How to be wise

Is 3:40 a special time for meditation?

65 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

My conclusions are grounded in sufficient direct experience to give me as much confidence about them as one could possibly have. 

Yet u haven't made a single argument to back up your statements. You're just calling and labeling things that u don't like as new agey without any real back up. Empty statements.

Edited by Salvijus

Just now, Salvijus said:

Yet u haven't made a single argument to back up your statements. You're just calling and labeling things as new agey without any real back up. Empty statements.

Well you can take it or leave it. I didn't pick this fight.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

I'll just leave this here:

You're your own guru.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

1 minute ago, Nilsi said:

Well you can take it or leave it. I didn't pick this fight.

Im just exposing that your statements are baseless. It's only fair.

Edited by Salvijus

5 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

You're your own guru.

Exactly. Sadhguru is not some biohacking nerd, he's just sensitive to the cultural context he teaches in. You can do whatever works for you, if you are willing to be independent and autonomous.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

16 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

You're your own guru.

What does that have to do with anything

I think what he is doing here is giving his more superstitious/open minded followers a routine that they can base on their superstition. The routine of meditating at that specific time every day will bring more stability to these people who are probably more prone to living unorganized lives. Also, his reasoning will resonate with people who would benefit from this habit the most. And, it would force them to go to bed earlier as well, and these kind of people might be more prone to stay up late at night. 

Just some ideas that came to mind. There could be more reasons for this than he gives in his explanation. But for more superstitious/open minded people, giving a more logical and detailed explanation is not always the best way to make things stick. These kind of people enjoy when things are left out, it makes it seem a bit more exciting and magical to believe in. And if you can keep that magical, mysterious vibe in your life at the same time as having structure and routine in your life you've cheated the system a bit. Many times I feel scientific explanation and routines etc can take the excitement out of life and make it into a mechanical process. This could be Sadghuru bringing his followers structure, routine, stability, without taking away the mystery and magic of life 

That's just what I think.

6 minutes ago, Asayake said:

I think what he is doing here is giving his more superstitious/open minded followers a routine that they can base on their superstition. The routine of meditating at that specific time every day will bring more stability to these people who are probably more prone to living unorganized lives. Also, his reasoning will resonate with people who would benefit from this habit the most. And, it would force them to go to bed earlier as well, and these kind of people might be more prone to stay up late at night. 

Just some ideas that came to mind. There could be more reasons for this than he gives in his explanation. But for more superstitious/open minded people, giving a more logical and detailed explanation is not always the best way to make things stick. These kind of people enjoy when things are left out, it makes it seem a bit more exciting and magical to believe in. And if you can keep that magical, mysterious vibe in your life at the same time as having structure and routine in your life you've cheated the system a bit. Many times I feel scientific explanation and routines etc can take the excitement out of life and make it into a mechanical process. This could be Sadghuru bringing his followers structure, routine, stability, without taking away the mystery and magic of life 

I totally agree.

13 minutes ago, Asayake said:

U guys are weird, how do u guys even come up with such weird explanations. How hard can it be to consider the idea that it can literally be true that different times have different impact on meditation and it's not just placebo or clever manipulation to make people wake up early in the morning.

Edited by Salvijus

8 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

U guys are weird, how do u guys even come up with such weird explanations. How hard can it be to consider the idea that it can literally be true that different times have different impact on meditation and it's not just placebo or clever manipulation to make people wake up early in the morning.

Sadhguru also extensively talks about various hindu deities or fringe occult practices. That stuff is there to add some color and relate it to the people that are following him. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, Gesundheit2 said:

I don't know what time it is for everyone, but for me it's between 5 and 6 AM. My consciousness feels very different at that time. I experience an increased lucidity and expansion of state. I'd first noticed that phenomenon a few years back, but didn't give it much attention. But it's still happening till this day. Though, it does not happen in any other time in the day or night. And I don't know any possible explanations. I will see the video, maybe there's something there.

EDIT: Nope. Bullshit explanation.

I think one is the sharpest first thing in the morning.  For me that's when insights come..even when I'm still I'm bed.  You can figure stuff out instantly that maybe you had been struggling with for weeks and it will just come to you.   Paradoxically this is also the best time for no mind meditation as well.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 hour ago, Asayake said:

Yeah, I'm sure he thinks all that on the fly.

Come on, dude. Just because the guy has a beard and is well-known does not make him a God. If I say something more complicated and nuanced, you will probably assume simplicity and only look for superficial meaning regardless of my words. And if you have a problematic history with me, you will automatically assume devilry and mischief even if I'm saying good stuff that could benefit you.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Salvijus I can tell that you love sadhguru, and you want to defend his reputation. But his claims are simply undefendable.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

4 hours ago, Nilsi said:

but I'm not so foolish to think that there is any absolute reality to these things.

xD

No, these ideas have validity because of their objectivity, the fact they are patterns of imagery that correlate with the instincts exactlydemonstrably.

Jan_Matejko,_Stańczyk-2.jpg

19 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Salvijus I can tell that you love sadhguru, and you want to defend his reputation. But his claims are simply undefendable.

It's just strange that people are completely incapable of allowing any possiblity that different times of the day can have different impact on meditation. It just boggles my mind totally what is so unbelievable about it. So obviously false. And yet when asked about it directly nobody has any argument to back up that perspective. That's as lame as it gets.

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus But why is 3:40 a better time for meditation? That’s such a random time. And if it is true that 3:40 is a better time for meditation, why haven’t all the other meditation teachers caught on to this? 

I’m really trying to understand sadhguru here. I respect him as well. There’s no doubt he is an awakened master.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 hours ago, How to be wise said:

And if it is true that 3:40 is a better time for meditation, why haven’t all the other meditation teachers caught on to this? 

actually if you type "bhrama muhudram" or "meditation before sunrise" in google you'll find dozens of people talking about it. Mostly from yoga and ayurveda traditions. Other traditions may have different names for this period. I think this knowledge existed for thousands of years already. 

And it's not that 3.40am is a magical number. It's has smth to do with a planets position to the sun. At least that's what the video says. If u watched the video then u probably know as much as i do lol.

Here's a good example of another video demonstrating the kind of understanding and logic that is behind yogic traditions.

Edited by Salvijus

42 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

It's has smth to do with a planets position to the sun. At least that's what the video says. If u watched the video then u probably know as much as i do lol.

I never believe someone on blind faith. They have to provide the necessary evidence for their claims. Unfortunately I haven’t found it in sadhguru’s videos.

@How to be wise

If u search the internet a bit u may find more information about it. Maybe some more evidence as well.

• According to the International Journal of Yoga and Allied Sciences, during the pre-dawn period, there is the availability of nascent oxygen in the atmosphere. This nascent oxygen easily mixes with hemoglobin forming oxyhemoglobin, which has the following benefits:

Boosts immunity

Increases energy level

Helps maintain the balance of blood pH

Relieves pain, soreness, and cramps

Enhances the absorption of minerals and vitamins

I think it's scientificly provable that human system functions somewhat differently at different times of the day. A jump from that to what sadhguru says is really small imo.

Edited by Salvijus