Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caspex

When someone asks "Do you believe in God?"

7 posts in this topic

(P.S This is more of a rant from pent up annoyance of years but I genuinely don't know what to do in such a situation and would like some advice.)

If it's some stranger asking me I'd just say either yes or no depending on the context since it wouldn't have any consequences. But if a friend asks me this, saying either yes or no comes with further assumptions and it's own set of questions. If I say I don't believe in God, they drown me in assumptions they have of Athiests, if I say Yes, they ask what's my religion. In reality I usually go with saying I am Agnostic but that has it's own set of problems as well, because it doesn't matter if they are Athiest or Religious, they try to 'convert' me because I haven't 'made up my mind'. They obviously realize not to force it and as good friends they don't want to force anything. But over years and months of talking and hanging out together you can notice how blatant it is that they wish you convert. This gets annoying.

When someone asks this question they don't want a long answer. I have tried explaining my viewpoint but at the end it's all for nothing. "So.. you do believe in God". What's more unfortunate is that most religious types don't distinguish properly between belief and knowing, so explaining anything becomes convoluted. I'd rather not go through the hassle if I am honest, because even after the explanation, my viewpoint is just thought of as weird(It's blatant). And who knows what will happen if I told any of them "I am God, and so are you". Most my friends are either religious or Agnostic. And the agnostics are really the ones that are the most chill since they don't really care so they never ask.

I would happily explain my viewpoint if my friend is willing to understand, but I don't really want to each time a friend asks as it takes times and comes with a lot of questions. What's a short answer? What's the best answer in your opinion?

6p312q.jpg

You made some good points, but overall you seem to care too much about what others will think. 

The best answer is your truth, in the best possible way the questioner can understand, given that you care enough to explain. What they'll think, is their problem.

If your answer puzzles the others, then use the argument Feynman uses here (6:43 - end)

Jung was bold enough to give this answer in an interview. It was his truth and it raised a lot of controversy (1:00 - end). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3RscGfkhE&ab_channel=TheBeezone

Edited by Kensho

Pretty much what Kensho said. The best answer IMO is the answer that comes from your heart. It may even get to the point where you realize it's not worth diving into it so you can gently pass on it and move on in the conversation like the question is nothing.

Personally, I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, and as a rule, I basically never discuss the actual truth about God. Because I know that the person listening is likely to misunderstand me and judge me to be insane. So I deliberately engage in obscurism and even at times selective honesty, to reinforce the status quo of Traditional Roman Catholicism, even in spite of its obvious errors. When it comes to how real spirituality relates to ordinary people, I basically have the mentality of a mobster. Just as guys in the mob of course deny everything and pretend not to be in the mob, so I also tend to deny everything and pretend not to be God-realized. I'm not saying you should necessarily model me, but my way makes engaging with normal society more efficient and less dangerous.

And btw, I of course don't actually have anything against the sitting Pope, but I oftentimes feel like he's just trying to troll Traditional Catholics with some of the things he says and does lol.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

I just say "I am God." Most of the time people will think its a joke and just move on. If they persist, I persist, and they will get uncomfortable enough to know better than bring this topic up again.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus