Noahsteelers34

Water fasting for 5 days for meditation retreat but im already skinny

10 posts in this topic

I have been contemplating doing a 5-day meditation retreat at the end of this summer before my school year starts to reset my body and mind and get clearer on my life. The whole process of preparing food for 5 days is a little challenging because I will be staying at a camp sign with no access to a way to heat up or refrigerate food. Because of this, the idea of water fasting was appealing to me. My only concern is that I'm already rather skinny. I'm 6 ft tall and I weigh 145 lb. I think I would be fine, but I was just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of water fasting. How much muscle mass would I lose in the long run? after the initial loss of weight would I be able to put it back on rather quickly after I start eating again? Any other advice on water fasting?

Not an expert, though I have some experience.

I did something similar, a 6 day solo retreat, fasted (I got Covid, what better way to spend that time then fasted ?) though I was inside the whole time, not camping.

1. If it is your first fast, be prepared for intense cravings, uncomfortable even, after he first 2.5-3 days, the body enters into ketosis, so the next days will be much easier, though not without difficulty.
  2. When you break your fast, do it slowly, and with something easy to digest, such as bone broth, fruit juice, melon, grapes, etc.. give your digestive system time to engage after being "offline." Also, break your fast on a "good" day, meaning, there will be days during your fast where you feel shitty, emotionally and physically, even spiritually, be patient and wait for a day when you feel relatively good, and break the fast then.
  3. Lastly, do some research on your own, google it, find some articles/videos.
  4. As for the muscle loss, I wouldn't sweat it, its just 5 days, what you lose, can be gained back over the course of weeks and months.

Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes.

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

Loren Lockman on YouTube for all your fasting needs.

"You Create Magic" 

You're probably at about 15% body fat, you can lose 10 lbs no problem and only be on the edge of being underweight.

My biggest concern would be what kind of water you have access to at the campsite. Municipal water, well water? If it's old it might have lead pipes. If it's accessible by car you might want to bring in 25+ liters of water with you, otherwise you should really bring some way to purify it. If you're drinking bad water, the effects will be amplified while fasting.

@Noahsteelers34 Yes you will lose some muscle mass and fat but you will gain it back very quickly once you go back to your normal eating habits. 

Don’t overdo it if it’s your first fast. Consider maybe only 48 or 72 hours. It’ll still be wicked.

It will also likely be harder for you since you’re skinny. In general, the less fat you have, the less you should be fasting. Fasting is on the rage these days but you gotta be careful. You can take it too far.

Also, for the love of god do not use distilled or reverse osmosis water UNLESS you are going to add back in electrolytes. You will just piss out all your minerals and be constantly thirsty no matter how much you drink. Hydration is NOT just about water, it’s about electrolyte balance. They have fasting supplements these days you can purchase for this exact reason.

Last thing, make sure your prepare for feeling weak as shit. If you have energy, great. But don’t count on it. Assume you will just have to lie in bed all day.

Honestly if you’re doing a meditation retreat, I would find fasting to be counterproductive. You’re likely not going to be able to concentrate or feel motivated to do much of anything. 

As advised above, pack some dried fruits, mix a whole batch with some granola, seeds, nuts and bits of dark chocolate.

You can prep some energy balls too, dry flax crackers etc

Canned food is an option. You can throw heinz beans in a fire to heat up, i did that in the past during camping. That is...if you will end up having a campfire. Perhaps not during a meditation retreat. 

But fasting is an option for sure but what if you can't handle 5 days and end up with no food around? Your enjoyment of the experience may be diminished of you are not used to prolonged fasting

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@aurum I get wanting to take certain electro lights and minerals, I guess they call it snake juice. This guy is saying however that your body cannot truly fast when you are drinking this snake juice.

3 hours ago, Noahsteelers34 said:

@aurum I get wanting to take certain electro lights and minerals, I guess they call it snake juice. This guy is saying however that your body cannot truly fast when you are drinking this snake juice.

I would disagree. In my first hand experience with fasting, minerals and electrolytes are essential for maintaining hydration and staying healthy during a fast. It won’t reduce your benefits.

You will obviously have to come to your own conclusion who is correct.