no_name

Moving to another country/city - where do I start?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was wondering, for people who made the big move, how did you decide which country/city to move to? 

Why did you decide to move?

Some of my considerations/wish list for my new city/country include:

• Not too many people - I am introverted and busy cities with lots of people tire me down.
  • Lots of healthy food options and fitness classes.
  • Beautiful nature with lots of hiking options - my current city beyond sucks for this.
  • An ocean or sea and mountains would be a big major plus.
  • Not too crazy workaholic stage orange culture - I hear from my friends who moved to US recently that the corporate culture is brutal there, everyone works overtime. Culture where people work to live and not otherwise. 
  • A country that actually has a culture and is not multicultural - I believe the opposite is a great recipe for feeling like you don't belong anywhere
  • Lots of vacations (I currently have 4 weeks at my current country) and maternity leaves - is it true that US only has only 2 weeks of paid materinity?! 
  • Nothing too cold, although I do like nice winter Harry Potter vibes

Any suggestions for which city/country fits my description? I am only considering Europe or North America - Europe would be my first choice, but I only know a little bit of German. So far I like Switzerland, San Diego (when I was visiting downtown was practically empty during the work week, it was beautiful, is it usually like that?), and Orange County area in California - something about California has a home-y vibe to it, what could it be? Is it because so many good shows were filmed there? Big Bang Theory, Mom? Are there any other not very populated cities in California to consider?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

How do you know the city you live in is not for you? What are the tell tale signs you should move? How do you make the right choice when moving? Moving is a big hustle, it’s not like buying a car that you can sell later on. Do you do a test drive and live in it for a bit? Do you travel around a lot to see which city fits you most? 

Edited by no_name

From the description, it sounds to me like Italy’s the best option. If it’s not too personal, why the desire to move?

Posted (edited)

@Willie I don’t like the current city I live in, the climate, the people, the lack of culture, the size, it’s very flat in terms of nature, not enough good dating options for me

I’d consider Italy, but I don’t speak Italian 😞

Edited by no_name

5 hours ago, no_name said:

I’d consider Italy, but I don’t speak Italian 😞

You don't seriously expect to be able to live in a country without knowing the language, right ?

If you want all of those previously listed benefits, altough I'm not even certain those can be found in a single country, you would need to pay the price and learn the language. I would look in Portugal/Spain/Italy, altough their economy is not great and you will feel quite limited budget wise at the end of the day.

If you only speak english and do not want to learn anything else you can basically exclude the whole of europe except the UK :P

Also for dating options it's better if the city you're moving in is bigger.

For me it's the people. Im currently scouting through Italy and they definitely have the vibe. Not everywhere though.

If you have never left your hometown there is also a big chance for Growth as well, as you have to do a lot of stuff and can't rely on others so much.

One Idea that came to my mind - Make some small bets before deciding on the move - Go live in X country for a month. Travel to 5-10 different locations and see If and what you like. Taste from the buffet because committing to  filling your plate.

Thanks for the post, I'm also considering Moving to another country.

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

I live in the Alps (Austria). It's very beautiful and the people here are very kind and reasonable, not at all what I was used to from good ol' Germany. Definitely worth it, although there isn't a whole lot going on here in terms of culture or opportunities to socialize. I'd say this is the ideal place if you just want to work on your Dharma without too many distractions.

"We all must be, and can only be, a light unto ourselves."

Make sure that the country/city you choose offers the right opportunities for the things you want to accomplish in your life. 

Posted (edited)

On 7/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, Nilsi said:

Alps (Austria)

Yooo, I'm coming with a truck next winter to crash at your place.

:D get it? 

Edited by MarkKol

I like canada, pro psychedelic the basic ones, easy to immegrate

I was reading your bullet points and I was thinking "Come to Switzerland". You got everything from your list. There's no ocean but we have lakes and the Mediterranean isn't even that far. Not knowing French, German, or Italian at the beginning is fine because most people speak English well anyways, we kinda have to in order to speak to the other parts of the country. You should learn your local language once you do move here though.

I think if you're emigrating to any country on Earth, the biggest difficulty will be getting a job. You have to find a job and get hired here before being able to move and, though I've never tried, I have to assume it's harder if you're emigrating.

@Emrie would I be able to work if I only know German and none of French or Italian? 

Also, how is dating in Switzerland? Are people getting married early or is it ok to still be single in your 30s? 

On 2022-07-29 at 7:40 AM, Nilsi said:

although there isn't a whole lot going on here in terms of culture or opportunities to socialize

Why so? Could you please give more details to this? 

16 hours ago, no_name said:

@Emrie would I be able to work if I only know German and none of French or Italian? 

Yeah you don't have to learn all languages of course. Only the one in the specific place you go to. Since 60% of the population speaks German, you have access to most of the country. Don't go to Genève or Lausanne, for example, as we speak French here.

16 hours ago, no_name said:

Also, how is dating in Switzerland? Are people getting married early or is it ok to still be single in your 30s? 

Yeah I know plenty of people still single in their 30's, you're more than fine.

On 31.7.2022 at 11:26 PM, no_name said:

Why so? Could you please give more details to this? 

Well, historically there hasnt been much culture happening here. People lived in their huts and had small farms and some trade amongst each other. The population density is not high enough for much culture to emerge here. Of course modernity has arrived here as well, but its really just the bare minimum for a funcitoning society. Its not like vienna that has been a cultural hotspot for centuries, or like L.A. or whatever, where enough people live for a culture to rapidly grow. Its quite rural here and thats beautiful if you love nature and dont want to be distracted, but if youre looking for a living flourishing culture, this is not the place for you.

"We all must be, and can only be, a light unto ourselves."