The Mystical Man

The Last of Us Part I & II - The Best Video Game of All Time

69 posts in this topic

In my opinion, this is the greatest video game ever created. Everything about it is amazing: the art direction, the graphics, the animations, the gameplay, the level design, the sound design, the music, the acting, and, of course, the story. It's all top-notch. I can't play other games anymore. Neil Druckmann and everyone at Naughty Dog are extremely talented. No other game company manages to reach these incredibly high quality standards:

When Naughty Dog made Uncharted, they wanted to make a playable movie. With The Last of Us, they achieved a playable TV Series, because the story is long, and the cast is big. 

As a culture, we don't celebrate the beauty of The Last of Us enough because of the medium: it's a video game, which isn't accessible enough. If it was a TV Series, more people would know about it and love it. Fortunately, HBO is making a TV Series. 

The more time passes, the more I love Part II. I'm even tempted to say that it's better than Part I, but I like to think of it as one big story.

In his book "Story", Robert McKee writes: "Drove to an Act Two climax so moving that I thought the story was over. And yet, out of the ashes of the second act, this writer created a third act of such power, such beauty, and such magnificence." Part II did that multiple times. You think the story is coming to an end, but you get one more act. Druckmann is a McKee fan, too, and that's why Naughty Dog's stories are the best.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

FdmP9myXwAEcgeL?format=jpg&name=large

I'm so happy that this experience exists. I predict that it's one of the last modern masterpieces. We probably won't get works of art like these in the future. Art will become less mature and less sophisticated. Everything will become absurd.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

I played this game all the way through, avoided spoilers, beat it on hard without knowing the plot. I really thought it wasn't a good game at all but that's just my opinion, I'm glad you genuinely enjoyed it. 

3 hours ago, AuroraDream said:

I played this game all the way through, avoided spoilers, beat it on hard without knowing the plot. I really thought it wasn't a good game at all but that's just my opinion, I'm glad you genuinely enjoyed it. 

Video games are diverse, so we all look for different things when we play a video game. Maybe you prefer multi-player games, I don't know. But even then I struggle to understand why someone doesn't enjoy The Last of Us. Can you say why you think it's not good at all? 

I really liked last of us 1, angry joe's and the critical drinkers review really put into words well what I agree what's wrong with the game if you wanna check those videos out.

11 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

Can you say why you think it's not good at all? 

There's a lot to say about it, but basically, I just found it very very boring, slow, and pointless, wishy washy, and the ending was unsatisfying and depressing and left me without caring or hoping for anything more from the next story or game. 

like it took ellie murdering hundreds of people, who had nothing to do with the problem, to get revenge on the 1 person, she set out on 2 basically suicide missions to hunt her down and find her, and in the end when she finally has her, she lets her go, and thats somehow supposed to be beautiful and symbolic how she finally leanred her lesson the getting revenge is bad? Yet she brutally murdered everyone in her way of this one person who didnt deserve to die, yeah i just dont see the beauty in it,

at least the execution, the ideas were interesting, the perspective flip and all that, kinda cool, but i think the execution coulda been better, the writing, less convenient encounters that push the plot along in a way that seems too lucky and convenient, less of that and I would have probably liked it more, but hard to say

@AuroraDream I also struggled with it when I first played it, but the more time passed, and the more I put aside my own expectations, the more I saw the beauty in Part II. But it's not going to work for everyone, and that's okay.

The soundtrack is the ?

Played the Uncharted trilogy on PS3 and loved it.

These are the types of games that I want to play, not Fortnite-type titles.

Edited by UnbornTao

3 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

not Fortnite-type titles

There's a place for those titles, but I don't enjoy those kinds of games, either. It's a different kind of entertainment. I prefer the kind of entertainment that has fascinating setups and payoffs. I want to have the sense that this movie, series, novel, or game is setting up a satisfying payoff, not just at the finale but throughout the work. However, the final payoff, the climax, has to be the best one. When I watch a movie or play a game, I can tell very, very quickly: "This is not going anywhere. The creator doesn't know what he's doing." I want meaningful emotional experiences, but those are hard to come by, which is why I cherish a masterpiece very much when I find one.

fp18ery9xy381.png

I think The Last of Us is the perfect duology. I don't think we need a third part.

I don’t game a lot, but this series was truly incredible. I even played them multiple times! It’s just so perfect in regards to story, gameplay, and the acting. 

17 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Just give us a new Jak & Daxter 

Actually, they were working on a new Jak & Daxter. They didn't like the concept, so they made The Last of Us.  

Best game of all time?

Stretching it a bit

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Best game of all time?

Stretching it a bit

That's just my opinion. What's your suggestion?

24 minutes ago, The Mystical Man said:

That's just my opinion. What's your suggestion?

That's a very long list.

Rayman, Morrowind, and Patapon are on there for sure.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I played the first one only for about 6 hours. It was great and I really enjoyed following the story but wasn't my top 10. 

In a similar category, I enjoyed the old Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 much more, Alan Wake was not bad either and Metro Exodus is probably one of my top 3. 

In other genres Divinity 2, Dark Souls 2&3, TES, StarCraft and Total War Roman series (before they started making the Warhammer crap) would score in my top 10. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

33 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Rayman, Morrowind, and Patapon are on there for sure.

I have fond memories of playing Rayman 2 & 3. Reminds me of another great but less known game: Vexx.

33 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

StarCraft

Best RTS. Love it.