Death_

How hard is it to add an "Delete Account" button in a forum?

6 posts in this topic

Any devs here? I just came to realize that there happens to be no "Delete Account" button in this forum. How hard is it to add a feature to just remove an account from a website? 

Hard, and Leo has previously refused to add features like a "dark mode" to the forum saying it'd be too much work, so there's not a good precedent for such things.

But on the other hand I think to be GDPR complaint for all EU users, they need some way to request their account/data be deleted.

The forum runs on Invision Community (see the footer on every page of the forum). There is an Invision plugin you can pay $20 + $10/year for called "Delete My Account" that would allow users to request their account be deleted and then Admins/Mods can see the requests and finalize it: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7611-delete-my-account/ . But not really that much more functionality than just DMing Leo and asking directly.

Atm there's only about 1 new person joining the forum each week, so I don't know if there's enough demand to warrant paying even $20 for such a feature. Let alone investing dozens of hours custom coding the feature in.

Another big problem is that a bunch of people who've previously requested their account deleted end up regretting it and wanting to come back, and it can mess up a bunch of stuff on the back-end like their ability to send private messages when their account gets reinstated. If you make it as easy as clicking a button in a fit of rage, you'll get a lot more people deleting and regretting it.

What would be nice is something where you request deletion, then you have to not log into your account for 30+ days before the deletion actually occurs. That would filter out the people who impulsively ragequit and then change their mind. But that's unlikely to happen too.

Instead of deleting. Set a long password that you won't remember.

Or start deleting posts one by one.

Not a big problem if you got few posts.

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

It was removed deliberately because people were abusing it.

Send me a PM if you seriously want your account deleted. But think twice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Why can't you just stop coming to the website?

I didn't use the website in over a year for a while.

4 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

Why can't you just stop coming to the website?

I didn't use the website in over a year for a while.

I didn't understand what you meant.