Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayneleekw

Is Enlightenment and Spirituality a coping mechanism for our undeveloped species?

11 posts in this topic

I have been engaging in spiritual teachings and practices. But questions would run through my head in my daily life now as I seek answers based on readings and videos. 

Is spiritual pursuit and enlightenment from thousands of years ago until now just a coping mechanism because we are still rather undeveloped? Because survival was so harsh and brutal (and still is) that some (monks, yogis, etc.) would need to forego it all and meditate until we "trick our brains" into thinking that we don't want anything anymore? And that there is "God's Love" altogether? 

As the world becomes more scientifically advanced, quality of life increases, and we become so good at survival, will we look back at ourselves as a species and think that spirituality was all just a cope for a time when we just weren't smart enough in the material world? 

Let's say humanity actualizes its potential in the physical world. We are rocketing from one planet to the next. We have infinite resources. Nobody is poor or struggling. No wars or poverty. Our bodies and minds merge perfectly with technology (the singularity). Physical immortality and perfection. We can get everything we want at a whim. How would that satisfaction compare to "enlightenment"?

Because I remember when a few years ago, I had some money and backpacked three exotic countries in 4 months straight, riding a motorbike, climbing volcanoes, scuba diving, meeting beautiful people of different cultures. I was very happy. Conditionally happy, but I felt bliss from beginning to end for the most part. So if we can multiply that ability to the infinite times, what's the point of traditional "enlightenment?"

There's this war in my mind between human/scientific advancement and spirituality. I'm looking for answers, but in the end, I know there's just one ultimate Truth.

Edited by wayneleekw

No.

You need awakening to the nature of reality . Which is pure mystery and magic .that's why its called "mysticism ". Because existence is irreduciblely mystical.  

But none of it will make any sense to you until you have some nondual insights. 

Do you even meditate ?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 minute ago, wayneleekw said:

@Someone here I do. Just started out at 20 minutes a day going for I think two weeks now. 

Great ?  .

Keep meditating everyday.  The ideal should be 1 hour every day . Once you master it ,you will shut down the mind .and when you shut down the mind you will  experience reality as clearly as possible .and you will understand mystical experiences and mysticism. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Yeah I think so. It doesn't mean the things being said are not TRUE, but I had the exact precise same thought many times... Coping for shitty B.C. Quality of Life.

Idgaf about spirituality at all to be honest. My interest in the topic was forced on me by intense drug trip ego deaths.

6 hours ago, wayneleekw said:

I have been engaging in spiritual teachings and practices. But questions would run through my head in my daily life now as I seek answers based on readings and videos. 

Is spiritual pursuit and enlightenment from thousands of years ago until now just a coping mechanism because we are still rather undeveloped? Because survival was so harsh and brutal (and still is) that some (monks, yogis, etc.) would need to forego it all and meditate until we "trick our brains" into thinking that we don't want anything anymore? And that there is "God's Love" altogether? 

As the world becomes more scientifically advanced, quality of life increases, and we become so good at survival, will we look back at ourselves as a species and think that spirituality was all just a cope for a time when we just weren't smart enough in the material world? 

Let's say humanity actualizes its potential in the physical world. We are rocketing from one planet to the next. We have infinite resources. Nobody is poor or struggling. No wars or poverty. Our bodies and minds merge perfectly with technology (the singularity). Physical immortality and perfection. We can get everything we want at a whim. How would that satisfaction compare to "enlightenment"?

Because I remember when a few years ago, I had some money and backpacked three exotic countries in 4 months straight, riding a motorbike, climbing volcanoes, scuba diving, meeting beautiful people of different cultures. I was very happy. Conditionally happy, but I felt bliss from beginning to end for the most part. So if we can multiply that ability to the infinite times, what's the point of traditional "enlightenment?"

There's this war in my mind between human/scientific advancement and spirituality. I'm looking for answers, but in the end, I know there's just one ultimate Truth.

If this is a question in your head then please abandon Spirituality. Go pursue those things you desire. Why should you do Spirituality? You are not ready to do Spirituality if you are thinking and asking these questions and there is nothing wrong with that. So go forth and enjoy the road!!! When you are ready to do Spirituality you will do it. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

15 minutes ago, RMQualtrough said:

Yeah I think so. It doesn't mean the things being said are not TRUE, but I had the exact precise same thought many times... Coping for shitty B.C. Quality of Life.

Idgaf about spirituality at all to be honest. My interest in the topic was forced on me by intense drug trip ego deaths.

And that is perfectly fine nobody needs to do Spirituality just drop it all together and pursue what you desire. The secret to life is everything is Spiritual anyway, so even when you think you aren't doing Spirituality...you are!!! Spirituality is more about changing your perspective, that's more of a perceptual change a paradigm shift. So go forth and live your life how you best see fit. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

@Someone here @Razard86 @Leo Gura Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to meditation and this forum. I had a good routine going a few years ago but I fell off. I was going to start a new topic on this but I figured I should just ask someone. I hope that's ok.

Is it necessary for me to sit in a certain pose during meditation? Or can I just sit in a chair? What about mudras? Are they necessary?

Thank you so much. I know these are very noob questions. Much love.

@wayneleekw The spirituality of today is void of so much which was well known long ago; it's like our science, philosophy, religion, and art, all of which are filled with participants who straw man the "greats" of the past while claiming they are superior and have "upgraded" the field; it's a sad joke.

Consider Alchemy. Most think it's about turning base metals into gold or that it refers to transforming ones interior when in reality I'm seeing that there was and is, much more going on.

https://www.alchemywebsite.com/bookshop/index.html

https://www.alchemywebsite.com/texts.html

https://www.alchemywebsite.com/bibliog.html (note the "4642 records of pre-1800 books and 4000 entries from 120 libraries"

http://gnosis.org/library/hermet.htm

With all that said, for the majority I see that their relationship with notions of "enlightenment", "spirituality", "religion", in many cases it is used as a coping mechanism indeed.

I think most should work more simply.  For example, the four noble truths and in particular the eight fold path. In observing oneself in relations to  understanding, thoughts, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness, and concentration, in honest observation and observing the causes and effects of oneself in relations to these 8, one can begin to see how they create their misery and in turn one can begin to act accordingly and in turn one will align themselves back into harmony where they are at peace (whole) and rested in joy. 

Edited by Johnny Galt

I think that everything that exists is spiritual.

Meditating, having sex, doing yoga, socializing, eating, fighting, it's all spiritual because our spirit/consciousness is involved. 

The main difference is how much our consciousness is involved and how aware we are. There are degrees of awareness.

Doing one night stand casual sex requires less awareness than doing tantric sex with an intimate loved one.

Or declaring a war because of ideologic reasons requires less awareness than cooperating with another country for a positive purpose. 

Dancing a trendy dance just because it's popular requires less awareness than doing a dancing meditation to clean your kundalini.

Sitting quietly and thinking in loops about some argument that you had in the past without being able to stop requires less awareness than meditating, being present and looking at any thought without judgement.

I do agree that some people use what the majority consider "spirituality" to escape. But if they go deeper into conscious spiritual work, they easily will find that it's harder than just being concerned with survival.

I think that there are people who are born more "spiritual" and have less desire to be involved with more "earthy" stuff. Maybe because they burned through their karma in their past lives and exhausted all the survival aspects of life so that now they naturally crave to move forward in consciousness development. 

Still, even the people who are not that "spiritual" can get benefits from a bit of spiritual teachings, meditation and ancient yoga technics.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

On 27/07/2022 at 8:40 PM, cupofwater said:

Is it necessary for me to sit in a certain pose during meditation? Or can I just sit in a chair? What about mudras? Are they necessary?

I'd say it's whatever position allows you to feel physically comfortable, relaxed, and alert - there's no one position that's going to be optimal for everyone, I don't think, you've just got to figure out what's best for you personally. Me personally, I prefer to sit in the half-lotus, with my hips raised above the level of my knees, because I feel like that position gives me a good, stable foundation and allows my body to sit comfortably and breathe freely. As I say, though, that might not necessarily be best for you, but it could be an option for you.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan