TheOneReborn

When in an Awakened state, how do you experience language?

13 posts in this topic

Not sure if it's just me but whenever I am deep in non-dual awareness, language feels very weird. I'm wondering how it feels for you?

Remember when you were a kid and you keep repeating a word over and over till it loses its "meaning" - it feels something like that but not to the extent where I can't engage in language easily. 

Words come out of my mouth but it feels like someone else is speaking. I am speaking from pure intuition. 

When I hear others I feel their tone of voice and emotion so much more. The symbolic meaning of the word fades away and the emotion of the delivery takes center stage. 

Even reading words on text, the emotion and relative placement of the word has a feeling or "vibe" associates with it. I notice I read much slower when in non dual states as well. 

It becomes clear to me that language is a totally closed system and that as important as what IS said, is that is not being said. Silence implies all that is not being said. language as a construction of concious beings clearly shows itself to be a derivation of thought and object-subject duality. I feel like language is something that sort of "happens" and I more experience it rather than actively engage in it. That though is probably due to the "dissociation" that happens when Awakened where you sort of just submit to the universe and are in total flow. But I wonder if language is "concious" or has a subjectivity to it. 

The main thing is that every word I hear pulses with emotionality, tonality, and depth. The truth of language is not in what is said, but rather THAT the thing was said. 

Does you experience language differently when in non dual states?

Edited by TheOneReborn

Just realized this belongs in the spirituality sub forum :(

Sorry

Post awakening I experience language as a restrictive prison. I notice how it's all self referential games and in many cases people are spouting a bunch of words but they aren't saying much at all. It's a mind game like anything else and awakening made me too self aware to enjoy most uses of language. I'm aware of it as a construct now and it's not a good feeling.

Edited by Holykael

It is clear that sounds and symbols are just what they are. Language is seen to be the ability of the mind to take sounds and symbols and make of them something they are not (project meaning or reference). 

It is reasonable that you are more sensitive and listen more deeply to other communications when you are less mind identified. When we believe our minds it is like being under hypnosis, and in the context of communicating with others, the mind will project its own meaning to others communications and you will be less sensitive to their emotions and other nuances in their communication.

To me, language seems to be an object like the other objects of the world, and linguistic structure seems to be a structure like the physical structure. That's, in a sense, like when Hegel says "real is rational, and rational is real", meaning the objects of the inner world are in zero distance from the objects of the outer world. 

So, to me, both mental and physical structures seem to be at zero distance from each other, and that language is another form of being experiencing being, meaning, as the reality is a self forming system, language also is a self forming system, or maybe we can even say that it is the same system appearing to itself as dualities and subtleties. 

Does anyone have any book recommendations on the topic of how language is inherently dualistic? Or any writing on language and non-dualism? 

Why is language fundamentally unable to grasp God? Is it because the utterance of the language is itself part of being?

@TheOneReborn Language is like a finger pointing to the moon. If you're busy looking at the finger you'll never see the moon.

I want to become mkre

3 hours ago, cetus said:

@TheOneReborn Language is like a finger pointing to the moon. If you're busy looking at the finger you'll never see the moon.

I want to become more concious of language as a social phenomenon. I want to get a sense of its limitations. 

5 hours ago, TheOneReborn said:

Does anyone have any book recommendations on the topic of how language is inherently dualistic? Or any writing on language and non-dualism? 

Why is language fundamentally unable to grasp God? Is it because the utterance of the language is itself part of being?

Why would you need a book for that? Isn't it obvious that language is about creating distinctions/labels, and not unifying them?

How would a distinction could "grasp" or contain its source, let alone a symbol or a sound?

47 minutes ago, Batman said:

Why would you need a book for that? Isn't it obvious that language is about creating distinctions/labels, and not unifying them?

How would a distinction could "grasp" or contain its source, let alone a symbol or a sound?

I think it is not just what language is about creating distinctions, but language is a distinction itself, it's a "thing" itself. 

Edited by Vibroverse

14 hours ago, Judy2 said:

Thinking about it now i guess....if we had to be 100% precise about the label to referent or category to referent relationship, we would get lost. In other words, for language to work, it relies on our imprecision and mental flexibility rather than a robotic rigidity. Because reality is "alive", and the system of language is itself embedded in the thing it is attempting to describe.

Not sure if this makes any sense, it's difficult to put into words.

Yea I totally agree. And that also becomes clear when awakened. Language is an internal phenomenon which relies on the assumed meaning that others place on the same words. Language has an intelligence to it. 

Sometimes I wonder whether communication is metaphysical and fundamental to conciousness. 

Language activates memory, intellect, and ego.  So it generally takes me out of the state unless I make an effort.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, TheOneReborn said:

Perhaps contemplate "what is language without awareness/experience/beingness".  It may reveal some of your inner dualistic notions of what "You" are and thus what anything is.

Could there be "language" without the latter?