Tudo

Is it true that americans lack basic knowledge of geography?

8 posts in this topic

Or is it just a stereotype or a meme?

Well first off it's a broad generalization. If you're talking about a group of 330 million people living in 50 different states, there are bound to be a lot of differences and nuances.

That being said, it depends which country you compare them to. If you compare them to pretty much any first world country, they lack pretty much everything of importance, since (in my opinion) America doesn't cut it to be classified as a FWC anymore.

But if you compare America to Brazil for example, America starts to look pretty good on all fronts. (Well, except when it comes to their waistline xD)

Edited by CultivateLove

10 hours ago, CultivateLove said:

Well first off it's a broad generalization. If you're talking about a group of 330 million people living in 50 different states, there are bound to be a lot of differences and nuances.

That being said, it depends which country you compare them to. If you compare them to pretty much any first world country, they lack pretty much everything of importance, since (in my opinion) America doesn't cut it to be classified as a FWC anymore.

But if you compare America to Brazil for example, America starts to look pretty good on all fronts. (Well, except when it comes to their waistline xD)

Do you think southern European countries like Portugal count as first-world countries?

I'm a Swede, working for a US company, interacting with Americans (software engineers/managers) , and I have to say, when geograpyh comes up...

facepalm-annoyed.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X 

I suppose it's a product of the belief of being the center of the universe.

Anything else being irrelevant - somewhere "out there". 

Example, conversation between me, an NZ and a US manager. US manager not knowing where NZ was, reverting to "oh well Americans suck as geography ha-ha".

I'm pretty sure the US manager also thought I was in Switzerland. For some reason Americans struggle with differentiating between Sweden and Switzerland. Same shit, just some state somewhere in the country of Europe.

Not too many examples though, so no particular statistical grounds to my claims :D

Confirmation bias at play; I wouldn't have paid attention to all the times Americans were on point with their geography. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

6 minutes ago, Eph75 said:

I'm a Swede, working for a US company, interacting with Americans (software engineers but mostly. managers) , and I have to say, when geograpyh comes up...

facepalm-annoyed.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X 

I suppose it's a product of the belief of being the center of the universe.

Anything else being irrelevant - somewhere "out there". 

Example, conversation between me, an NZ and a US manager. US manager not knowing where NZ was, reverting to "oh well Americans suck as geography ha-ha".

I'm pretty sure the US manager also thought I was in Switzerland. For some reason they struggle with differentiating between Sweden and Switzerland. Same shit, just some state somewhere in the country of Europe.

Not too many examples though, so no particular statistical grounds to my claims :D

Confirmation bias at play; I wouldn't have paid attention to all the times Americans were on point with their geography. 

lol interesting.

This is a pet peeve of mine. The majority of people in the US couldn’t give less of a shit about geography.