Tyler Robinson

How to feel motivated?

35 posts in this topic

I feel Disorganized and I just don't feel like doing anything. 

Some days I am fine especially when I am happy inside and in general if things are going fine. Or if I received a compliment. 

And then other days i feel sick and just hate the whole world. 

I wish I could feel upbeat everyday and not so low energy all the time. 

Any tips on how to get motivated would help. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

you are relying on the outside word to spur you on, it has to be gotten from inside

you need to take motivation out of the equation and live from your vision

very little of daily life should be left to chance and everything should be from choice

the day needs to be won from the time you get up irrespective of all happenings

you have life loosely mapped out, how you will proceed and what you will achieve

motivation is for dummies; just get up and do what you must

9 hours ago, gettoefl said:

you are relying on the outside word to spur you on, it has to be gotten from inside

you need to take motivation out of the equation and live from your vision

very little of daily life should be left to chance and everything should be from choice

the day needs to be won from the time you get up irrespective of all happenings

you have life loosely mapped out, how you will proceed and what you will achieve

motivation is for dummies; just get up and do what you must

But I don't feel motivated enough. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

One thing that's worked for me is to just try and do shit.  Especially stuff that I normally wouldn't do; taking mini weekend vacations, accomplishing something that may seem minor or irrelevant to what you see as your LP or life, go to Meetups.  Basically, shake things up a bit. 

I noticed that once I start doing more shit, rather than just thinking about my values and goals and trying to clarify those, I pretty rapidly get more motivation and the motivation feels way more strong and long-lasting (as opposed to fleeting motivation you get from something like visualizing or something).  

Also, just learned from Andrew Huberman's podcast, that apparently things like visualizations, dreamboards, goals and values lists, may help initially start you off, but they actually decrease motivation long-term.  This happens since when you do something like visualizing yourself having your ultimate goal, perhaps drinking pina coladas on a sunny beach, you're actually inducing your mind and body to think it already has it.  This, in turn, reduces the motivating chemicals and mechanisms in your body since it thinks it already has it.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

46 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

noticed that once I start doing more shit, rather than just thinking about my values and goals and trying to clarify those, I pretty rapidly get more motivation and the motivation feels way more strong and long-lasting (as opposed to fleeting motivation you get from something like visualizing or something).  

I just don't feel like doing things. And forcing myself feels claustrophobic and trapped 

♡✸♡.

6 hours ago, Tyler Robinson said:

But I don't feel motivated enough. 

i am motivated by the fact that i am humbled to have another day of life, another 24 hours to savor marvel luxuriate ... in the unfolding mystery

my heart could stop beating any day but today it hasn't so i have a responsibility to live in totality

it is all in my hands whether i do that, no one else's

Try using the forum less. Take a break from all the drama and take some action in real life. 

Spend some time alone to think about what you actually love doing and want to be doing. Writing in journals is nice but sometimes action is needed to move things forward. 

The more you resist the outer world, the stronger the grip of anxiety will become. Go out, explore, spend some time alone in nature, talk to people, read books and work on figuring out what's the most important thing to be doing with your life 

Your energy is also dependant on your diet, lifestyle, daylight exposure, vitamin D, iron levels etc but I feel (from your content) that the answer may be in disconnecting yourself from this place for a few months. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 when I take a break, I feel even more demotiivated. When I see people working on themselves here, it feels a bit stimulating. What one thing you said that resonates with how I feel is that I need to be figuring out the most important thing in my life. 

♡✸♡.

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Spend some time alone to think about what you actually love doing and want to be doing. Writing in journals is nice but sometimes action is needed to move things forward. 

I don't particularly enjoy doing anything except journaling and art work. I feel good when I'm journaling. That's the only thing I can do without needing any extra motivation. I don't feel forced when I'm doing it. But any other task except writing/art feels like a pressure on my head. 

I'm most relaxed when I'm talking to friendly people or journaling. And I can only feel motivated when I'm doing relaxing work. 

♡✸♡.

@Ulax thanks 

♡✸♡.

2 hours ago, Tyler Robinson said:

What one thing you said that resonates with how I feel is that I need to be figuring out the most important thing in my life. 

Perhaps it would be worth journaling on whether journaling itself isn't an avoidance of facing this existential question. Mind can be tricky with avoding the important work through something "urgent" but less important. 

One the axis of Urgent vs Important - do you focus on what has low importance and high urgency? How could you get to low urgency and high imortance. That's where the growth is but that's where also the most emotional resistance lies. 

That sense of motivation can be created. Mind can be very resourceful with dopaminergic stimulation but it needs to believe that you are serious. If you convince your mind that what you do is serious and important, that motivation will follow suit 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Just now, Michael569 said:

Perhaps it would be worth journaling on whether journaling itself isn't an avoidance of facing this existential question. Mind can be tricky with avoding the important work through something "urgent" but less important. 

One the axis of Urgent vs Important - do you focus on what has low importance and high urgency? How could you get to low urgency and high imortance. That's where the growth is but that's where also the most emotional resistance lies. 

Journaling always helped me brainstorm. Just a tool. 

I think actual action needs tons of motivation and this needs some red energy which I apparently lack. 

♡✸♡.

1 hour ago, Ulax said:

I'd recommend going through this workbook:

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Janina-Fisher/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AJanina+Fisher

It might be that you have a lot of hypoarousal going on which will make you feel exhausted. The workbook could help you with this and more.

I wish you well.

Do you know of more stuff that's similar to that? 

♡✸♡.

1 hour ago, Tyler Robinson said:

and this needs some red energy which I apparently lack. 

This might be easier to fix than you think. Again, all about action. Maybe the action here is to start your day with 15 minute daylight exposure followed by a good breakfast and some short yoga. 30 minute time altogether can make a drastic difference to your motivation for the rest of the day. 

Good luck, either way 

@Michael569 thank you. 

♡✸♡.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:58 PM, Matt23 said:

Also, just learned from Andrew Huberman's podcast,   

I highly recommend this guys podcasts.  I think If you like Leo you will like this guy- he is just more about the science of the brain which is good for practical stuff and personal development.  But a lot of your motivation levels are directly related to your baseline dopamine levels.  Check out his episodes on dopamine and motivation.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

6 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

I highly recommend this guys podcasts.  I think If you like Leo you will like this guy- he is just more about the science of the brain which is good for practical stuff and personal development.  But a lot of your motivation levels are directly related to your baseline dopamine levels.  Check out his episodes on dopamine and motivation.

That's incredible. Thank you so much. 

♡✸♡.

13 hours ago, Tyler Robinson said:

Do you know of more stuff that's similar to that? 

@Tyler Robinson Sure.

There is the book, 'Healing the fragmented selves of trauma survivors' by Fisher

You have: https://integralguide.com/

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

9 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Tyler Robinson Sure.

There is the book, 'Healing the fragmented selves of trauma survivors' by Fisher

You have: https://integralguide.com/

Thanks again. 

♡✸♡.