Bird Larry

Is anyone sick of lyrics in music?

92 posts in this topic

@thisintegrated You're throwing in a lot of flat descriptive words while trying capture something that is really normative, virtuous or good, which is why you feel like writing an essay about it. You say you want things like contrast, tonality, complexity etc., but you don't just want these things to be present (they always are in a sense), but you want them to come in the right proportions, in a certain way. You can describe this through virtues like balance, intelligence, creativity, neatness, beauty.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@thisintegrated You're throwing in a lot of flat descriptive words while trying capture something that is really normative, virtuous or good, which is why you feel like writing an essay about it. You say you want things like contrast, tonality, complexity etc., but you don't just want these things to be present (they always are in a sense), but you want them to come in the right proportions, in a certain way. You can describe this through virtues like balance, intelligence, creativity, neatness.

He has awful taste, hence vices like imbalance, unintelligence, uncreativity, disorderliness, etc. (I am joking, somewhat.)

10 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@thisintegrated You're throwing in a lot of flat descriptive words while trying capture something that is really normative, virtuous or good, which is why you feel like writing an essay about it. You say you want things like contrast, tonality, complexity etc., but you don't just want these things to be present (they always are in a sense), but you want them to come in the right proportions, in a certain way. You can describe this through virtues like balance, intelligence, creativity, neatness.

I don't think you understood a single thing I was saying.

That "certain way" is precisely what I was explaining here.  Contrast is the very thing that brings about balance and "the right proportions".

Too much of one things = no contrast = bad proportions.

I'm just pointing out that lack of contrast is the actual root of the problem when you see that the "proportions" are wrong on something.  Tonality makes you actually care/relate to what's happening.  Without it you'd not care what happens to who.  And from there what you need is contrast. 

"intelligence, creativity, neatness" are meaningless without contrast.  If you have a new main character every episode, and the story has no contrast, then no amount of "intelligence, creativity, neatness" will fix it.

7 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

He has awful taste, hence vices like imbalance, unintelligence, uncreativity, disorderliness, etc.

?

Edited by thisintegrated

3 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

That's "certain way" is precisely what I was explaining here.  Contrast is the very thing that brings about balance and "the right proportions".

"intelligence, creativity, neatness" are meaningless without contrast.  If you have a new main character every episode, and the story has no contrast, then no amount of "intelligence, creativity, neatness" will fix it.

How much contrast do you want? Who is the most likely to fuck up contrasts?

10 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

How much contrast do you want? Who is most likely to fuck up contrasts?

Directing / story writing is an art form.  It's an art form as it's too complex to produce a formula for.

You can basically do anything as long as the thing you do next (or layer on top) is of a complimentary contrast.

If you have a gentle character, you might want to introduce an aggressive character.

If the setting is very refined and elegant, you may want a story that's vulgar/gross.

Breaking Bad had an ordinary teacher with a stable life become a meth manufacturer getting involved in murders.

GoT had central characters getting killed every few episodes without warning.  It made you feel safe, and then stirred shit up for contrast.  It would've still worked with half the characters/complexity.  What really made it good was the unpredictability, i.e. the actual events of the story contrasted the viewers' expectations.

Edited by thisintegrated

Directing / story writing is an art form.  It's an art form as it's too complex to produce a formula for.

Yeah.

You can basically do anything as long as the thing you do next (or layer on top) is of a complimentary contrast.

No. Remember feeling inspired? ;)

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

No. Remember feeling inspired? ;)

inspiration isn't planned, it's spontaneous.

You get inspired from making connections within randomness.

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

inspiration isn't planned, it's spontaneous.

I'm just talking about what makes something good.

19 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Music is an art form, so complex to where you can't produce a formula for it.

I think lyrics make people less lonely

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback