sleepy

'Cheat' meals - a cheap dopamine craving, or a manifestation of God's Love?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker but this is my first post. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

One thing I seem to struggle with is binge eating junk food. I can go really long periods of time on a clean healthy diet, but in my mind I can only do this if there's a fixed date in the future for a cheat meal where I can release all my cravings and gorge on junk food.

After extented periods of time on an ultra clean diet my mind begins to justify a binge session by thinking things like "there's no such thing as junk food, it's a relative concept, all is One, all is Love, all is God, so enjoy that pizza and that ice cream".

Is this devilry? Or is it okay to binge on junk food from time to time to experience the full spectrum of God's manifestation? Life is a buffet after all so why not try all the flavours?

I'm interested in what you guys think, your own experiences, and any practical tips you have. Thanks!

@sleepy

When you have right reasons to eat healthy, you'll not even want to eat unhealthy.

-joNi-

Who told you that "others" are real?

I think it's ok to indulge in some ice cream and pizza.

These are not even that unhealthy.

Body builders eat ice cream because it has comparatively low calories, pizza you can eat without cheese and with lots of veggies and it becomes healthier (if you don't have celiac of course).

Yesterday I had vegan ice cream without sugar, just dates and it was amazing!

What you should avoid is salmon, that stuff is poison.

So with all in life it's counterintuitive but you will figure it out. Listen to your body.

Of course it depends on what your goals are, what your vision is.

@universe

Yeah I mean many people need to change mindset about food. You should start to enjoy food from how much it fills you, gives you nutrients and how it makes you feel. Bad diet usually is sign of you enjoying food in very narrow and flat way. Cure for that is trying to enjoy different tastes and trying to appreciate food as a gift. When you have some health goals like building good body, being in shape or recuding acne etc. you are more motivated not to eat wrong things. Point is that there must be some deep reason behind all your actions or you won't stick to those habits and that is the reason why fat people stay fat.

Who told you that "others" are real?

Cheat meals are for people who cheat themselves out of their own potential. There’s nothing wrong with a refeed day, but if you have to regularly cheat your diet, it’s time to develop a stronger mindset. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

one thing i can say for sure is, this mentality of having a perfect diet go hand-in-hand with craving copious amounts of "junk" food. will power is not the answer to all life's problems

i highly recommend the book Intuitive Eating, i finally feel at peace with food. 

one day this will all be memories

Great question man. I’d be lying if I said I’ve full resolved this area….

That said what’s helped me the most is the dropping of judgments & increased mindfullness.

I let myself indulge in “junk” food whenever I deeply desire too but I remain mindful throughout the process of eating and how I feel afterwards.

By doing this the cravings have diminished and I’ve naturally ate healthy foods. No strict discipline required.

So enjoy that fucking pizza but be aware of the impact it’s having on your body… without criticism. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

If you can actually lustfully enjoy a cheat indulgement in any area that you usually stay clear of, i would say yeah go for it every once and a while. I meqn were here to play human to some degree, arent we? The most frustrating thing possible for me however is to take the wind out of my sails to indulge in something where I then notice that I don't really enjoy it. Its like that with cigarettes for me - they pull me in like a magnet but as soon as I light that motherfucker it is dissatisfying from then on. So if its like that I try to stay away completely.