Brivido

Water filter - I want to stop using plastic bottles

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

The amount of plastic bottles that I use to drink water is getting out of hand, it's bad for the environment and it's a pain too, they fill the plastic bin any other day.

Do you have any suggestions on a water filter? I can't spend thousands at the moment.

Do you know if the water filter pitcher that you can get on amazon are any good? 

I am based in Italy, the quality of the water here is quite good, but I think it's still better not to drink directly from the faucet.

Just get a Brita filter and a quality bottle that you can carry around. You'll spend 50 euros at most.

hrhrhtewgfegege

A problem with plastic bottles isn't just the environment, it's also that you're probably drinking microplastics. So if you use a plastic water filter pitcher, you're still getting plastic in your water. I think the generally accepted statistic is that a normal person can be ingesting a credit card's worth of plastic per week.

You said you can't spend thousands, but if you're okay spending $200 - $300 then I'd consider reverse osmosis that goes under your sink and hooks straight up to the tap.

Then get some glass bottles to store the water in the fridge and drink from around the house.

I buy Voss brand sparkling water that comes in a 800ml glass bottle, and then keep the bottle and refill it to store my water in. I have 2 or 3 glass bottles of water in the fridge at a time and just cycle through them and refill them. Maybe every 6 months or so when the bottles start to get a bit gross or worn then I buy another 2-3 bottles to replace them. Nothing special about the bottle, it's just cheaper to buy a $3 - 4 bottle of sparkling water and re-use the bottle, compared to what you'd pay on Amazon for a similar glass bottle. 

You could do the same thing with San Pellegrino glass bottles as long as the caps don't rust or leak when you lay the bottles on their side, I haven't tried them.

Glass is heavy and difficult to carry to work or class, so you might want a plastic bottle still when you leave the house. But if you drink filtered water from glass while you're at home it's still better than not at all.

Edited by Yarco

I like the Aqua True.. I also found a reverse Osmosis water sold at my local grocery store. It filters it right in front of you. Don't hesitate to invest in a good filtration system if you can.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Average Investor has done a lot of research as well as youtube videos on this topic. Maybe reach out to him via PM. 

I wouldn't be cheap with water purification but equally you don't need to spend thousands. 400-600 bucks should get you covered for a high quality standard filter. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

w-whats your thoughts on distilled water?

Edited by nuwu