Bird Larry

Is anyone sick of lyrics in music?

94 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

 

 

I think you're mixing up music and art.  They're not the same thing.

If I wanna get high on music, Imma listen to things with a good rhythm, harmony, and drop.

If I don't want to get high, then I'll look for something else.

 

Music, to me, is all about peak experiences, and about ambience.  If I want something else then that's not a regular thing for me.  I rarely go on the art subreddit to appreciate people's art.  Only really when I'm tripping.  I treat music that's "music as an art form" the same.

Edited by thisintegrated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

I think you're mixing up music and art.  They're not the same thing.

Just like a human and God are not the same thing . . . ?

Quote

If I don't want to get high, then I'll look for something else.

Hedonism.

Quote

I think you're mixing up music and art.  They're not the same thing.

You're in a minority, if you claim music has no emotional function. That's entirely the point it for which it exists, whether or not that emotional function is purely pleasurable or brings in an element of negative emotions into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Just like a human and God are not the same thing . . . ?

..how is this relevant here?

 

Quote

Hedonism.

How so?  Actually one of my main long term goals is to become more hedonistic.  

 

Quote

You're in a minority, if you claim music has no emotional function. That's entirely the point it for which it exists, whether or not that emotional function is purely pleasurable or brings in an element of negative emotions into it.

I already said I use music to get high, aka euphoria, which you consider an emotion.  I'm extremely sensitive to euphoria.  More than anyone I've ever known.  But I don't consider myself emotional.  Euphoria, to me, just seems like "energy", and not a call to action like most emotions are.  I guess you could compare it more to food or sex than to emotion.  Is masturbation emotional because it feels good?  Is cheese emotional?

Edited by thisintegrated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

How so?  Actually one of my main long term goals is to become more hedonistic.  

I meant music that only exists based on the pleasure principle with no actual merit meaningfully is for the most part pretty bad, with exceptions.

Quote

I already said I use music to get high, aka euphoria, which you consider an emotion.  I'm extremely sensitive to euphoria.  More than anyone I've ever known.  But I don't consider myself emotional.  Euphoria, to me, just seems like "energy", and not a call to action like every emotion is.

I just implied you had a narrow definition: "Music is when da musics make cool noises and melodies such vast euphoria comes reaching in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

I meant music that only exists based on the pleasure principle with no actual merit meaningfully is for the most part pretty bad

Ok, I consider this as without any sort of emotional message.  No heartbreak/love crap.  Just pure stimulation.

Do you consider this "pretty bad" as there's nothing emotional here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMo5wx5ZZ4

 

Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

I just implied you had a narrow definition: "Music is when da musics make cool noises and melodies such vast euphoria comes reaching in."

Are you complaining I'm not technical enough?  You wanna talk experimental music theory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a retarded thing to argue about.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

This is such a retarded thing to argue about.

29 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:
29 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something like this, is stimulating and meaningful simultaneously. They are not exclusive at all, so there's no reason to value stimulation over meaning.

Even though the vocals are shoddy since he's vaguely imitating someone, it is both, if you're acute enough to discern the meaning; though it's very abstract.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Something like this, is stimulating and meaningful simultaneously. They are not exclusive at all, so there's no reason to value stimulation over meaning.

Even though the vocals are shoddy since he's vaguely imitating someone, it is both, if you're acute enough to discern the meaning; though it's very abstract.

 

Video not available.

 

Of course it's better when there's emotion, but stimulation comes first. Always.

Here are a couple more examples with no real emotional message.  No sad/happy/loving/angry/etc,  Just raw stimulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vcJPKHJ3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10J-ygTZStE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKOo6yLf2Y

Edited by thisintegrated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Of course it's better when there's emotion, but stimulation comes first. Always.

Emotion stimulates me. The overly-treble "ah, ah, ah, huh, huh, huh," of the first video didn't really get me. But I understand the aesthetic. But it's just underdeveloped and anemic, like music turning into a digital hollowed-out skeleton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

Emotion stimulates me. The overly-treble "ah, ah, ah, huh, huh, huh," of the first video didn't really get me. But I understand the aesthetic. But it's just underdeveloped and anemic, like music turning into a digital hollowed-out skeleton.

Yeah that one's underdeveloped, but gets the ideas across the best as it's so barebones.

"second lives" though is raw stimulation, yet I don't think it's really missing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated You like those dance stimulations for the same reason you love anime, am I wrong?

It's related but not in any way I could really explain.

There are many reasons I like anime.  Anime has less filler and more actual "content" than your Downton Abbey or whatever you like to watch, but so did Game of Thrones.  I like music that's like GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime.  What do GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime have in common?  Figure that out, and you'll figure out my taste in music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Lol, you just don't like music.🤦🤦🤦🤦

lolwut

I like music.  You're the one who only cares about poetry.

I bet you don't even study it or play any instruments:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I bet you don't even study it or play any instruments:P

🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

lolwut

I like music.  You're the one who only cares about poetry.

I bet you don't even study it or play any instruments:P

I agree. @AtheisticNonduality has never played any instruments or studied it. You can see this when you read his first comment on this topic. 

Edited by Bird Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

I like music that's like GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime.  What do GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime have in common?  Figure that out, and you'll figure out my taste in music.

Information density.


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, JoeVolcano said:

This is a Trent Reznor song about self-transcendence and solipsism:

 

And this one, which I used to listen to a lot when I was going through a solipsistic crisis . . . and the lyrics about mirrors and self-deceptions and cages.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a hate lyrics thread. Stop posting videos and keep hating lyrics :) 


Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now