Lila9

Is everybody affected by charismatic people the same

5 posts in this topic

It's known that humans tend to be biased in favor of charismatic, beautiful, powerful (or other socially valued advantages) people.

If the majority of people agree that a certain person has charisma, 

does his charisma affect everyone the same? 

I feel that some of us are less likely to be paralyzed by beauty or charisma.

If so, what makes people less likely to be affected by charisma? A healthy sense of critical thinking? Intelligence? Self-reliance?

I can think of traits that might make people get attracted more to charismatic people such: young age and lack of experience, avoidance in taking responsibility for oneself, magical thinking and ignorance.

Those are rough thoughts of mine and I would like to know what do you think about this subject.

Also, do you think you tend to be more or less affected by the charisma of others, compared to other people? Why?

Thank you :x

Let Love In

12 hours ago, Lila9 said:

If so, what makes people less likely to be affected by charisma? A healthy sense of critical thinking? Intelligence? Self-reliance?

Having a sense of your own values. A charismatic person will usually have a strong sense of their own values, and they'll easily persuade someone who doesn't.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I have a co-worker, very charismatic, confident socially, very articulate, tells a lot of stories, very engaging to listen to, deep voice,  tall, etc..

Many of the people around him, love him, like sheep in a herd, accepting what he says as truth or at least valid, hanging on his every word, as if he is a god. its like they see him with rose colored glasses, or dont really hear what he is actually saying, taking it on face value.

Its incredible, to watch him talk with others and they are under a spell! I even brought it up to him, saying "I think its funny how seriously people take your words, and how they just follow along with you, even if what you're saying doesn't make sense." He laughed and agreed, he said "They think they are my friends, but when shit hits the fan, I run with wolves, not sheep."

Like @Carl-Richard pointed to 

On 8/28/2022 at 4:19 AM, Carl-Richard said:

Having a sense of your own values. A charismatic person will usually have a strong sense of their own values, and they'll easily persuade someone who doesn't.

and what you pointed to 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, Lila9 said:

A healthy sense of critical thinking? Intelligence? Self-reliance?

I would add, self knowledge and trust, and a sense of life purpose. 

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

Charisma is the embodiment of a personal characteristic you recognize in others but desire in yourself. 

Not everyone desires the same things, so one's charisma doesn't work on everyone. 

Good question tho.