LSD-Rumi

Ken Wilber's Boomeritis

9 posts in this topic

Ken Wilber believes in a rather strange and silly idea. He called it Boomeritis. It is his explanation why are we stuck in stage green ( he believes we reached green a long time ago and we are stuck at it). He says, green pluralism allowed for narcissistic tendencies of boomers to emerge and capture green and not allow it to move into teir two thinking. 

This from the book of everything. Don't know if he changed his mind tho.

What % of Boomers and Gen X does everybody estimate are at Stage Green?

I find it hard to imagine them stuck there because I don't think many ever reached it to begin with.

There were hippies in the 70s, most went back to being businessmen and housewives as they got older and reverted back to Stage Orange or lower.

The Boomers I know are all stuck in Stage orange. Constantly talking about retirement and investments, their kids jobs and salaries, how much their house is worth. Love giving super outdated advice to young people about how to get a job.

The ones not totally obsessed with money are a stage lower and obsessed with organized religion.

While I don't have a link handy, I do recall Ken Wilber more or less admitting that he had developed a shadow around SD-Green from his time in academia, stemming from the uphill battle he had in getting his ideas to be taken seriously in an environment that was still paradigm locked to post-modernism.

So I would take Wilber's predictions and proclamations around Green with a grain of salt due to his biases in this area.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@Yarco He etimates that about 20% are stage green and 2% are stage yellow. In practice, I think it is much lower than that. 

I would also enjoy it if someone post more hard evidence. Only thing I ever found was the cook-greuter model. I never know if the numbers are correct and where they stem from, actually. 

If you want to test ego development you can still buy a cook-greuter test that is scientifically valid but costs like 2-3k € IIRC to check the stage if hard numbers. I take her numbers mostly as it coincides with Wilber skeptecism that he mentions, if paid attention to. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356357233_Ego_Development_A_Full-Spectrum_Theory_Of_Vertical_Growth_And_Meaning_Making

I posted this years ago. 12+% apprently according to her research and her model. This map is also good if you just like the theory, I bet you could destroy it also completely. Many are stuck in stage 4 imo.

The numbers from their research in the year 2000's were lower then 2010's+. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263483083_Mature_Ego_Development_A_Gateway_to_Ego_Transcendence

Leadership-Maturity-Framework-by-VeDA-1.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

IMO, and without really knowing what Ken really stands for in this matter, I interpret this as, especially, a generation that has been pulled up into green in a manner too fast to have integrated other stages to be able to produce a healthy green manifestation, and from which, they are preventing themselves from developing further towards making the second tier leap as that requires a more balanced development. Fed by the entitlement and narcissism of the generation, not just those green. 

I'm not seeing this as a problem, as Ken seems (?) to do. I see this as a natural unfolding where one group sunconsciously facilitate the development of a lesser so group. It's the feature of the system, not a glitch, no matter how disliked, problematic, or frustrating it might become, and regardless of the negative side-effects it will have. 

The post-modern problematics forces a different group of people to come up with new ways of thinking to navigate around this problematic, paradigm locked green. 

Considering a hopscotch nature of development where some stand firmer in the collectivist stages and others in the individualistic stages, this resistence might very well be the catalyzer individuals standing firmer in the individualistic orange value base to develop into a less stereotypical and more integrated green, possibly transcending into second tier quicker, as a result, than those paradigm locked into green. 

We're already seeing a pre-green reaction, and what could be the birth of a green value base that does integrate previous stages in a more complete way than what these narcissitic boomers current would stand for.

It's simply the pressure build-up that inevitably catalyzes development.

The increasing complexity of the world, which is exponential, could be said is creating circumstances that make that second tier transition more difficult [e.g. polarization made possible by social media] , but I'd rather define that increasing complexity the very base for which the required development is currently being catalyzed.

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

@Yarco I don't really think a lot of Gen X will ever Awaken, considering their shallow approach to life...aka short attention span..stuck on phones, etc 

@Ramu <-This mf really just conflated Gen X and Gen Z in a discussion about Baby Boomers.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.