Bird Larry

Is anyone sick of lyrics in music?

92 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Just like a human and God are not the same thing . . . ?

..how is this relevant here?

Hedonism.

How so?  Actually one of my main long term goals is to become more hedonistic.  

You're in a minority, if you claim music has no emotional function. That's entirely the point it for which it exists, whether or not that emotional function is purely pleasurable or brings in an element of negative emotions into it.

I already said I use music to get high, aka euphoria, which you consider an emotion.  I'm extremely sensitive to euphoria.  More than anyone I've ever known.  But I don't consider myself emotional.  Euphoria, to me, just seems like "energy", and not a call to action like most emotions are.  I guess you could compare it more to food or sex than to emotion.  Is masturbation emotional because it feels good?  Is cheese emotional?

Edited by thisintegrated

3 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

How so?  Actually one of my main long term goals is to become more hedonistic.  

I meant music that only exists based on the pleasure principle with no actual merit meaningfully is for the most part pretty bad, with exceptions.

I already said I use music to get high, aka euphoria, which you consider an emotion.  I'm extremely sensitive to euphoria.  More than anyone I've ever known.  But I don't consider myself emotional.  Euphoria, to me, just seems like "energy", and not a call to action like every emotion is.

I just implied you had a narrow definition: "Music is when da musics make cool noises and melodies such vast euphoria comes reaching in."

Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

I meant music that only exists based on the pleasure principle with no actual merit meaningfully is for the most part pretty bad

Ok, I consider this as without any sort of emotional message.  No heartbreak/love crap.  Just pure stimulation.

Do you consider this "pretty bad" as there's nothing emotional here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMo5wx5ZZ4

I just implied you had a narrow definition: "Music is when da musics make cool noises and melodies such vast euphoria comes reaching in."

Are you complaining I'm not technical enough?  You wanna talk experimental music theory?

This is such a retarded thing to argue about.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

This is such a retarded thing to argue about.

29 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:
29 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Something like this, is stimulating and meaningful simultaneously. They are not exclusive at all, so there's no reason to value stimulation over meaning.

Even though the vocals are shoddy since he's vaguely imitating someone, it is both, if you're acute enough to discern the meaning; though it's very abstract.

5 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Something like this, is stimulating and meaningful simultaneously. They are not exclusive at all, so there's no reason to value stimulation over meaning.

Even though the vocals are shoddy since he's vaguely imitating someone, it is both, if you're acute enough to discern the meaning; though it's very abstract.

Video not available.

Of course it's better when there's emotion, but stimulation comes first. Always.

Here are a couple more examples with no real emotional message.  No sad/happy/loving/angry/etc,  Just raw stimulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vcJPKHJ3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10J-ygTZStE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKOo6yLf2Y

Edited by thisintegrated

2 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Of course it's better when there's emotion, but stimulation comes first. Always.

Emotion stimulates me. The overly-treble "ah, ah, ah, huh, huh, huh," of the first video didn't really get me. But I understand the aesthetic. But it's just underdeveloped and anemic, like music turning into a digital hollowed-out skeleton.

Emotion stimulates me. The overly-treble "ah, ah, ah, huh, huh, huh," of the first video didn't really get me. But I understand the aesthetic. But it's just underdeveloped and anemic, like music turning into a digital hollowed-out skeleton.

Yeah that one's underdeveloped, but gets the ideas across the best as it's so barebones.

"second lives" though is raw stimulation, yet I don't think it's really missing anything.

1 minute ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated You like those dance stimulations for the same reason you love anime, am I wrong?

It's related but not in any way I could really explain.

There are many reasons I like anime.  Anime has less filler and more actual "content" than your Downton Abbey or whatever you like to watch, but so did Game of Thrones.  I like music that's like GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime.  What do GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime have in common?  Figure that out, and you'll figure out my taste in music.

2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Lol, you just don't like music.????

lolwut

I like music.  You're the one who only cares about poetry.

I bet you don't even study it or play any instruments:P

7 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

????????????????????????????

6 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

lolwut

I like music.  You're the one who only cares about poetry.

I agree. @AtheisticNonduality has never played any instruments or studied it. You can see this when you read his first comment on this topic. 

Edited by Bird Larry

11 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

I like music that's like GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime.  What do GoT/Breaking Bad/Star Trek/Anime have in common?  Figure that out, and you'll figure out my taste in music.

Information density.

44 minutes ago, JoeVolcano said:

This is a Trent Reznor song about self-transcendence and solipsism:

And this one, which I used to listen to a lot when I was going through a solipsistic crisis . . . and the lyrics about mirrors and self-deceptions and cages.

This is a hate lyrics thread. Stop posting videos and keep hating lyrics :) 

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

This is a hate lyrics thread.

no

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

10 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Information density.

Yep, that's a big part of it.

But it's also just that they're all really good with strong visionaries behind them.

Star Trek - goal oriented, visionary, abstract, futuristic, existential, very tier 2, power dynamics, stakes, broad scale, ambitious, curious, happy but also dark.

Anime - goal oriented, character oriented, abstract, power dynamics, ambitious, curious, often existential, often broad scale, often futuristic/sci-fi, both dark and light, cute but also dark.

Breaking Bad - goal oriented, character oriented, power dynamics, ambitious, thriller, existential (motivations-in-life), very dark with some light.

GoT - goal oriented, character oriented, power dynamics, ambitious, thriller, existential (value of life), very dark with some light.

To really break this down I'd need to write a whole essay, but basically it's contrast and tonality.  Why does music use scales?  To have a focal centre within frequency.  Well music is no different to stories.  Stories also have a focal centre, just in the form of a protagonist and/or an objective.  Music's usually either happy or melancholic, major/minor, and stories, too, are usually either one.  I listen almost exclusively to music in minor, and the same goes for my taste in stories, I like them like GoT, a bit dark.  Then there's the arrangement.  In music I like a good exposition to capture my attention, then a long, intense build up, and then a crazy climax.  In stories my preference is 100% identical.  That's why isekais are so common in anime.  Isekais, naturally, have a powerful exposition as they just throw you into a whole new world!

Now, why do I like such an arrangement?  Why do I like dark stories and music?  Why do I like climaxes?  Contrast.

• Going from nothing into an exposition = contrast.
  • Going from a build up to a satisfying climax = contrast.
  • Light within darkness shines more brightly than darkness within light = contrast.

Light/dark, happy/sad, bright-colors/dark-colors, future/past, cute/ugly, fortune/tragedy, etc.  The more contrasting elements you have, the better.  Just think about your favorite series and you'll probably find there's a lot of contrasting elements to them.  Made in Abyss is a good example.  Has every extreme, and that's why it's the best anime of the current anime season.  But anime, in general, has much more contrast than live action series.  No problem switching back and forth between an alien planet, space, and a medieval civilization.  This would be near impossible with live action as you'd need to build expensive sets, and is why Avatar 2 is taking over a decade to make.

I guess I left out complexity.  That's another important one, but only comes after the previous two.  Complexity must be a result of the other two factors.

Edit: omg.. I just said I won't be writing an essay, and somehow ended up writing one????

Edited by thisintegrated