivation

Could be...  But also don't forget that the motivation-action dynamic is a two-way street: You can start with intrinsically creating motivation that leads to action, or you can take action that feeds back on itself thus creating more motivation.  

I guess I'm speaking from my own experience, so forgive any misunderstanding.  I've been caught, I think, in focusing too much in thinking that I needed to create or "find" that one piece of intrinsic motivation first (whether through clarifying goals, values, using visualization, etc.).  Years spent doing this with honestly, from my perspective, little to show for it.  But recently I've just been like "Ok, I'm just going to do shit, even if I feel it's not 100% perfect or right, or even if it feels irrelevant and even a waste of time."  This has kind of led me to focus more on experiences in the real world (rather than my mind), which has given me far more motivation and inspiration since I've gotten more real-world experiences that motivate me and make me think "Oh! This is what, for example, taking a mini-road trip every week and driving to someplace new in my city feels like.  I love this!"  Whereas my thoughts about it, prior to doing it, might have been like "What's the point.  It seems so boring and useless."  But I just pushed through my pre-conveived notions of what the experience would be like and just had/created the experience first, which led to new discoveries and sometimes correcting those preconceived notions.

I hope this makes sense and isn't convolluded.  lol. 

But ya, 

I guess the moral of the story, just from my experience, take it as you will, is...

• Having joyful experiences create a feedback loop of motivation, making you want to seek them again.  
  • If you short-circuit having experiences by listening to your mind telling you things like "It's not worth it", "I'm not motivated to do it", "It's too much of a hassle", etc., you may miss out on that motivational feedback loop and the great joys, discoveries, pleasures, and meaning in life. 
  • "Just Do It (Nike)" = When in doubt, prioritize having the experience, within reasonable bounds obviously (i.e. if you're struggling to pay the rent, don't buy a round-the-world plane ticket lol).

Hope this helps a bit.

Again, it's what I've been struggling with probably a lot, so it's from my lens.  Take it as you will.  

And, it's also ok to do nothing and just chill.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

9 hours ago, Matt23 said:

Could be...  But also don't forget that the motivation-action dynamic is a two-way street: You can start with intrinsically creating motivation that leads to action, or you can take action that feeds back on itself thus creating more motivation.  

I guess I'm speaking from my own experience, so forgive any misunderstanding.  I've been caught, I think, in focusing too much in thinking that I needed to create or "find" that one piece of intrinsic motivation first (whether through clarifying goals, values, using visualization, etc.).  Years spent doing this with honestly, from my perspective, little to show for it.  But recently I've just been like "Ok, I'm just going to do shit, even if I feel it's not 100% perfect or right, or even if it feels irrelevant and even a waste of time."  This has kind of led me to focus more on experiences in the real world (rather than my mind), which has given me far more motivation and inspiration since I've gotten more real-world experiences that motivate me and make me think "Oh! This is what, for example, taking a mini-road trip every week and driving to someplace new in my city feels like.  I love this!"  Whereas my thoughts about it, prior to doing it, might have been like "What's the point.  It seems so boring and useless."  But I just pushed through my pre-conveived notions of what the experience would be like and just had/created the experience first, which led to new discoveries and sometimes correcting those preconceived notions.

I hope this makes sense and isn't convolluded.  lol. 

But ya, 

I guess the moral of the story, just from my experience, take it as you will, is...

• Having joyful experiences create a feedback loop of motivation, making you want to seek them again.  
  • If you short-circuit having experiences by listening to your mind telling you things like "It's not worth it", "I'm not motivated to do it", "It's too much of a hassle", etc., you may miss out on that motivational feedback loop and the great joys, discoveries, pleasures, and meaning in life. 
  • "Just Do It (Nike)" = When in doubt, prioritize having the experience, within reasonable bounds obviously (i.e. if you're struggling to pay the rent, don't buy a round-the-world plane ticket lol).

Hope this helps a bit.

Again, it's what I've been struggling with probably a lot, so it's from my lens.  Take it as you will.  

And, it's also ok to do nothing and just chill.  

I can't thank you enough for this post. Your post is full of wisdom that will be of great help. I'm very thankful that you took the time to write such a thoughtful post. 

I'm going to be implementing a lot of the generous wisdom you offered in your post. 

I will be posting my own experience with motivation and my progress here. 

Thanks again. Incredibly helpful. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

22 hours ago, Tyler Robinson said:

I can't thank you enough for this post. Your post is full of wisdom that will be of great help. I'm very thankful that you took the time to write such a thoughtful post. 

I'm going to be implementing a lot of the generous wisdom you offered in your post. 

I will be posting my own experience with motivation and my progress here. 

Thanks again. Incredibly helpful. 

Thumbs up

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

On 31.8.2022 at 9:22 PM, Tyler Robinson said:

That's incredible. Thank you so much. 

After a while Huberman gets boring. Things that take 5 minutes he talks for 1 hour.

Like many I have the same problem as yours. I tried so many things and they help only a little bit.
I had a friend he wasted his life with video games. I gave him one tip. Try to research self improvement 
routines. Find out which of them worked the most for people. That might remind you at least what is 
out there. If you have the thought the action can follow easier than without the thought.

What works a bit for me is. The minute system. You can do many things when you just do only one minute
and then relax or meditate for one minute and do another one minute of the new stuff.

Another thing that seems to help is basically changing your journaling to loud self talk. It is better to do 
it while walking. It is like going for a walk with your friend. Do that in your room. While doing that you are
in an active situation there you can switch to do other things and come back to it again.

You can prime self talk with reading a book loud for 5 minutes or so then your mouth is ready for self talk.

Edited by Epikur

@Epikur thank you so much for those tips. 

:)

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

7 minutes ago, Tyler Robinson said:

@Epikur thank you so much for those tips. 

Hope it helps. I write it to remind myself again:

1 One minute system
2 Priming selftalk and walking
3 Very soft and  very short muscle exercises. 
4 later in the day use music as energizer and karaoke for good mood and verbal 
priming for the next day. Combine it with cardio for example walking or riding a bike outside.

Edited by Epikur

1 hour ago, Epikur said:

Hope it helps. I write it to remind myself again:

1 One minute system
2 Priming selftalk and walking
3 Very soft and  very short muscle exercises. 
4 later in the day use music as energizer and karaoke for good mood and verbal 
priming for the next day. Combine it with cardio for example walking or riding a bike outside.

♡✸♡.

I think the greatest motivator for me might just be rest and relaxation actually, you get all rested and raring to go take on the world

On 9/10/2022 at 9:14 PM, Devin said:

I think the greatest motivator for me might just be rest and relaxation actually, you get all rested and raring to go take on the world

Yea long rest breaks. But sitting at home doesn't feel like a break. There's work and chores at home. The real break would be taking a vacation to some nice beach place for at least a minimum of 3 weeks and feel energized, sadly you need a shit ton of money for retreats and vacations, not for the ordinary or the middle class. 

♡✸♡.

14 hours ago, Tyler Robinson said:

Yea long rest breaks. But sitting at home doesn't feel like a break. There's work and chores at home. The real break would be taking a vacation to some nice beach place for at least a minimum of 3 weeks and feel energized, sadly you need a shit ton of money for retreats and vacations, not for the ordinary or the middle class. 

Have you looked into the emotional guidance scale by Abraham hicks?

"Like Nisargadatta says, stay with "I am". Like Jesus, says, seek first the kingdom of heaven. Like Louise Hay says, approve of yourself, like Abraham Hicks says, get in the Vortex and then."

Be content, accept what you have and don't have, appreciate what you have, right now you can't have anything other than what you have so try to be happy with what you have; happiness and joy is where motivation comes from to do what you want. Fear will motivate you to do what you don't want

Follow the emotional guidance scale to identify, acknowledge, and that releases the chains, then that allows you to move up the scale to get to joy where you have complete freedom(motivation)

Quit comparing yourself to others, admit and feel jealousy, appreciate what you have to be happy; only then will you have control of yourself, you're repressing your emotions to do something (will power), doing something really doesn't matter, joy is what really matters. And when you have joy then you have complete control of yourself and motivation

You can look at others for things you want to try, but not to see what you're lacking; you're lacking nothing, joy is yours if you choose it, and all that matters is joy, therefore you have everything, everything else is made up, it's just entertainment, a distraction, partake if you want but it has no meaning

Is it possible for you to enjoy right now? Your breathing, the sky, drinking water....? Do that, enjoy, know that joy is your choice at any moment, choose to always live in joy, THEN, you can do what you want. Although, for a time you will likely want to soak up those simple joys, but don't fear you won't move on to something else in the world, you will. This is the rest and relaxation im talking about.

Edited by Devin

@Devin @Anand Yog thanks 

@Devin emotional guidance scale. I think I have heard of it. 

♡✸♡.

@Devin :x

@Anand Yog thanks 

Edited by Tyler Robinson

♡✸♡.

@Tahuti  it's what works for me, actualize doesn't seem like the appropriate word for this. Anyone should easily be able to try it, nothing complicated or long and drawn out about it.

Actualize to me means to make something happen, but what I'm describing is already there it's just covered up. I think everyone can already, and do do this, they're just not very aware that they do.

Edited by Devin