Questioner

What is a dream?

58 posts in this topic

@Someone here agreed. I lean towards that God has split it's mind into a million pieces. Still One mind and still Non dual. Makes perfect sense.

You did not (nor can you) divide yourself into multiple beings. You will only ever be your single self.

Edited by Questioner

@Godishere yes you got it .

Non duality teaches that consciousness is the only actual existence. This is obviously quite different from the understanding of the solipsist. 

Solipsism is a theory holding that I can know nothing but my own modifications and that I am the only existent thing. It is like saying, I exist but everyone else could just be my dream. There is a definite “me” and “other” duality in solipsism.

Nonduality is that there is no other. In fact, the “I” is also a fiction of thought. “My own modifications” are part of the illusion of duality. There is no “me” or “my”. Duality is an illusion…there is only nonduality and no other.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 minute ago, Questioner said:

You did not (nor can you) divide yourself into multiple beings. You will only ever be your single self.

Actually you did just that because you are Infinity.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

Why? It's a gem.  Listen to that enough times and you might awaken :)

@Inliytened1 I agree, it is excellent. His understanding of the nature of reality has greatly expanded since that episode was recorded. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@Inliytened1 I agree, it is excellent. His understanding of the nature of reality has greatly expanded since that episode was recorded. 

Even in spite of this, that video is still incredibly relevant, I'm not even certain what kind of changes Leo would make to it if he were to update it. He'd leave it mostly the same as it was I'd imagine.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

@JuliusCaesar True. A deeper understanding of the different levels of imagination and dreaming would be helpful. Perhaps he has said all he knows on the subject. 

47 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@JuliusCaesar True. A deeper understanding of the different levels of imagination and dreaming would be helpful. Perhaps he has said all he knows on the subject. 

Now i follow you.  Yes.  An expanded episode on the dream itself and how Infinite Consciousness manifests the dream would be good.  But this would be for advanced practitioners like yourself who have already awoken yet questions remain as to God's intricate design.   But for the guy just wanting to wake up this episode is perfect. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

7 hours ago, Questioner said:

Do you think the characters you encounter in your dreams at night are experiencing? Do you think the people you encounter when you wake up are experiencing? 

There is no way of knowing. It certainly seems as though others are having their own experience. When you interact with the characters in your dream at night, they will react in certain ways, giving you the impression that they are experiencing; however, when you wake up, you know for a fact that it was all in your mind: the only one who was experiencing was you.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

9 minutes ago, The Mystical Man said:

There is no way of knowing. It certainly seems as though others are having their own experience.

@The Mystical Man I agree. However, my questioning of dream characters during lucid dreams and other experiences I have had during OBE's makes me think there is a difference in dream characters and people in waking reality. If you are able to lucid dream try questioning people in your dreams and see what it reveals for you. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@The Mystical Man I agree. However, my questioning of dream characters during lucid dreams and other experiences I have had during OBE's makes me think there is a difference in dream characters and people in waking reality.

I'd say the difference is that dream characters are all aspects of my personal psyche, whereas people are unique sparks of the Infinite. The dreams that we have at night seem to be smaller, flimsier, and more neurotic versions of the Big Dream that's occurring in Infinite Mind.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

2 minutes ago, The Mystical Man said:

I'd say the difference is that dream characters are all aspects of my personal psyche, whereas people are unique sparks of the Infinite.

@The Mystical Man I would agree. During lucid dreams when I begin asking several probing questions of dream characters they become nonsensical in their answers. 

1 minute ago, The Mystical Man said:

I'd say the difference is that dream characters are all aspects of my personal psyche, whereas people are unique sparks of the Infinite. The dreams that we have at night seem to be smaller, flimsier, and more neurotic versions of the Big Dream that's occurring in Infinite Mind.

This only holds true for ordinary human dreams, some dreams I've had, and others I've read reports of clearly violate this apparent rule. Unfortunately, however, within the limits of my knowledge at present, the easiest way to induce the kind of change I'm describing here is also potentially rather dangerous, and as such I'm reluctant to suggest it.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

@Questioner

On 7/30/2022 at 0:38 AM, Questioner said:

The question of whether my life is a dream is something I have been pondering a while since so many people have told me my life is a dream. So my questions are...

I find it strange that people claim their life is a dream when they are still living in this world. Isn't it only appropriate to call something a dream once you have woken up from it? And absolutely no human has ever woken up from their life otherwise they wouldn't be here to tell us. Thus the claim seems to be absolutely unsubstantiated. 

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what people mean. Maybe my definition is out of whack. For me a dream is an experience that is not based on sensory input.

What is a dream in your view? What is your definition and on what grounds do you definitively claim that this is a dream? Thank you for your help.

so many people, in real life or in the internet? It's fine, but if you got any practical issue, and the crowd your in all is saying it's just a dream, I'd be worried.

Yes, it's unsubstantiated objectively, but subjectively it is. It's just very tricky to validate it.

Likely you are misinterpreting, but that's okay for now. You'll eventually get it.

For me, real life and dreaming are entangled in my senses. Literally, if I don't have the sense, it doesn't exist. If my eyes cannot see, no colour or shapes exists at all. No ears? No sounds. No feeling, numbness? No feelings at all. I'm only able to know what is real, and what is a dream, from the differences in consistency and inconsistency in object permanence around me from my senses, from my experiences in life so far.

20 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

Now i follow you.  Yes.  An expanded episode on the dream itself and how Infinite Consciousness manifests the dream would be good.  But this would be for advanced practitioners like yourself who have already awoken yet questions remain as to God's intricate design.   But for the guy just wanting to wake up this episode is perfect. 

You speak very authoratively 

Can you tell me your experiences ? Where does all this come from

4 hours ago, JoeVolcano said:

Forget about this God stuff and infinity and grand metaphysical mumbo jumbo for a minute. Get back down to earth and to simple reason. If you were just your brain it would still be the same thing. Your brain is generating the sense of self and other. It's just an imputation of the mind, and it is learned. You weren't born with it.

Do your thoughts have experiences? A night-time dream is just a bunch of thoughts. The people in your night-time dreams are just a bunch of thoughts. No different from any other thoughts that you're having right now. Do your thoughts have their own subjective experience? No of course not.

All your perceptions are like that. Including perceptions of what you call "reality" and other people. They are all made of the same thought-stuff, because they are all just images in the theatre of your mind. This cartesian theatre is all there is to apparent reality. Just without the little homunculus.

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi