Bird Larry

Is anyone sick of lyrics in music?

92 posts in this topic

I'm getting tired of pop music, modern popular music having lyrics all the f* ing time. There are few who just do instrumentals and they all go to game osts or movie osts.

I don't know if anybody is willing to listen to regular music that aren't OSTs that have no lyrics. Bach and Mozart's pieces usually did not have lyrics, which made their music better. 

Why are people so addicted to lyrics? I'm not going to go far to say people have abused their hearing sense, but I really get irritated by lyrics. I know listening to poetry with the music can give us more pleasure with our ears, but excessive words can really be painful to me. Why does music have to have words! 

Edited by Bird Larry

Just a reflection of rampant stage Orange values of western society. That and a slow decline of healthy stage blue values 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Bird Larry said:

I'm getting tired of pop music, modern popular music having lyrics all the f* ing time.

Lol, maybe you should be listening to music with good lyrics as opposed to rubbish.

Also, sounds risk being too meaningless without proper linguistic context.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

19 minutes ago, Bird Larry said:

@AtheisticNonduality What's your definition of good lyric

Lyrics that are actually meaningful and have something to say, some information to give, some story to tell, some world to imagine, some access to truth, some access to the overarching story of all of history, etc.

I also feel this from time to time!! Maybe change the genre?

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P

48 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

@Bird Larry sorry if I don't  get it, but I seriously don't understand what the problem is. There are lots of genres and creators out there. And they are all easily accessible  so everyone can find whatever they like. So what am I wrong about  exactly?

Sometimes people want to vent...

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

@Bittu haha

I've got a bit depressed constantly listening to game or movie OSTs. I didn't want to listen to Mozart or Bach because if I kept listening to them, I felt like I was getting out of touch by society. 

Some MFs like listening to club music, in which I have no respect at all. haha. Not that I don't like some of them. 

Pop music in Korea, even in America just seems mostly dull to me. I don't know any instrumental music aside of electro music that actually intrigues me, which is sad. Electro music fulfills me only 80%. I need 100% satisfaction. Where can I get it. 

18 minutes ago, Bird Larry said:

@Bittu Where can I get it. 

Simple....create it. Provide the music you believe is missing.

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

There's a lot of great contemporary dance music and ambient music without lyrics. Of course Rock, Hip-Hop, Pop etc. will have lyrics, that's kind of the point of it.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Bird Larry

5 hours ago, Bird Larry said:

I'm getting tired of pop music, modern popular music having lyrics all the f* ing time. There are few who just do instrumentals and they all go to game osts or movie osts.

I don't know if anybody is willing to listen to regular music that aren't OSTs that have no lyrics. Bach and Mozart's pieces usually did not have lyrics, which made their music better. 

Why are people so addicted to lyrics? I'm not going to go far to say people have abused their hearing sense, but I really get irritated by lyrics. I know listening to poetry with the music can give us more pleasure with our ears, but excessive words can really be painful to me. Why does music have to have words! 

Because lyrics are a sub set of music as well, and what you typically get when you have both linguistic and musical intelligence working together, to create meaningful arrangement of sounds. Although yes, the key part here is meaningful arrangement of sounds, which most pop culture nowadays kinda miss, unfortunately we have gone deaf tone to both meaningful arrangement of music instruments and lyrics, with the over use of techno and electro modified voices and instruments.

However, there are a few very talented artists who can combine music and lyrics meaningfully, just check out Eminem. 

@AtheisticNonduality

bands like Arcadefire, Flobots, Jose Gonzalez, Bob Dylan, etc

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Bird Larry

Try Kashiwa Daisuke, Lambert, Radiohead, Crywolf, Koda, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, SYML, M83, Goodspeed You! Black Emperor,  Olafur Arnalds, Iamthemorning, Novo Amor, Harold Budd, Leprous, Bersarin Quartett, CLANN.

Some of my favourites songs are made by them.

Edited by Superfluo

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Also check out luna remix's, they are pretty good, techno genre with industrial rock and roll, with a bit of gaming ost.

This is some of the best musicianship I have heard, EVER. I cannot recommend this album highly enough. If there is such a thing as TIER 2 music - this is it xD

If you're looking for more great contemporary lyricless music check out Olafur Arnalds, Jon Hopkins, Ben Böhmer, David August, Max Richter - all great artists.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

There are like 3 pop songs that come to mind that my gym plays regularly that I kinda like, but I don't know what they're called -_-

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

What about meaningless lyrics with made up words?

But yeah, I generally couldn't care less about lyrics.

It just opens up the medium of music to those who can't understand/appreciate musicality.  I know people for whom melody/harmony/rhythm/scale/etc. mean nothing, and all they enjoy is the lyrics.  But at that point it's literally just poetry and idgaf about that.

I don't pay attention to the meaning of the lyrics but I know that most of my favorite songs would be reduced to trash if you simply got rid of the lyrics.

Check this out 

Edited by Machine