PlayOnWords

Genuine Voluntary Homelessness

5 posts in this topic

As the title suggests, I'm seriously thinking about going homeless, voluntarily.

I work a 9-8 job 4 days a week and I cannot cope with it. Its a customer service role, answering phone calls. It's working from home which I guess I should be grateful for, but my gratitude grows weaker with every "this is shocking".

My desire, at this moment, is to pack up and head for the hills (or anywhere that will provide me some true solitude) but I do have reservations, as you might imagine.

I'm sure those I consider family will help me when I need it and because I'm in a job right now, I could buy every necessary tool and apparatus to do this right. I would, of course, have to say goodbye to my room I'm staying in, which is a lovely, big room.

However, I'm afraid I just cannot cope with the rat race at this time. I really can not fucking do it. And I feel this may be a wonderful experience; kind of like Into The Wild but in Britain's fields, fords and forests.

How do you plan on surviving when it's freezing outside? 

Assuming you have really thought this through all the way and don't see any alternative path, at least travel to India and join some kind of ashram or spiritual community. There you will at least get some shelter, food and be able to pursue your spirituality (which will be the only worthwhile thing left at that point).

This seems pretty fucking naive to me overall though, and I would strongly urge you to consider your alternatives.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@PlayOnWords it sounds like your job genuinely sucks but I would seriously consider the consequences of going homeless. Do you have the skills to survive in the wild? Do you have friends who can take you in? Do you have any sort of plan?

It sounds to me like the solution is to start making moves to get another job. And then maybe even eventually plans to start a business to generate financial independence.

Joining an ashram is a much better alternative. Or a karma yoga program. You get shelter community food and spiritual teachings included. Homelessness seems fucking rough

Try it and give us the results in the future please.

I recommend using your job just to save for some basic shelter. 

Also I think you may find this guy helpful:

https://youtu.be/nX4kq4QfYRA

He foraged all his food for a year and built a house from cheap leftovers for 5k $.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.